Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #21

Default Re: Roadtrek 190 Versatile vs Popular, 2002

Thanks Mike. That's one question I have is how much should I be asking for it? I see some 02' and 03' models selling for $30K + with 20K to 50K miles. The one that I have is in premium shape inside and out and looks like it has all the options on it. My dad also added an electric septic pump. Its on a Chevy chassis. Comes with all the manuals and service receipts. Any ideas?
RoadtrekOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadtrekOwner
Thanks Mike. That's one question I have is how much should I be asking for it? I see some 02' and 03' models selling for $30K + with 20K to 50K miles. The one that I have is in premium shape inside and out and looks like it has all the options on it. My dad also added an electric septic pump. Its on a Chevy chassis. Comes with all the manuals and service receipts. Any ideas?
I would inventory it thoroughly, and make sure everything is in good working order. Things a buyer might ask -
- Does it have a generator? A valuable option on any RV. Make sure it works.
- How old are the tires? Check the DOT dates and make sure they're not "past their due date", as that could be dangerous, and could cost around $1,000 to replace them.
- When was it last used? With only 4300 miles on it, that could be one trip to Florida and back, plus some other side trips. A lot of sitting under a tarp in a barn can mean a lot of atrophied seals and other issues relating to oxidation and humidity, for example. Also it's interesting that he added a powered "dump pump" to it, for a unit seeing so little use, but that would be a plus for many buyers.
- Have it certified mechanically fit by a GM dealer, if possible. Save yourself and a potential buyer the hassle of selling it "as is" mechanically.

There are lots of other factors that will determine what to ask for it, but realistically, it's only worth what you can get someone else to pay for it. If it really is in pristine condition, it should draw top dollar. I have no idea what that number might be, but you've seen what similar models with higher use on them are asking. You might compare identically equipped units for sale on the internet, with higher mileage, and then try to price yours accordingly based on the difference. I think they sold brand new for around $55,000, but I can't recall where I saw that number. Probably RV Trader, as they often have the original pricing information on most RVs.
Sorry, but without seeing it, I couldn't hazard a guess. Post up some pics?

If it were mine to sell, I might place an ad online, with as much specific information as possible, but stressing the original mileage and the pristine condition of the unit, for "best offer" and then see what happens. You could conceivably have multiple offers, and a bidding war. You could handle it like a silent auction, where buyers would offer their best price, and you could leave the auction open for a specific period of time, and clearly state that only the successful bidder will be contacted.
I might try something like that, because it's an unusual item for sale. If I were in no hurry to sell it, and wanted to get a number I liked.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadtrekOwner
I would inventory it thoroughly, and make sure everything is in good working order. Things a buyer might ask -
- Does it have a generator? A valuable option on any RV. Make sure it works.
- How old are the tires? Check the DOT dates and make sure they're not "past their due date", as that could be dangerous, and could cost around $1,000 to replace them.
- When was it last used? With only 4300 miles on it, that could be one trip to Florida and back, plus some other side trips. A lot of sitting under a tarp in a barn can mean a lot of atrophied seals and other issues relating to oxidation and humidity, for example. Also it's interesting that he added a powered "dump pump" to it, for a unit seeing so little use, but that would be a plus for many buyers.
- Have it certified mechanically fit by a GM dealer, if possible. Save yourself and a potential buyer the hassle of selling it "as is" mechanically.
Thanks for the detailed reply! Yes it has a Generator. Tires need to be replaced. My dad started and drove the motorhome around town regularly. He bought it after my mom died and it was his hobby to tinker and maintain it. He is a retired engineer and analyst for the FBI. The motorhome was like his bug out vehicle and was maintained and stocked and ready to go. That's why he purchased and had a powered "dump pump" installed. There is one gentleman I have contacted that is interested. Otherwise I will follow your advice and replace the tires, get it checked out and cleared by a mechanic and advertise it. I will try to add some photos here. Thanks again Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img00202.jpg (75.8 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img00072-20100817-0955.jpg (76.4 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img00069-20100817-0955.jpg (133.1 KB, 419 views)
Old 10-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #24
Platinum Member

I see it's got mag wheels, and the full ground effects kit, too.
Nice unit. Looks well kept, showroom clean.
You might want to "go big" and see what happens?
Good luck.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #25

More photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0089 inside.jpg (74.3 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_rsz_img_0090 front.jpg (33.0 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0091 mileage.jpg (85.3 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0098 manual.jpg (56.3 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0111 book.jpg (71.4 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0113 book 1.jpg (66.6 KB, 395 views)
Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #26

The original owner of the Roadtrek was Don Herbert, Mr. Wizard from the nickelodeon Television show.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg don hubert pink.JPG (87.6 KB, 391 views)
Old 10-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #27
Platinum Member

It all looks familiar, same layout, different colors and added features than mine.
That Don Herbert (RIP) original ownership is a nice touch to anyone who likes that sort of nostalgia. I watched his show more than once back in the day.
If it's in showroom condition, loaded, and fully functional, it might fetch close to $40K.
You can't buy a brand new one for less than $80K, and yours looks brand new.
Just my opinion.