Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2024, 03:44 PM   #1

Default WHich RV Insurance Company?

Hi, we are about to buy a 2015 Roadtrek. What insurance are you using for your rv? We are in Ohio. Thanks in advance!!!
Akronharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We have our Class B insured with State Farm for a pretty reasonable rate along with all of our other home and auto insurance. In fact, we don't really seem to have a choice with having all of our insurance policies with the same company because we couldn't find anyone that would issue us an umbrella liability policy unless they also insured our home, auto and RV (all matched to the correct liability limits). In many ways, the umbrella policy is the most important insurance. I could live with the consequences of an RV accident but I couldn't live with a multimillion dollar liability claim.

Just out of curiosity, how can anyone use separate companies for their RV? Do people just not have umbrella policies and accept the risk?
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
We have our Class B insured with State Farm for a pretty reasonable rate along with all of our other home and auto insurance. In fact, we don't really seem to have a choice with having all of our insurance policies with the same company because we couldn't find anyone that would issue us an umbrella liability policy unless they also insured our home, auto and RV (all matched to the correct liability limits). In many ways, the umbrella policy is the most important insurance. I could live with the consequences of an RV accident but I couldn't live with a multimillion dollar liability claim.

Just out of curiosity, how can anyone use separate companies for their RV? Do people just not have umbrella policies and accept the risk?
Same for me. Have to have the umbrella. No way I would not have umbrella cover everything in today's litigious society. The few other companies I checked with could not do all of my needs at the time: house, auto, RV, boat, umbrella.
The boat is gone now so maybe I should check again for lower price. I am generally happy with State Farm and would not change unless savings was in the several hundred dollars range.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:24 PM   #4
Gold Member

Erie

https://www.erieinsurance.com/rv-insurance

Most important factor of insurance is whether the company is known to pay claims or tries to dodge them.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:25 AM   #5
Platinum Member

We had our cars, home, and umbrella with State Farm. When we bought our van they wouldn't do an agreed value policy, which we wanted because it was peak covid and prices were nuts. We ended up with Progressive. We maintained our umbrella with SF but they raised our rate a bit.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 03:50 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I live in Ohio, have a 2016 Roadtrek, and have all my vehicles insured with Erie.
Jim Agile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 04:05 PM   #7

Default AAA

We use AAA for umbrella, home, cars, and RV, 1999 21' Coachmen Class B. Not sure how much rates vary across the country, but we are in Socal where rates are typically higher and AAA rates have been as good as or better than any other. Have been member for over 40 years, but don't think that matters much.
dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 05:50 PM   #8
Gold Member

This year I sold my 2008 Roadtrek 210P and bought a new RV (2024 Coachmen Nova 20C Li3). I did use my existing carrier (Progressive via FMCA) for the new RV for a few months until the policy expired. Based on my research I shopped one place - RV America. Late one night I completed and submitted a quote request online and the next morning a quote was waiting for me in my email. Brown & Brown originally quoted me identical coverage with the same carrier (Progressive) for about $300 less per year than what I would've paid with my original policy. The agent informed me this was the best price he could find amongst several carriers.
I ended up making a few tweaks which saved about another $100, and the new policy is $1049/yr. Just FYI, the Roadtrek, which had full coverage with an actual cash value of $40K, cost $910/yr for insurance.
And I need to add the Brown & Brown agent was very responsive and knowledgeable! Their website is rvainsurance.com.
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 01:45 PM   #9
Bronze Member

The Hartford insurance company through AARP. Twenty years ago I switched when my oldest son got his driver's license saved a lot. I still have them got coverage for our 00D190P very happy with Hartford.
Monstermash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 05:41 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronharry View Post
Hi, we are about to buy a 2015 Roadtrek. What insurance are you using for your rv? We are in Ohio. Thanks in advance!!!
I have State Farm on my 1999 Roadtrek 190 Popular and had it on my 1998 Coach House prior. State Farm has been pretty good. My Coach House was totalled in an accident after I had had it for 5 years (it was 12 years old). State Farm went by the price of 3 similar Class B's sold around the same time to determine what to give me, instead of depreciating it like a van. I had paid $17,000 for it, and they gave me $15,600! They also covered the cost of replacing the roof air on the Coach House after a tree limb fell on it during an ice storm.

Pam
99D190P
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 02:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwatters60 View Post
This year I sold my 2008 Roadtrek 210P and bought a new RV (2024 Coachmen Nova 20C Li3). I did use my existing carrier (Progressive via FMCA) for the new RV for a few months until the policy expired. Based on my research I shopped one place - RV America. Late one night I completed and submitted a quote request online and the next morning a quote was waiting for me in my email. Brown & Brown originally quoted me identical coverage with the same carrier (Progressive) for about $300 less per year than what I would've paid with my original policy. The agent informed me this was the best price he could find amongst several carriers.
I ended up making a few tweaks which saved about another $100, and the new policy is $1049/yr. Just FYI, the Roadtrek, which had full coverage with an actual cash value of $40K, cost $910/yr for insurance.
And I need to add the Brown & Brown agent was very responsive and knowledgeable! Their website is rvainsurance.com.

Great tip - thank you. Same Progressive coverage as through my local agent but priced $600 less through B&B.
Davestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 03:54 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We pay $754 per year for full coverage to State Farm on our 2017 Sprinter Sportsmobile RV. As I recall the limit on the liability coverage on that and all of our other policies is $300,000. I then pay $530 per year for a personal liability umbrella policy that takes all of our coverage to $5,000,000. If I ever got sued for a liability claim, their attorney is definitely going to sue me for more than the piddly $300k limit on that RV policy. We then also have our home and other cars insured by State Farm.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:29 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
You can mix and match policies from different companies under an umbrella so long as the underlying insurance meets the minimum coverage limits required by the umbrella. The main problem is that you lose the multi-policy discount you get by having both the umbrella and underlying with the same carrier.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:41 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I believe that the best insurance is not just the cheapest but also the one that makes it easier to make a claim and receive a fair recovery. Insurance companies can lower their prices by trying to find ways to reduce the amounts they pay out in claims, and part of that process can be finding ways to pay out the least amount to you.

When i moved back to Alaska i needed to get new insurance, so i called the insurance commissioner's office for Alaska and asked them which carriers had the lowest complaint rates. At that time, Progressive and GEICO had the worst complaint rates and State Farm and Allstate the best. I had had State Farm before so i went with them. A couple of years ago, i decided to get a quote from GEICO because i am a Berkshire Hathaway shareholder (GEICO gives small discounts to BRK shareholders). It turns out that my longevity with State Farm means their price is cheaper than i could get from GEICO.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote