Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2024, 04:36 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Nova 20C Li3 - Promaster with 2nd Alternator Issue

The following instances have occurred in our 2024 Nova 20C Li3 built on a 2023 Promaster 3500. It was delivered with about 1700 miles and currently has about 2700 miles.

With the lithium battery being fully charged at the onset, after being parked for about 20 minutes with the A/C running, I turned the A/C and Inverter off, started the engine and began driving on a residential street. The engine seemed to hesitate a couple times. At the end of the block I stopped
at a stop sign and then began my turn left. The van started to roll but hesitated and then didn't seem to want to move as the engine didn't seem to have any power. I was practically stalled in the middle of the intersection and had to press hard on the gas peddle before the engine finally responded and
I was able to continue.

A couple weeks later I had left the solar panel off (battery switch in Store position) for a few days with the RV parked in our driveway, which has a pretty good incline. The lithium battery had dropped from full (630A) to about 620A. I started the van and after a about a minute of idling,
I put it in Drive to move it forward a few feet while turning the wheels, and the van just started to roll backwards down the driveway. I applied brake, shifted back to Park, and then to Drive, released the brake and it started to roll backwards again. It felt like it wasn't shifting into gear. So I tried to
both Reverse and, manually shifting it into low gear but neither worked. I knew the 2nd alternator would be producing a high current to charge the lithium, so I started the Li3 Battery app. At this time the 2nd alternator was pumping about 125A into the lithium battery. I monitored the current
charge as it dropped and at various points shifted the van into Drive but it still rolled backwards. It wasn't until a minute or two later and the charge rate dropped to about 60A that the van would move forward when I shifted to Drive.

Starting out with my lithium battery full I've never had any issues with engine hesitation or shifting. So it appears that my symptoms are somehow related to the high charge rate of the 2nd alternator. But with the information I've been able to research I'm struggling to understand the correlation.

I've searched several forums and haven't found any posts with similar symptoms. Has anyone else experienced these issues?
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote