Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2023, 09:43 PM   #1

Default Macerator question

I've bought a new FloJet to replace dead one for my 2011 Airstream Interstate. I have a friend who can install it for me but my question is whether it can be replaced with the tanks needing emptying? If not, I have no idea how to empty tanks with the macerator dead. None of my prior motorhomes had macerators so I'm lost on this. To phrase this better, can the FloJet brand macerator be replaced without opening either dump valve? Are the dump valves between the macerator and the tanks? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 01:57 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
I've bought a new FloJet to replace dead one for my 2011 Airstream Interstate. I have a friend who can install it for me but my question is whether it can be replaced with the tanks needing emptying? If not, I have no idea how to empty tanks with the macerator dead. None of my prior motorhomes had macerators so I'm lost on this. To phrase this better, can the FloJet brand macerator be replaced without opening either dump valve? Are the dump valves between the macerator and the tanks? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Yes the dump valves are between the macerator and tanks. But you will still have to deal with about a quart of nasty water when you remove the macerator.

Good luck - I've done it twice on my 2013 Interstate before I sold it.
Old 10-30-2023, 05:48 PM   #3

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Yes the dump valves are between the macerator and tanks. But you will still have to deal with about a quart of nasty water when you remove the macerator.

Good luck - I've done it twice on my 2013 Interstate before I sold it.
Thanks so much. Great to know this before we try and take the dead one off.
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

There should also be a clean out fitting like a 3-4" threaded plug near where the gray and black tanks meet the suction side of the macerator. You can use a tank wand or similar device to wash all the nastiness out of the way before pulling the pump.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:05 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
There should also be a clean out fitting like a 3-4" threaded plug near where the gray and black tanks meet the suction side of the macerator. You can use a tank wand or similar device to wash all the nastiness out of the way before pulling the pump.
There was nothing like that on my 2013 Airstream Interstate. I did add a manual dump outlet when I rebuilt the sewage system.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:21 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Hi,

"a quart of nasty water when you remove the macerator. "

I do not have this problem as after the black tank is empty, I just run grey water and then clean water thru the black tank and the macerator before removing the macerator. I have clear 45 connect into the macerator so I know then the system looks clean enough. Keeps the black tank and macerator clean.
Dave-DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:22 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-DJ View Post
Hi,

"a quart of nasty water when you remove the macerator. "

I do not have this problem as after the black tank is empty, I just run grey water and then clean water thru the black tank and the macerator before removing the macerator. I have clear 45 connect into the macerator so I know then the system looks clean enough. Keeps the black tank and macerator clean.
Yes that helps - but there is still some contaminated water left in the sewage lines. Clean is a relative term when speaking of the macerator.