Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2024, 09:00 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default extreme weight on sleeper sofa

05 pleasureway lexor 3500 chevy
can the sofa sleeper surport 450LBs all weight in middle section of sofa.I could put a piece of plywood dispurshing/distributing the weight so it's not consentrated in middle of sofa.
I want to transport a new boat engine on a 600 mile trip. and don't want to remove sofa (don't even know how to if I wanted to remove) so will the sofa get squeesed an be ruined?
I'm considering lifting 24' vessel off it's trailer an build a platform to haul engine back home that's alot of work.
I don't see fitting the engine though the side door.
also considering a hitch cargo carrier to surport the lite end of engine while the power head the heavy end sits on the van floor.an strape it down to the sofas framing.I may have to use my 2nd van which is a conversion she has double side doors, for 600 miles one way I'd prefer the RV vans pure luxury. thanks for any suggestions
Old 05-02-2024, 09:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
05 pleasureway lexor 3500 chevy
can the sofa sleeper surport 450LBs all weight in middle section of sofa.I could put a piece of plywood dispurshing/distributing the weight so it's not consentrated in middle of sofa.
I want to transport a new boat engine on a 600 mile trip. and don't want to remove sofa (don't even know how to if I wanted to remove) so will the sofa get squeesed an be ruined?
I'm considering lifting 24' vessel off it's trailer an build a platform to haul engine back home that's alot of work.
I don't see fitting the engine though the side door.
also considering a hitch cargo carrier to surport the lite end of engine while the power head the heavy end sits on the van floor.an strape it down to the sofas framing.I may have to use my 2nd van which is a conversion she has double side doors, for 600 miles one way I'd prefer the RV vans pure luxury. thanks for any suggestions

A one way rental of a small Uhaul trailer sounds a lot better and lot better way to go for all involved.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I mean... I just keep picturing a scenario where you've got to short-stop/swerve and the sound of the engine tumbling across the floor. Haha! I mean... Does the sofa have seatbelts? LOL
The Eyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:47 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
A one way rental of a small Uhaul trailer sounds a lot better and lot better way to go for all involved.
I could do the rental. but I don't have a engine hoist yet to unload. (Been considering building a gantry type hoist) using my stuff I can still be on the look out for a used hoist. I'll probaly use the 03 conversion van minus the 2nd row seats.this van has been sitting for over a year I do crank her up an move her around the back yard just haven't driven her since the new van.
I just installed a very nice audio sys in the RV van just for long trips just my luck.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eyesore View Post
.. Does the sofa have seatbelts? LOL
yes seat belts an racket strapes.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If you get one of their tilting trailers, you should be able to slide the engine down and off it. I have seen that done quite a bit with used engine/trans setups from junk yards, especially if it is on a pallet and you have a come-a-long or even a good ratchet strap or two so you can pull on just the pallet.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:44 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If you get one of their tilting trailers, you should be able to slide the engine down and off it. I have seen that done quite a bit with used engine/trans setups from junk yards, especially if it is on a pallet and you have a come-a-long or even a good ratchet strap or two so you can pull on just the pallet.
excellent suggestion pallet,then engine on tire.
I do have a come-a-long could place tubes under pallet to roll off.
I've actuely been on the lookout for a decent small 5x 10 ultility trailer they sell quick.I.m leaning toward using the 2nd van. w/RV in driveway the grunts mite not try to squat.grunts will think somone is home w/ lights on. thanks