Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Ron
Platinum Member

Default Re: Secured Wooden Box for a Honda EU2000i

In talking with a friend of mine who also owns a Class B Van/Camper he has a Honda EU2000i, I also have one, he like myself we do not have a generator on our Campers.

He mentioned about making a secured wooden generator box with a grill on one end of the box, this being for the muffler, the generator box would be attached to a rear hitch carry all, and he could operate the generator while the vehicle is in motion.

I mentioned that if it were me I would make a secured steel generator box that I believe it would be safer if the generator is going to be running while traveling, fact is that is my intention, is to have a secured steel generator box made.

I just feel that it is unsafe to run the Honda EU2000i in a wooden box, even though there would be a large grill at the end of the box for the muffler of the generator.

Just wondering what others think, or if they have heard of anyone making a wooden box to contain a Honda EU2000i , and operating the Honda EU2000i in a wooden box while the vehicle is in motion or if the vehicle is parked.

I would worry about a fire happening because of heat generating from the muffler even though there would be a large grill on one end of the box for the muffler of the generator.

Ron
FMCA:303873 ~K1RRC~ RRRCRT@aol.com
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Like you, I'd be a little bit concerned about using wood.

Gas & oil spills could soak in........ With adequate heat shielding the fire risk from the exhaust could be minimized.

I used aluminum when I built my generator box. There's a franchise named Metal Supermarkets that has a location near me. I ordered the aluminum cut to the sizes I wanted. I never did run my generator in the box but had planned to.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:02 AM   #3
Bronze Member

The first "C" we bought came without a generator (or roof AC) and also was not set up for one. Instead of a generator hanging on a metal frame with insulation and sheet metal around it, there was a nice big sealed wooden compartment for outside storage.
A Kohler 4.0 fit perfect in the compartment, so instead of doing like the factory genset install I left the box.
I lined the box with several layers of asbestos paper and then cut and folded a piece of sheet aluminum to make a 5 sided box to line the compartment with. Screwed it to the walls and sealed the joints with hi temp silicone. Made a template and cut the hole thru the bottom for exhaust and air and added some vents to the door.
It was quieter outside than factory (my parents had one) and we could hardly hear it inside. Wood is a great insulator. I think it also helped to deaden the vibration.
I know those Hondas are pretty quiet already, but how about if you put it in a metal lined wooden box ? And paint it with a fire retardent paint.
" I hear a cat purring"
FLSTFI is offline   Reply With Quote