Old 07-14-2018, 12:29 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I'd be more concerned about the chassis than the house as far as warranty goes. Everything in the house is relatively cheap to fix and the systems are pretty straight forward.

If it's not too old, you might be able to purchase a warranty from a warranty company - that might give you some peace of mind.

My luck with Class B's both new and old has been excellent - I have had little to no work needed - even on the 18 year old Xplorer I just had.

I would strongly recommend you avoid the Etreks and Ecotrek coaches on the used market. Many were never got to work properly, or have obsolete systems, or are due for battery replacements which could be pricey. If you are a tinkerer, and can do things yourself and understand electronics, then maybe it could be a good option for you - otherwise avoid them.

wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Avoid E-Treks???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I'd be more concerned about the chassis than the house as far as warranty goes. Everything in the house is relatively cheap to fix and the systems are pretty straight forward.

If it's not too old, you might be able to purchase a warranty from a warranty company - that might give you some peace of mind.

My luck with Class B's both new and old has been excellent - I have had little to no work needed - even on the 18 year old Xplorer I just had.

I would strongly recommend you avoid the Etreks and Ecotrek coaches on the used market. Many were never got to work properly, or have obsolete systems, or are due for battery replacements which could be pricey. If you are a tinkerer, and can do things yourself and understand electronics, then maybe it could be a good option for you - otherwise avoid them.
Interesting.... you know.. I didn't think about the fact that many of the 5 or 6 years old E-TREKS are going to have batteries that go bad...or have electronics issues...

That could be extremely expensive.. I see your point...
Then again..the concept is cool....

Your point makes a good argument for buying a new one and selling it before the warranty expires.

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I get over 16 mpg with my Chevy RT. That, coupled with the higher price of diesel in New England and Florida, pretty much negates the Sprinter's fuel "savings".

I'm somewhat concerned about the Sprinter's "reliability" that I've read about. I live in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire. It's bad enough that I have to travel 20 miles to get to the nearest RV or Chevy dealer for service. The closet Mercedes dealer is over 50 miles away and I don't even know if they would service a Sprinter-based RV.

To be honest, I've never driven a Sprinter. They're pretty much nonexistent in my neck of the woods. I moved down from a 36' gas engined Class A. Any Class B is a joy to drive in comparison to the Class A. My wife even drives the Roadtrek (when I let her!).

One thing I like about the 190P is that it's shorter and squattier than a Sprinter (20.5' x 8'-9"). It's easier to park, IMHO.
You wrote....

I'm somewhat concerned about the Sprinter's "reliability" that I've read about. I live in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire. It's bad enough that I have to travel 20 miles to get to the nearest RV or Chevy dealer for service. The closet Mercedes dealer is over 50 miles away and I don't even know if they would service a Sprinter-based RV.

That's a fair remark.....the dealership network for the Sprinter is not as good as it could be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I've never driven a Sprinter. They're pretty much nonexistent in my neck of the woods. I moved down from a 36' gas engined Class A. Any Class B is a joy to drive in comparison to the Class A. My wife even drives the Roadtrek (when I let her
!

OK... I understand... I completely agree with you that the smaller Class B's are much easier t Drive and park.

We looked at the Navion and it seemed like a boat by comparison......
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:01 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
When you said Roadtrek quality went down recently.... what year are you talking about?
My 2012 seems pretty nice... Pictures of my RS....
Your Roadtrek is awesome. But, I wasn't talking about design or materials, I was talking about initial build quality--fit and finish. IMO RT and Airstream are a disaster in this category, and have been for a long time.

The difference, I think, is that you bought your rig used. I suspect that most of the issues in this category were sorted under warranty or via the labor of your PO. Lucky you. By the timeI sold our 2005 Airstream Interstate, it was in perfect condition. Took a LOT of work, though.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #15
Platinum Member

We bought used for 2 reasons, this would be our first class b, and we wanted to enjoy the RV lifestyle without breaking the bank, and I was hoping for a unit that I could maintain and repair myself if needed. Well, we ended up with a 1997 Dodge Roadtrek, paid cash for it, and so far been able to do most of the repairs myself. Parts are very easy to find, and we find that the fit and finish on these older models were really solid and well done. I know itís not as pretty as the new models, sometimes when weíre out, somebody will pull up in a really nice shiny new model, and we kinda get that envious feeling,,evertbody has different wants and needs, but for us itís been great,,,,,take care,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #16
Platinum Member

We have had six Class Cs & Bs over a thirty-seven year period of time. Our best memories and "most fun rig" was a 1997 Roadtrek 190P on a Dodge chassis with the 318 V8 engine. It was a beautiful shade of green trim on a while van with green fabric interior. We bought it new, fully loaded, for about $43,000 as I recall. We sold it to a couple in Kansas that enjoyed it for many years before health caused them to sell it a few years ago. What a great rig!

Enjoy, peppster66!!
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:35 AM   #17
Platinum Member

I have less than half the cost of a high-end b-van in my Coachmen, my Super-C AND my '16 Jeep towed. My Super-C alone lost $110,000 in value from new in nine years' depreciation. My B-van lost about $70k in value in nineteen years. I DID buy the Jeep new in '16 but I bought a lifetime Chrysler warranty for it. I plan to have it a long time, and it hasn't depreciated much, and will only depreciate about 40% in ten years.

I'm not interested in the latest and greatest, I'm interested in traveling comfortably and preserving what little wealth I have to spend on travel rather than 'stuff.'

$180k in depreciation I didn't have to eat buys a LOT of repairs and a LOT of travel.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #18
Platinum Member

You can buy a lot of fuel with two or three years depreciation expense. BUT, they have never successfully canned the new vehicle smell! Sometimes, that is a good thing. Step into a lower line new travel trailer outdoors at an RV show sometime and take a whiff. EMS is already probably at the show.

That new smell in a SUV, B or whatever has gotten less important to me with age. That, my friends, is one advantage of age: the old snorter decreases in sensitivity.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
You can buy a lot of fuel with two or three years depreciation expense. BUT, they have never successfully canned the new vehicle smell! Sometimes, that is a good thing. Step into a lower line new travel trailer outdoors at an RV show sometime and take a whiff. EMS is already probably at the show.

That new smell in a SUV, B or whatever has gotten less important to me with age. That, my friends, is one advantage of age: the old snorter decreases in sensitivity.

Paul
Interesting you should mention that "smell." I went to a dealership a couple of years ago on a 90* day and walked through some "inexpensive" Class C coaches... and was nearly overcome by toxic fumes from outgassing. And apparently many of the chemicals that comprise that "new car smell" are carcinogenic. Lovely, eh?
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #20
BBQ
Platinum Member

This is all you need to make your old RV smells like new