View Poll Results: How well does your Sprinter handle in wind?
No Problem 12 30.77%
some buffeting 22 56.41%
nearly undrivable 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #1

Default Dodge Sprinter - handles very poorly in wind

I have a 06 Greatwest Sprinter Legend. Generally very good conversion quality. BIG PROBLEM is the van is nearly unsafe to drive in winds of 20mph or more. Anyone else have this issue and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ty DeBelser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I moved this poll question here to try and get more responses.

I don't remember reading of any particular wind problems with Sprinters. It will be nice to get some feedback from other Sprinter owners.

Just so everyone knows, you can reply to polls in addition to voting in polls.

Ty - have you experimented much with tire pressures?

What tire pressure are all you Sprinter owners using?

Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

We've had our Sprinter conversion just over 2 years. As long as we slow down to about 55 - 60 MPH max, we have no problems, even with a strong side wind. Perhaps you should have your tires checked, and also ask your dealer to check the airbags in the rear suspension. If they're properly inflated it makes a big difference.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #4

I run the tires at the pressure that it reccommends and have varied the rear airbags from 0 psi to 120 psi with no noticable change in handling. Certainly changes the ride. The unit drives quite nice on good road with no wind, but is scary (wife feels it from the passenger seat also) in a cross wind.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

On my Chevy RT the recommended tire pressure is 50 psi front and 80 psi rear. I run 65 front and 80 rear because I like they way it handles in corners etc.

I donít know what the recommended tire pressures are for Sprinters.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #6

Default Re: Dodge Sprinter - handles very poorly in wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty DeBelser
I have a 06 Greatwest Sprinter Legend. Generally very good conversion quality. BIG PROBLEM is the van is nearly unsafe to drive in winds of 20mph or more. Anyone else have this issue and any suggestions would be appreciated.
Which direction of wind do you feel unsafe with; side or front, while driving? Please comment about the feeling while sleeping in the same wind speed.
I wonder if the 2007 new feature of ESP will compensate for winds while driving.
Paul.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #7

It is a side wind that really affects driving. Head or tail winds are ok to travel in. Don't notice the wind rocking the unit when parked although we haven't spent many nights in it yet.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #8

Default Handling Problems

I would suggest that you see what the front tires will hold as a maximum pressure...usually 80 #'s and then I would inflate them to say 75 and see what that does. Rears should probably be at 80#'s.

I have a dually American Cruiser but if I had your unit the back would be fully inflated when COLD and front I would experiment with from 70# and up to 80#.

I found the steering great with full pressure but ride was little rough on rough roads so I now carry 80 in all 4 rear tires and 75 in the front.

You can then play with the air bags. I have no suggestions there...
Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #9

I picked up my new Great West Sprinter last Friday. Drove 150 miles home on the interstate. My wife and I split the driving. We were both very dissapointed in the wind response and general "wandering" feeling on the interstate.
r1hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #10

The tires that came on my Sprinter are Michelins and the sidewall is quite soft. I have replaced these tires on other vehicle in the past and found handling much improved.
There are rear anti-sway bars available for Sprinters that I'm sure would help as well.

topless is offline   Reply With Quote