Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #1

Default New to RVs : Buying Used, Need Some Advice

We are very close to buying our first RV. We are buying a used Class B. I have a few questions I need answered. I've read a lot of forum threads but I'll throw it out there anyway and hopefully somebody kind-hearted enough would give input.

Within our budget we can afford the following. The prices are not the same but we just want to end up with the best one.

1. 2012 Airstream Interstate 3500 Extended (MB Diesel)

I read so many build issues with AS Interstate and although we really like the interior and the features, I am quite scared to babysit the issues. Are these forum-reported issues true?

2. 2008 Pleasure-Way Excel TS (Ford Gas)

We love this. I think this is at the top of the list. It does not look very stealthy unlike the modern look of Class B, but it will work. But how about the Chassis and it being a Gas van? I plan to do a lot of traveling. Is this going to be a problem? Is the MB Diesel preferable?

3. 2010 Roadtrek Agile SS (MB Diesel)

I dig the external stealthy look of this. I also think it is the right size but my wife thinks it is smallish. No question here really.

4. 2012 Roadtrek 210 Popular (Chevy Gas)

Once again regarding the gas. More importantly, while browsing in used RV dealerships, I've seen some stains on the bottom of the Air Conditioner for this model that is situated on top of the bed. Is this a common problem for this kind of RV?

5. 2015 Winnebago Era or 2015 Winnebago Travato 59K

Both brand new. At the very ceiling of our budget. And I know that by buying brand new, you'll get hit by depreciation and I'll be the one enduring the shakedown.

Thank you for your time. I will still continue my research and learn more before I finally buy one.
ericksond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericksond View Post
1. 2012 Airstream Interstate 3500 Extended (MB Diesel)

I read so many build issues with AS Interstate and although we really like the interior and the features, I am quite scared to babysit the issues. Are these forum-reported issues true?
Totally true. We used to own a 2005 Interstate. Basic design and systems were great. Build quality was disgraceful. The problems are mostly fixable--leaky plumbing, sloppy caulk, unreliable wiring, improperly treated penetrations leading to local rust, etc. etc. There is no evidence that things have improved.

We loved our Interstate, and by the time we sold it it was in great shape. But it was a LOT of work to get it there.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:06 AM   #3

Thank you so much, avanti. I've read a lot of your posts about the AS and we are taking it at heart. Thank you for the warning.

It looks like we are now bias to the 2015 Winnebago Era 170x. It has all the features that I want and more importantly all the features that the Wife wants lol.

I don't know much about Winnebago's build quality.
ericksond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:29 AM   #4
Platinum Member

That is quite a diverse selection. I say forget the details. Buy the one that most appeals to you and what you think will meet your needs and criteria as anyone of those will be OK.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:37 AM   #5
Platinum Member

comment on the chevy gas- I have a 2006 pleasureway lexor Td on a 2005 chev 3500 chassis. 6.0 liter 3 sp w/ overdrive.

the drivetrain is great and perfectly matched to the weight of the coach.

recent trip of almost 7000 miles shows 15 mpg at speeds of about 70 mph avg w 87 octane fuel.
slightly better mpg with higher octane ( allows more advanced ignition timing) but not worth the cost differential.

3rd gear will hold speed to about 55 mph on 6% grades...keeps brakes cool for when you need them.
A diesel chassis may not benefit the same

on some models, the coach should not be parked with the rear higher than the front or the ac condensate may pool on the roof and leak into the coach...that is true with my coach, maybe the one you looked at as well.

make your prime consideration sleeping comfort- a rental unit showed us that a sideways sleeper may not be long enough- and a "climb-over" to use the can was no fun for either of us- also showed us that showering in the coach caused moisture through-out.

I have GM vehicles so the chev provides a comfort level with the layout of the mechanicals, lubrication points and engine controls-
a Ford would be a learning curve and I have had really, really poor mpg when using rented ford vans 15 pass with the v10...like below 10 mpg

ours is not a wide-body- my/our reasoning was based on parking at home and on the road, lane width in some areas, narrow dirt roads in the boonies.
My Spouse has successful solo trips out-of State. a larger B may not have allowed her a comfort level

we travel 1 or 2 of us +dog. we chose a model with 2 seats which swivel...a 3rd or 4th seat would have been a waste of space

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote