Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Pulling the gray & black levers on a 2004 Roadtrek

I lost my husband in September of 2012. I have had a knee replacement and cannot put my weight on that knee very long (just a few minutes.)

Has anyone else driven a RT with a knee replacement and how did you get under it to pull out the levers to drain the gray and black water tanks?

A macerator won't help at all because I would still have to pull the levers.
ClassBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pulling the gray & black levers on a 2004 Roadtrek

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

It can be done.
I think a combination of the macerator and electric activated dump valves would be the easiest for you.
There are two electric waste valves shown here:
http://www.campingworld.com/category/sewer-valves/1363
and this one looks good: http://www.barkermfg.com/autodrain.html

If you are able to connect the dump hose then you could skip adding the macerator and just use the automatic or electric valves.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Thank you for writing - I will certainly look into these ideas. I miss Alan every day, but camping next spring might be a good thing for me. Jean
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

There is lots of help available on forums as you know. Just ask any questions that come up. I had a 2004 Roadtrek 190P and still remember quite a lot about it.

Joining a group might make getting started just a bit easier. SoloTrekkers might be a good fit. http://www.roadtrekchapter.org/solos.htm

Quote:
From Nikki Seeler and Christine Pettit

The Roadtrek SoloTrekkers is an email group of women and men who usually, not always, travel alone in their Roadtreks.
Most of us are members of F.M.C.A. and their Roadtrek International Chapter. Though these memberships are not a
requisite for being on the SoloTrekkers list, Solos recommend the memberships because of the many benefits you will receive.

NOT ALL SOLOS ARE SINGLE

Some have a spouse who usually does not travel with them. What is required to be a SoloTrekker is a Roadtrek and a
computer for communication!

The SoloTrekkers' only goals are fellowship and sharing information about traveling in our Roadtreks. We visit each other,
get together at Roadtrek and FMCA rallies, and occasionally have a Solos' camp-out, often called a "Rendezvous." Communication, among ourselves, is on a free web message board, and we maintain a state list of SoloTrekkers.
In seven years we have grown to 154 Solos from all over the U. S. and Canada.

Join us!Join us!Join us!Join us!

We're not like a "regular" club: we have no dues, officers or bylaws.
We're sort of an "affinity group" of the Roadtrek International Chapter.

For information, contact Diane de'Castillia, discoveryvan@att.net or Christine Pettit, cpettitone@roadrunner.com
Diane de'Castillia is active on the Yahoo Roadtrek Group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/roadtrek

There's also RVing Women http://www.rvingwomen.org/ which might be a great resource.

I read through the responses you got on RV.net and it shows that a lot of people are routing for you. In turn, you'll inspire others who face similar difficulties to give it a try.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thank you again for writing me. I feel like I might be able to overcome this problem, but I do remember how much trouble we always had when dumping the tanks. It was never easy even when Alan was doing it. I wish I could find some dealers who would do this job for me, but they don't seem to be very available.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Start making phones calls to RV dealers nearby. A Roadtrek dealer that also sells electric dump valves would be ideal.
That is step #1 - find out if it can actually be done - is there enough space for the electric valves under a Roadtrek?