Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2024, 03:25 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Affordble starting point for DIY

I have never seen a box truck quite like this before.

Small with what appears to be substantially well built box with decent side entry and rear barn doors.

Normally the box truck and airport type passenger vans have really flimsy boxes on them so not all that desirable for a camper.

There are two of these available on local Craigslist, one with a Tommy Lift and one without. Both diesel and low miles.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/d/minneapolis-chevy-diesel-cargo-55k-miles/7742674173.html
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

What a fun platform to build on! You could paint it like an ambulance for extreme stealth, lol.

The wide-angle lens sure makes it look roomy inside, haha! From the pics, it feels like you could fit a couple couches, a full bar, DJ booth and a stripper pole.

I bought my 1999 Camper for $11k and spent another $7k in renovations. I love my camper and after all is said and done, I feel like mine was money well spent. Even though this one probably doesn't quite have the room for all the amenities, it sure looks like it'd be fun to build and I do wish I had a diesel.
The Eyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eyesore View Post
What a fun platform to build on! You could paint it like an ambulance for extreme stealth, lol.

The wide-angle lens sure makes it look roomy inside, haha! From the pics, it feels like you could fit a couple couches, a full bar, DJ booth and a stripper pole.

I bought my 1999 Camper for $11k and spent another $7k in renovations. I love my camper and after all is said and done, I feel like mine was money well spent. Even though this one probably doesn't quite have the room for all the amenities, it sure looks like it'd be fun to build and I do wish I had a diesel.

I would guess it is the range of 7' wide and 10' long and near 7' high, but hard to tell for sure. That would make it similar to area behind the seats in the low/mid sized class b's. Being so rectangular would certainly make the construction easier.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Yeah, the squareness is very appealing.
The GVWR is certainly a bonus too!
From the VIN: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating FromClass 2H: 9,001 - 10,000 lb (4,082 - 4,536 kg)
The Eyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:41 PM   #5
Platinum Member

That would make it a max single wheel van similar to the 3500s that came later. It has 8 bolt single rear wheel rims and the rear axle is a full floating unit. Probably a "corporate" GM 10.5" with the bolted on pinion carrier, which is very nice axle. IIRC they were made by American Axle for GM.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:43 PM   #6

That's about as aerodynamically efficient as mounting Hot Wheels tires under a brick. I sure wouldn't want to drive it far and buy the gas.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 07:05 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I sent the pictures to my nephew who worked at Whiteman before he transferred to the Space Force. He said they used these vehicles to do maintenance (radio, electronics etc.) mainly on the flightline (as evidence by the FOD (Foreign Object Debris) disposal bucket inside). Stuff was picked up from the runway and put in the bucket. He said he spent many a night sleeping in the back, waiting for something to break. Just thought I would pass that along. 50+ years ago, we drove Step vans for electronic maintenance when I was in the AF. Good luck if you go that route.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote