Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #81
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k

Thanks. .luv it so far
Old 06-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #82
Gold Member

Tires..how much air you using
Old 06-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #83
Platinum Member

composting toilets sound good, until you look in to them more and discover the things their "happy" owners never talk about. Sitting down to pee would be one. How absolutely disgusting they get on the underside after awhile would be another. But they are "clean" right? lol. The underside of the part you lift up to dump gets really nasty. Youd have to be cleaning that regularly. But then it becomes a dirty job. Factor in having to tote around the material. Ugh, no thanks for me. Id rather dump a tank.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:04 AM   #84
Site Team

Everyone needs a hobby.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #85
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I consider that total BS and put it in the same category with the people that all say they dispose of their cigarette filters responsibly and pick up after their dogs, yet every office building and bar looks like a litter ash pit outside the doors and you still have to walk gingerly in the parks. Grey water is not just clean water with biodegradable soap. It is just water that doesn't go into a toilet and can have many things including non-biogradable soap, cooking oils, food, your left over soup, hair, and bodily fluids. Also one comment here has already added urine to the grey water. Private and government entity campgrounds know this and that is why it is universally unacceptable and often stated.

Do you know the difference between a city or town drain? If it is open and accessible it is most likely a storm drain that sends untreated water into our streams. If it has a heavy manhole that you cannot drain to it might be a sanitary sewer that will go through treatment.
Davydd, just to clear the air as far as composting toilets, one should always wait and empty the urine container at a Dump Station or down a regular toilet, which is far more convenient. This is the reason we always carried a second container.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #86
Platinum Member

If you dump at regular toilet then why not just get a portapotti? You can dump those in any toilet and only need a bottle of chemicals. Unless of course you've got starving roses at home.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #87
Gold Member

Default travato front speakers

Is it possible for the Jeson sound system to sent music or DVD sound to the front speakers? ?
Wayne in Mass 59k
Old 06-20-2015, 12:51 AM   #88
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
If you dump at regular toilet then why not just get a portapotti? You can dump those in any toilet and only need a bottle of chemicals. Unless of course you've got starving roses at home.
Stan, we had our composting toilet on a sailboat. Not found of chemicals if I can avoid them. Just an old habit I guess, using a regular toilet to get rid of liquids. For me, it wasn't about being a "Fanboy" of composting toilets, it was the practicality of getting rid of a holding tank in the V-berth. In a 59K, it's about freeing up the black tank to double the grey water capacity.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:18 AM   #89
Platinum Member

Is there room in a 59k bath for a composting toilet ? That reminds me.You guys should see this video of a kid with a lovely Explorer van where he took out the marine toilet and installed a composting toilet in the living room. That's right. The living room.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:01 AM   #90
Platinum Member

Quote:
Is there room in a 59k bath for a composting toilet ? That reminds me.You guys should see this video of a kid with a lovely Explorer van where he took out the marine toilet and installed a composting toilet in the living room. That's right. The living room.
Well, how else do you expect to be able to see the TV?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:00 AM   #91
Bronze Member

Quote:
According to the measurements we took, one should fit. I actually saw that video of the kid last night. Damn good information he gave about actual usage. I've seen so much misinformation given by people who have never used one. Below is his video. He gets to the information at about 25:45 in. Stan, I think he brought it out into the living area in order to better video it. The ventilation hose for the toilet is in the bathroom where he normally keeps it.
http://youtu.be/VfHd9wc_Q4A
Old 06-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #92
Platinum Member

I think the composting toilet is more of a subjective thing, Ford or Chevy.

If I had a vehicle that I would be out in a rural area for months on end, where I was getting fresh water from a stream and filtering/boiling it, gray water was disposed of somewhere reasonable, and there was a mechanism in place to have a shower, then a composting toilet makes perfect sense. As per "The Humanure Handbook", compost isn't safe to use on plants until the microbes chew on it for 1-2 years, so having four compost bins (one empty/ready for overfill, one filling up, one on its first year of "fermenting", and one on its second year) is a wise thing.

The interesting thing is that composting toilets are permitted under Texas law. Privies (outhouses) are still allowed as well, provided they are away from groundwater (75+ feet.) This varies from state to state.

However, even though I would consider one for a permanent cabin, for a RV, it wouldn't be my first choice... but to each his own in this department.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:17 AM   #93
Platinum Member

Default My New Rig

My new Travato 59g impressions.

I just bought a new 2015 Travato and drove it 1000 miles home. Here are my first impressions after only 3 days and 2 nights. I'm coming from a 24' Fleetwood Jamboree on an Ford E350 with a V10.

1 The Fleetwood was a white knuckle driving experience at any speed above 65mph, I didn't like driving it, my wife flat out wouldn't. Now, I think she's logged more miles on the Travato than I have. It is very easy to drive and park.

2 The mirrors are excellent and that's good because you're not seeing anything out the back through the rear view mirror.

3 The Tom-Tom navigation GPS is only good for a laugh. The maps are old, it only looks forward 50 miles for things like rest stops or gas and it's not as intuitive as a Garmin.

4 The refrigerator cools very well in all 3 modes but will not stay lit while travelling. I had to use 12v while on the road, which is no big deal until you arrive at camp and forget to switch over to propane. I'll see if I can construct a small sheet metal baffle to keep the wind from blowing out the flame at speed.

5 I've hit myself on the back of the head twice with the bike racks closing the rear door. I don't think that will ever grow old.

6 The fold down bed was very adequate for my wife and I. I'm 5'6 and she's 5'0. The both of us combined weigh 230lbs just for scale. We had plenty of room and slept comfortably.

7 The window shades are very fiddly, especially the ones for the cab. I'm replacing them with an exterior version that covers all three front windows like I had with my Class C. I'll just have to live with the ones in back.

8 The switch for the water heater lights green when you turn the switch on, not necessarily when you turn the water heater on.

9 Realistically, there is not enough room to bring all the pieces you need to convert the dinette into a bed, if that's what you want to do.

10 The furnace and A/C are very adequate.

11 A little more automation on the entry step would be nice.

12 There's a tiny rotary valve like thing up front next to the boost switch. I have no idea what it is or does except, that it emits an annoying buzz/squeal when you're plugged into shore power and you quiet it by rotating it until it is closed. I think it belongs to Winnebago and not Dodge, but I can't find any docs either way.

13 The controls for the refrigerator are on the inside, that is, you need to open the door to change settings or to check to see if the flame is lit. Kind of dumb.

That's all I can think of for now. Overall, I'm thrilled and the small annoyances are overcome by the fact that my wife will now share the driving on longer trips.

Maybe because it's red, it's quite the conversation starter when gassing up.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:41 AM   #94
Platinum Member

Thanks for getting us off the compost heap with your report. I have to admit the red is growing on me.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:18 AM   #95
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Thanks for getting us off the compost heap with your report. I have to admit the red is growing on me.
No s**t !

The red definitely is BRIGHT. Can't wait to see the Fit RV's yellow one in pics, not to mention their hybrid G,K best guess, coach

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:29 AM   #96
rtz
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
12 There's a tiny rotary valve like thing up front next to the boost switch. I have no idea what it is or does except, that it emits an annoying buzz/squeal when you're plugged into shore power and you quiet it by rotating it until it is closed. I think it belongs to Winnebago and not Dodge, but I can't find any docs either way.
Do you have a picture of it?
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:08 AM   #97
Platinum Member

I like the red, but I'm partial to the silver as I want to do stealth boondocking. As pretty as the red is, you might as well as put neon lights up
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:17 AM   #98
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
I like the red, but I'm partial to the silver as I want to do stealth boondocking. As pretty as the red is, you might as well as put neon lights up
There are more visible service panels, outlets, connections, etc. on the exterior of the Travato than any RV I've ever seen. Winnebago makes it quite challenging to be "stealth" in the Travato.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #99
Gold Member

Great pic and report..I'd like to know what that rotary thing is too...right next to emergency start switch on bottom left of dash...they changed some things on the 2016..
1. Fridge is all 12 volt..does great job
2. Truma system does all..heat and hot water
3. Wife made bag for window blinds up front. .I keep it behind driver's seat
4. Great back road vehicle..drives easy
got 2200 miles so far..
Wayne in Mass 59k
Old 06-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #100
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post

Picture on page 3-5 of manual does not show anything next to switch, but Chassis Wiring Installation drawing (from Winnebago Resources site indicates an "Alarm-Swivel Seat" next to switch. That may explain the "buzz/squeal" Also enlarged diagram BA on that same drawing sheet, shows round cutout there but then says "Not used with chassis supplied ignition interlocking swivel seat". Seems to be Winnebago mod.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote