Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default No more TV AIRWAVES ??

Can someone tell us the situation we are in ? As of February 2009 , will ALL RV's need sattelite tv reception unless plugged in to a cable ? All those '' old '' wind up and twist TV antennas can no longer be used ?
lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I don't know what those "old wind-up and twist antennas" are but here is some reading that will answer your other question:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

(and welcome back from wherever you've been)
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks . The '' wind up '' antennas are the 'Wineguard' type . Thanks for the link. I think the real problem will be the reception . DTV requires excellent reception, where the old analog system worked as a radio type tuner, allowing '' fuzzy '' tv broadcasts to be watched , where the same broadcast at the same campsite CAN NOT be watched , because the DTV won't allow it ! The screen message shows the dreaded '' no signal '' message . What is the solution , besides subscribing to satellite tv ?
Old 09-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hmmmmm - I guess I'm not sure what it is you're asking.

Are you aware of the "converter box" (and the associated govt coupon program) ? The box will allow you to continue to use your OTA antenna to receive the new (mandated) digital broadcasts (some will allow analog "pass-thru" for those remote times when you're still receiving analog from non-digital stations).
Old 09-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Didn't know about the coupon. Can you give more info ? I'm in Canada. My point is : My brother's flat screen will not pick up the same broadcast that I can using the older ''tube'' type tv . His tv says '' no signal '' where I can watch a fuzzy but discernable show.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Platinum Member

OK, gotcha now.

In the US all (most - there are a few exceptions) TV over the air (OTA)broadcasting will change from analog to digital (Feb '09?).

In order for folks to get reception they're (we're) gonna need 1) a TV with a digital tuner 2) a converter box for older TVs 3) cable tv (which uses a converter box) or 4) satellite tv (which uses a converter box).

The US Govt realizes that a lot of folks can't just run out and buy a new TV (with the digital tuner) so they're trying to help by issuing up to 2 coupons per family to help pay for a "converter box". Each coupon is worth $40 towards the purchase of a "box" - which generally cost about $60 (so the end cost to us will be about $20).

The box takes the digital broadcast signal and converts it to analog (so the older TVs are able to present a watchable picture). Some boxes have a "digital pass thru" selector button (desireable) - that'll allow one to receive either a digital or an analog signal.

I believe Canada will be converting "sometime" after the US does (Aug 2011 ?) - so it shouldn't be a factor for you until that time (unless you want to receive US stations - in which case you'll need one of the options listed above).

Ref your Bro's "no signal" - I've got one of the converter boxes installed in my Van - it's got the analog "pass thru button". While parked in the same spot and while in the analog pass thru position I get most of the local channels (albiet with various degrees of fuzziness). If I choose the digital position sometimes I get a very clear picture (on any one of the 6 channels that I get) and sometimes I get the dreaded "no signal" alert.

I haven't had occasion to "move around" with my Van to test reception - but will do so in October, when we take a trip. So, I suspect it's wherever the TV happens to be located that dictates "signal" or "no signal".

Hope that helps.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
Platinum Member

From Industry Canada's website:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/oca-bc.ns ... 2319e.html

Quote:
CONSUMER NOTICE
After August 31, 2011, all analog televisions will require a converter box in order to receive Canadian over-the-air broadcasts using an antenna. At that time, all over-the-air broadcast signals in Canada will be in digital-only format. Canadians using satellite or digital cable services should see no change.

U.S. television stations broadcasting over-the-air into Canada will make this change sooner, in February, 2009.
This link:

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=924

has some info about converters some forum members have used.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Platinum Member

The Winegard antennas that are on many Class Bs should work fine with digital reception. I saw a digital TV installation and the digital reception already available was better than the analog using the Winegard antennas.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #9
Silver Member

I played with a Digital tuner this summer. I just had VHF bunny ears in the trailer, which were virtually useless. Switched over to a UHF antenna and picked up about 15 digital stations. They either come in crystal clear digital or break up and pixcelate, if reception is poor.

If you currently pick up some very strong stations, you will probably have no trouble picking them up digitally with even a few bonus stations thrown in. Such as here we have channel 17 analog, but digital we get 17-1 HD, 17-2 SD and 17-3 children.

You can also try an antenna amp.
paulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I've had some time to try the digital tuner and have seen the same results. The pics are either cable quality or they tend to pixellate and break up, but when they're good they're really good. The link Marko posted as an additional link, has my efforts at trying to resolve the "US going to digital soon" issues. So, if you want to watch digital TV signals in the US, you either buy a new TV with a digital tuner built in, or get a digital tuner and add it to your existing system between the antenna and your TV, like I did. The antenna doesn't care whether the signal is analog or digital, it feeds it through to your A/B switch in whatever format it sees. It's what your TV or tuners do with it at that point that matters. BTW, if you're Canadian, you don't qualify for the conversion assistance coupons. They're for US citizens only.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:21 AM   #11

Default Re: No more TV AIRWAVES ??

The new digital tuners are great! My "stock" antenna is 2 strips of sticky foil 3" wide that are located around my fiberglass topper (TV signals go right thru the fiberglass ) so an outside antenna is not needed, the same w/ my Sirius antenna. The digital tuners will work w/ any antenna. When camping near Cocoa,Fl we used to recieve around 6 channels most were so fuzzy you could not even watch them, now we get 27!!!!!!! crystal clear. Some of the tuners Insignia (Best Buy) and Zenith even have variable audio line outs so if want to go into an audio system you can have great audio just like a home theater system, the same with the video out for a clearer pix instead of the RF out. Most are 120v so I run mine off my inverter. They run around $45 but the coupon is for $40 you can get the coupon,(it looks like a credit card) at 1-888-DTV-2009 or www.DTV2009.gov
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Just got back from a lengthy trip thru the southern and western US and when we
weren't exhausted from driving, we'd fire up the digital tuner and watch a bit of tube in the evenings.
Depending on where you are, there's usually enough variety to find something worth browsing.
Although there wasn't anything at Grand or Bryce Canyons. Digital or analog. Even Deming NM had
about 10 OTA stations.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I had the chance to use my new Hauppage tuner on the Sony Laptap while traveling this past few weeks. Got 15 channels of digital TV in central Iowa on that Mickey Mouse inside antenna. Brave new world.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Sorry to stray off topic a bit

Vern - have you ever picked up Free-to-Air satellite TV with your dish? (using a DVB-S tuner)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernM
I had the chance to use my new Hauppage tuner on the Sony Laptap while traveling this past few weeks. Got 15 channels of digital TV in central Iowa on that Mickey Mouse inside antenna. Brave new world.
Hi Vern,
Do you also have a satellite system in addition to the Hauppauge add on for your laptop?
Which system do you use on the laptop? I visited the website for Hauppauge and there's quite
a selection of hardware/software, all of which looks like it might be for use on a pc.
I just have the factory Roadtrek built in antenna system, an old Panasonic 13" TV that probably
came with my Roadtrek from the factory, and an ATSC tuner to get the digital stuff OTA.
It all works nicely, but I'm always looking for new "toys". Could you take your laptop to the beach
with you, and watch an OTA ballgame, for example?
BTW, how'd you make out with the Ontario Parks reservations? Any luck?

Mike.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Not yet into FTA. Marrying the Dish satellite receiver to the Hauppage tuner (Model WinTV-HVR-950Q) comes first. And that is held up by my attempts to find a now-obsolete Dish tuner that was book sized with no bells or whistles compared to the big flat, feature-laden types they now seem to like exclusively. I'll post when I get it together.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I know this isn't directly involved with the question, but forwarded for what it's worth.
If someone needs a convertor box and don't have a coupon, I have one that I will sell for $10. + shipping. I bought it and then changed out the television in my RT. Ron
Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Again, not clearly on topic but, what sort of new TV did you get for your RT?
I'm again thinking of upgrading from the old 13" crt style Panasonic that probably
is factory issue in my '02 190P.
I looked into Jensen flat screens as they have dual power source 110VAC/12VDC
capability, but then I recently saw in an online Best Buy flyer an ultra-thin LED
TV, I think it was made by Samsung. I'd expect it would have a very low power draw.
Anyway, I'm curious what you replaced your old one with.

Thanks,
Mike.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Some danger, Mike, in looking for the thinnest. Thin means likely easier to break from vibration, etc. I have a 17 inch Toshiba that my daughter and grand-kids thought I needed for Christmas. It appears well made and has excellent picture off the Dish network. Digital ready for off-air too. And on sale, pretty well priced.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I might go with a Sharp 19" LCD flat screen LC19SB27U from Best Buy for C$279.
Just saw it the other day and it only draws 29W, so it works in our factory
inverterless '02, on a small portable 100W cigar lighter plug in inverter,
we use for just about everything that needs 110-120V AC. It only weighs
3.2 kg and has a decent picture. Just have to convince my wife and then
figure out how/where exactly to mount it. Probably on the rear facing side
of the entertainment unit.