Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Opinion's wanted Virginia residents

I would like to hear from residents of the state of Virginia on an issue I am having with the Commissioner of Revenue in Mecklenburg County Virginia. I am not a resident of the state, but I am a property owner in the state, and as such I have had a boat registered in that state for the past 14 years. The boat was never kept there, it has always been kept in my home state, but I have taken it to Virginia periodically to fish with. The state of Virginia has a personal property tax they levy on boats, cars, RV's etc. I have paid this tax without question each year, and while I don't agree with the policy, I have thought for many years we were going to become residents of the state and just left the boat registered there. Recently the county informed me that they decided to change the way that they were valuing these vehicles, and as a result of this change my personal property taxes doubled on this boat. We are talking about an 18 year old bass boat here. I feel for them to double my tax on a boat that is getting older every year is absurd. My question is not whether or not they have the legal right to do this. I'm sure I would loose that battle, but my question is, if I refuse to pay this personal property tax bill, what can they really do about it? We do not live in the state, and I have now registered the boat back in my home state. I have been writing them letters hoping that if I explained my position, and let them know it was no longer registered in Virginia, common sense could prevail. I got a letter from the county today stating that I owe the tax regardless, and since I did not pay it by the December 5th deadline, I now have penalty and interest charges on top of it. What I am fighting here is a principal, and as I said before, I know is not their law. I would just like to know from folks that may live in Virginia what they will likely do next since I have decided not to pay this rip-off tax increase.
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote