Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Stereo- Phase Linear UV8020 by Jensen

I have the Phase Linear UV 8020 by Jensen, that came with my Roadtrek 190V. The screen is a nice 7" LCD touch screen, and it has an input that should work for a rear-view camera. This seems like a high end piece of equipment that works very well. I like the way it works; but I do wish there was a volume knob, instead of a pair of buttons to push, and some other color of screen.

I can live with volume control buttons. My real problem is with ---- The BLUE screen. I am not an 18 year old kid, and I don't need a flashy color like blue, lighting up my dash.

Here is the problem with BLUE:
Blue is the color of "glare". Glare is not light reflecting off a shiny surface, that is "reflection". Glare is the blue spectrum of light that makes your eyes hurt. The bright blue-tinted head lights on some cars today, produce this color. And everyone complains about how much those lights bother their eyes. That is because that blue tinted light makes your eyes hurt and pupils close up.

To have a 7" screen on my dash, producing a blue light (especially at night), is not easy to live with. It causes squinting, it causes the pupils to close down, making night vision poor, it is distracting, .........!

I know it can be dimmed. Same problem, just dim.

Being the nice peice of equipment it is, there must be a way to change this screen color to orange or green or red. I could not find it in the manual, but manuals leave out a lot of info.

Does anyone know how to solve this blue screen problem, without replacing the head unit?
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Stereo- Phase Linear UV8020 by Jensen

Try sending a PM to forum member JENSENRVdirect
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

PM? I can do that. I thought posting in this section was the way to get his eyes on it.

Update and some limited success.

There is a spot in the lower-left of the touchscreen, that is titled "SEL". Touching this will bring up a series of digital slider controls. The two that will control screen color are "CON" & "COL". This stands for Contrast and Color.

Reducing the COL (color) adjustment will take it all the way to black & white. It will no longer be blue (good), but you can not choose a more functional color either. Oh well, at least it is not blue.

Then reducing CON (contrast), will flatten the brightness across the screen.

Using a combination of these two adjustments can give a very muted blue that is not disrturbing to the eye, when driving (day or night).

I will post some picture in this thread, as soon as I can.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #4

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

The UV8020 by Phase Linear, is actually made by Audiovox Corporation and is not one of our products. However, I have visited their website and read the owners manual for this item and it does not appear you can change the color of the OSD (On Screen Display). You have already found the user-adjustable COLOR & CONTRAST settings, which are the only options available according to the owners manual.

You can visit their website at http://www2.audiovox.com/corporate/welcome.do.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

JENSEN and Voyager Tech Support Team
JENSENRVdirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440