Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Rear-view Camera System

Hi! I am looking into cameras for the back end of my Sprinter. Do the $99.00 varieties (wireless) work or do you need to wire it up?? I'm new here so tell me what does DM stand for? I have a few ideas but would like to know. My wife will be working next year when I retire so we are planning on doing some vacationing together then having her fly back to NY while I drive back at my leisure. Sounds good to me but we will see if it works for my "delightful wife". Bruce ps Merry Christmas (we're up and waiting for our 3 kids, who are home for Chritmas break, to wake up).
Old 12-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Merry Christmas Bruce. DH, Darling or Dear husband. DM, Darling or Dear Mother. DW, Darling or Dear Wife..........

I've read that you should make sure the rear view backup camera has a left/right reverse mirror image feature which duplicates the normal view seen in a rear view mirror.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I think Jardinier's camera looks like this:

Wireless transmission - Camera mounts at the rear of the vehicle, connects to the vehicle's tail lights and transmits images to the viewing screen mounted on the dashboard or visor.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Hi Guys,

The camera marcopolo shows is the one I have you can get it at Wal-Mart. Here's the link:http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4744711

The system is not totally wireless. The image is sent from the camera to the screen through a wireless system. But both components (screen and camera) must be connected to an electrical source where they draw their power: the screen to the vehicle's fusebox and the camera to one of the back-up lights. If you place the camera on the licence plate as suggested, you have a good view but can't evaluate the distances from the vehicle and surrounding objects. I placed mine on the external grid of our Roadtrek's AC unit. Sorry I can't show you how it was done. I didn't take pictures at the time.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Bronze Member

The license plate on the rear of the sprinter screwa into a plastic sleeve in a small hole. Is there a more secure way of attaching license and maybe the camera?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Do you have to turn on the tail light switch in order to power up the camera? Do you use it only when backing up?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:06 AM   #7
Bronze Member

The camera engages and sends the image to the screen when you shift in reverse. It turns off when you change gear.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:59 AM   #8

Jardiner,

I want to mount one of those on my 200 Versatile. Does mounted up on the external a/c grid give a much better image for backing? Can you reveal your mounting technique? THANX
wilburleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Hi wilburleft,

Just got your message from a free wifi hotspot at Starbucks in Myrtle Beach. As far as I'm, concerned, it's basically a question of preferences as to placing it on the licence or on the grid.

Placing the camera on the A/C grid gives you an angle view compared to a frontal view when placed on the licence plate frame. By doing so it offers a better estimate of distances. You have to use additional bushings to obtain the appropriate angle. I still have some minor adjustments to do in order to .

We opened the roof cover of the A/C, drilled a hole on the left side and "fished" the wire through the rear speaker then through the rear lights and connected it to the back-up light. The holes as well as the roof cover were sealed to prevent water infiltration.

Now regarding the quality of the image, I'm satisfied. Since this is a wireless system, you can expect parasites from surrounding signals so when not in use, I disconnect the screen.

Hope this info helps you.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #10

Thanks Jardinier. It sounds pretty simple. But drilling holes makes it a little scary.

It seems to me also that the downward angle would give you a better view for judging the space you've got. It seems like it would limit the distance you can see behind you. But the main purpose of the cam seems to be for maneuvering slowly and in tight spaces, so you don't need that much sight distance.

Maybe I'll try it on the license plate first and see how it is before I start drilling.
wilburleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburleft
.............. But drilling holes makes it a little scary.....
The first hole is the hard one Then they're easy!