Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek 190 Popular 2002 fridge

The freezer gets really cold but the cabinet for regular food stays warm. The unit is a Dometic 2333 under cabinet model. I cleaned grass and nuts out of lower vent. The outside wall between lower & upper vents gets hot and even the inside counter top gets warm near the wall above the fridge. I am no mechanic but maybe can be armed with some information from you before I take it in for repair. Thanks.
Claudette
claudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek 190 Popular 2002 fridge

Happen suddenly, or got worse over time? Were you parked on the level?
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Venting is very important. Could the top vent be blocked?

Here's some info from Dometic:

Quote:
Refrigerator Does Not Cool Properly
A. Burner jet clogged. Clean. (See section Maintenance & Service, Item 3. Periodic Maintenance, Paragraph D. Item 1-14).
B. Check level of refrigerator.
C. Venting problem.
D. Heavy frost buildup on evaporator fins. Defrost
E. Flue baffle not inserted properly in flue tube.
F. Improperly set thermostat. (See Operating Instructions, part Thermostat).
G. Burner dirty. Clean. (See section Maintenance & Service, Item 3. Periodic Maintenance, Paragraph D. Item 1-14).
H. LP gas pressure low at burner. Set main regulator so pressure does not drop below 11 inches of water column at pressure tap.
I. Burner not located properly under flue tube. Relocate
J. Burner damaged. Replace.
and some info from Roadtrek:

Quote:
Tips & Tricks
From Roadtrek®TM Owners

Tip #1 - Refrigerator Use & Maintenance

As the refrigerator is the most used and relied upon appliance in the motorhome, regular service & maintenance is very important.

The refrigerator operates by heat applied to the boiler system and it is of paramount importance that this heat be kept within the necessary limits and be properly applied. Keeping the unit properly cleaned and tuned will ensure that the heat exchange is kept within the required limits. This heat exchange applies to all three operating modes.Although regular service & maintenance will vary depending upon usage, yearly service is recommended by the manufacturer. This service & maintenance should be performed by a certified Dometic Manual Refrigeration Technician.

Here are some suggestions to keep your refrigerator up and running between scheduled service.
Be sure to check the burner flame for proper appearance. The flame should be light blue. If it has a yellow tip, this means it is burning incorrectly and should be serviced. Check to be sure there is no spider web, insect nest, soot or rust on or around the burner. If there is, knock it off with a small screwdriver and clean the area with compressed air or by blowing through a soda straw.

For proper ventilation, keep the area behind your refrigerator clear. Check the upper and lower vents and the area between vent openings for any obstructions such as a bee or birds nest.

Check all connections in the LP gas system (at the back of your refrigerator) for gas leaks by applying a non corrosive commercial leak detector solution at all connections.
A properly serviced and maintained refrigerator should provide years of trouble free service. To receive a brochure on maintaining the Dometic RM2310 manual refrigerator, call the Communication Center of Dometic Corporation at 219-294-2511.
You can download Dometic manuals here:
http://www.dometicmanuals.com

I couldn't find one for model RM2333. I did find one for RM2353 which might be similar.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny R
Happen suddenly, or got worse over time? Were you parked on the level?
Yes, level, in my driveway. Always worked there. On AC. I haven't traveled in a year, so it had sat a while there. I was getting all the systems working to sell it. Had to have the generator serviced. When I tried the fridge, the cabinet was warm. So, I had not had that happen before, but the last time I used it was more than a year ago. Any ideas?

Thanks, Claudette
Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Venting is very important. Could the top vent be blocked?

Here's some info from Dometic:

Quote:
Refrigerator Does Not Cool Properly
A. Burner jet clogged. Clean. (See section Maintenance & Service, Item 3. Periodic Maintenance, Paragraph D. Item 1-14).
B. Check level of refrigerator.
C. Venting problem.
D. Heavy frost buildup on evaporator fins. Defrost
E. Flue baffle not inserted properly in flue tube.
F. Improperly set thermostat. (See Operating Instructions, part Thermostat).
G. Burner dirty. Clean. (See section Maintenance & Service, Item 3. Periodic Maintenance, Paragraph D. Item 1-14).
H. LP gas pressure low at burner. Set main regulator so pressure does not drop below 11 inches of water column at pressure tap.
I. Burner not located properly under flue tube. Relocate
J. Burner damaged. Replace.
and some info from Roadtrek:

[quote:3vdpw7fk]Tips & Tricks
From Roadtrek®TM Owners

Tip #1 - Refrigerator Use & Maintenance

As the refrigerator is the most used and relied upon appliance in the motorhome, regular service & maintenance is very important.

The refrigerator operates by heat applied to the boiler system and it is of paramount importance that this heat be kept within the necessary limits and be properly applied. Keeping the unit properly cleaned and tuned will ensure that the heat exchange is kept within the required limits. This heat exchange applies to all three operating modes.Although regular service & maintenance will vary depending upon usage, yearly service is recommended by the manufacturer. This service & maintenance should be performed by a certified Dometic Manual Refrigeration Technician.

Here are some suggestions to keep your refrigerator up and running between scheduled service.
Be sure to check the burner flame for proper appearance. The flame should be light blue. If it has a yellow tip, this means it is burning incorrectly and should be serviced. Check to be sure there is no spider web, insect nest, soot or rust on or around the burner. If there is, knock it off with a small screwdriver and clean the area with compressed air or by blowing through a soda straw.

For proper ventilation, keep the area behind your refrigerator clear. Check the upper and lower vents and the area between vent openings for any obstructions such as a bee or birds nest.

Check all connections in the LP gas system (at the back of your refrigerator) for gas leaks by applying a non corrosive commercial leak detector solution at all connections.
A properly serviced and maintained refrigerator should provide years of trouble free service. To receive a brochure on maintaining the Dometic RM2310 manual refrigerator, call the Communication Center of Dometic Corporation at 219-294-2511.
You can download Dometic manuals here:
http://www.dometicmanuals.com

I couldn't find one for model RM2333. I did find one for RM2353 which might be similar.[/quote:3vdpw7fk]

To Markopolo: I am learning to use this site and may not be sending this message in the right way.
the vent is on the side above the fridge but is large with lack louvres. I don't see how it comes off.
Claudette
Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Re: the top vent - I don't know how to take it off. It may be preferable to remove the fridge to access that area. If so, I'd get a pro to do it.

However that might not be necessary. On AC have you let it run for 24 hours to see if the fridge cools? These fridges are not that efficient on AC. They are worse on DC and are best on propane. If you have only run it for an hour or two to test it then run it longer. Warm air should be detectable coming out of the top vent. It will be a natural flow. It is not forced out by a fan. If the side of the van is getting overly hot and you can't detect the flow of warm or hot air out of the top vent then it could be blocked up and you'd be best to stop the testing and take it in for repair.

Your freezer works so I can't think why the fridge won't cool given enough time.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Platinum Member

claudette - Mike sent me this manual for your fridge PDF file attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RM2332_RM2333.pdf (342.7 KB, 780 views)
Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I have to be honest. I needed a copy too, as I have the same model year and fridge.

Mike.