Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2024, 08:33 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Well, remember that we have a DC-AC-DC setup, so the Multiplus thinks it is on shore power (I have the AC input limited to 13A, which is how you control the draw from the engine alternator. This is conservative, but good enough for now). Also, with the Transit's dual alternator, I get full power from the alternator even at idle. This turns out to be the main virtue of the Transit dual alternator scheme.

I am thinking that with Home Assistant controlling things, I will just write a little script that will monitor SOC and simply turn off charging at the setpoint, and turn it back on below some hysteresis point. Maybe it isn't that simple, but seems like a good place to start.

Your charge rate is actually pretty close to what we have only we would have higher DC amps and lower voltage on the DC side as you do. We charge at a bit over 120 amps at 13.7v and by the time you add a bit of inefficiency for the DC-AC-DC units our watts are probably pretty close.

You are seeing the benefits of parallel alternators that I always liked in the past with all out previous systems. No hot alternators alternators at idle with two big ones running unless you are using a bunch of power for something else besides. Unfortunately, I couldn't get parallel to work with Wakespeed and lithium do to the equipment limitations and the necessity of being able to turn off coach charging. Does the V6 get any rougher running at idle with full output? With 6.0 in our van, which has very low 545rpm idle, I could just feel it a bit. Now we we power shape and have about 60 amps at idle and the alternator is very happy and can't feel it at all in the engine running.

You may not have to use Home Assistant on your system as it appears they have the equivalent of the Victron battery monitor in the components somplace, based on the history and settings you have shown. We are using the built SOC based internal relay to turn on and off the charging at settable points, so you may well be able to do the same thing. You would be controlling your current charge on and off relays in the system, though, I think, and wouldn't need a built in one which probably isn't there in your system's monitor.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:02 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Your charge rate is actually pretty close to what we have only we would have higher DC amps and lower voltage on the DC side as you do. We charge at a bit over 120 amps at 13.7v and by the time you add a bit of inefficiency for the DC-AC-DC units our watts are probably pretty close.
Yes, it looks like we are in the same ballpark. I am pretty satisfied with this performance, at least for now. It is pretty conservative, both WRT the charge rate and the load on the inverter & the engine. It also keeps the fan noise down. Listening to the engine, I can't tell at all whether the inverter is on or off. Note, however, that the Victron is very gradual about changing modes. It ramps up/down the charge rate over maybe a minute, rather than an abrupt change, so it makes it a little harder to listen for a change in engine tone.

Maybe as I get more comfortable I will get a little more aggressive. The Giandel inverter is rated at 2200 watts, but the max 13A@120VAC shore power setting limits the load to 1560 watts (n.b.: This is at the OUTPUT of the inverter, so the inverter overhead is already accounted for). That is 130A@12V. The CCP2 takeoff point on the Transit is fused at 175A, although I currently have a 150A breaker between it and the inverter (to protect the 175A fuse, which is buried under the driver's seat). So, there is some headroom should I choose to push it. This setup does not require load shedding or any other complexities--it just works. With some effort, you can get a LOT more current from the dual alternator setup. But, as I say, I am happy with being conservative for now--it is nice not to have to think too hard.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 12:10 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Yes, it looks like we are in the same ballpark. I am pretty satisfied with this performance, at least for now. It is pretty conservative, both WRT the charge rate and the load on the inverter & the engine. It also keeps the fan noise down. Listening to the engine, I can't tell at all whether the inverter is on or off. Note, however, that the Victron is very gradual about changing modes. It ramps up/down the charge rate over maybe a minute, rather than an abrupt change, so it makes it a little harder to listen for a change in engine tone.

Maybe as I get more comfortable I will get a little more aggressive. The Giandel inverter is rated at 2200 watts, but the max 13A@120VAC shore power setting limits the load to 1560 watts (n.b.: This is at the OUTPUT of the inverter, so the inverter overhead is already accounted for). That is 130A@12V. The CCP2 takeoff point on the Transit is fused at 175A, although I currently have a 150A breaker between it and the inverter (to protect the 175A fuse, which is buried under the driver's seat). So, there is some headroom should I choose to push it. This setup does not require load shedding or any other complexities--it just works. With some effort, you can get a LOT more current from the dual alternator setup. But, as I say, I am happy with being conservative for now--it is nice not to have to think too hard.

We charged at the same 120 amps DC at 12v nominal with the AGMS for the whole time, except when we were at 180 amps the early days. We could only control field % then so got automatic reduction at idle if the full output at speed was right. We switched to 120 and it was not any problem at all for how we used the van and drove it. We did also have the solar on then, but haven't tried it yet, but will once I settle on final charging settings.

As I mentioned, with two alternators you probably would not get the alternators hot in any but the hottest weather, I think. And if you did, the Transit will certainly turn them down I suspect. Staying low output is never a bad thing and helps everything from the alternators to the belts to the engine bearings I would think.

What idle speed does the V6 run at in the van?

The Wakespeed does the soft start also and currently I have it on the fastest setting for that starting as it also uses to go back up after load shedding. Not instant, just faster so no problem with running to low for too long at speed.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 08:59 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think you are correct on this, and it was my first impression . . . .
. . . . Do they define to users what "abuse" would be in things like DOD or charge and discharge rates?
I haven’t seen it in writing, but during one interview with Jack Johnson, Volta CTO, he mentioned multiple full discharging would be considered a warranty abuse.