Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek A/C not Cooling

Hello all,

For those familiar with Roadtrek A/C units (and probably class B units in general), mine had a 5300 BTU unit in it above the bed. In very hot weather, above 90 degrees outside, it simply would try and cool a bit and then blow warm air. So...... I just replaced it with a 8000 BTU unit. Now, same problem.

It is very hot where I live. The days have been 100-105 degrees. The A/C unit will come on and try to cool only for a short while, and then it just blows hot air. Is it simply overworked and icing up?

Is it a design flaw in the way Roadtrek has them mounted?

I really thought that going to an 8000 BTU unit would solve my problem.

Has anybody else wrestled with this and found a solution? Is it common in this type of heat?

Thanks, Jeff
a1parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

1996 RT 190 Versatile right?

I'm guessing you set the thermostat low enough to keep the compressor running.Hopefully someone with a similar model will be able to help out.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:35 AM   #3
Platinum Member

A problem with the Roadtrek AC is that the integral design can cause the hot air exhaust from the condenser to get sucked back into the ambient air intake. Do a search for Roadtrek AC cooling fins. I put some on my RT and it has helped. It does take a long time to cool the interior down when it is hot. I also have made Reflectix window inserts for the side, back, and the 3 upper mini windows to block solar heat from entering, which helps a lot.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #4

from what I know a properly running AC should have a 20F temperature difference between intake and output air temperature -
Groovy2 is offline   Reply With Quote