Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2024, 11:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New sofa cushions/mattress

We have a typical small sofa in our camper which can be converted to a small bed by pulling part of it towards the kitchen isle. The foam cushions are ok for sitting on, and I don't have issues sleeping on them, but my wife complains that they are too hard.

So I was thinking about replacing the existing foam cushions with same size custom Latex pieces for top comfort.

Just wanted to see if anyone has gone down this road and can share any pros/cons, and maybe some company they were happy with (or not). I saw "Foamsource" but their prices are ridiculous. I could imagine buying a 2" and a 3" topper from say Sleep On Latex and cut and piece them together for the required 5" myself, which may be much more economical than going with an overpriced "custom cut".

We're currently using air mattresses as toppers which, again, works OK for me but not really for my wife.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:48 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Check out thefoamfactory.com

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 03:12 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks but... Pretty much made up my mind that I want Latex...
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 11:29 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Thanks but... Pretty much made up my mind that I want Latex...

We had the power sofa in our 07 Roadtrek, and while we slept on it OK but not great, we decided to get rid of it completely because it ate up so much space in the storage underneath it and in front of it.

I made a permanent bed and we got a 5" tatalay latex matress made to fit the odd shape of the main part of the bid and matching urethane bolster tops where our feet go. We got it made a marine mattress place in California. Sent them a craft paper pattern to get the shape. Very comfortable, but also very firm so not great for those that like soft. Perfect for us.

The mattress was not inexpensive though, so that is a big downside, and you would need to want to have a full time bed. We use it for the lounge area by using arm pillows as backrests so kind of like chairs with footrests.

Interestingly, that company does make latex mattresses with hinges in them for access under beds, if wanted. It might also work for the jackknife style couch.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thank you for sharing your setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We had the power sofa in our 07 Roadtrek, and while we slept on it OK but not great, we decided to get rid of it completely because it ate up so much space in the storage underneath it and in front of it.

I made a permanent bed and we got a 5" tatalay latex matress made to fit the odd shape of the main part of the bid and matching urethane bolster tops where our feet go.
Ours is just a sofa, split into four pieces: two seat areas covering the Truma on one side, and the freshwater tank/electrical stuff on the other, and the respective backs. We cannot make it permanent as then we wouldn't be able to enter into the camper, pull out drawers, etc. Compromises due to a very compact 18ft length.

Quote:
We got it made a marine mattress place in California. Sent them a craft paper pattern to get the shape. Very comfortable, but also very firm so not great for those that like soft. Perfect for us.
Are they still in business? Can you share their name?
Latex comes in different levels of firmness, I was thinking of combining a 2" soft and 3" medium firmness topper to account for our different preferences.

Quote:
The mattress was not inexpensive though, so that is a big downside, and you would need to want to have a full time bed. We use it for the lounge area by using arm pillows as backrests so kind of like chairs with footrests.
Yes, Latex is pricey, but also longer lasting than regular foam. It is also very heavy, compared to regular PU foam.
Plus, it tends to sag a bit so I am not sure it would work with our sofa back cushions. I guess it would tend to fall forward or slump, maybe.

Quote:
Interestingly, that company does make latex mattresses with hinges in them for access under beds, if wanted. It might also work for the jackknife style couch.
Yeah I was thinking about that too, but because Latex is so heavy, it would need to be supported underneath the "hinge", and I am not sure the current fabric of the cushion cases would support and keep its shape.

Hmmm. Lots of stuff to ponder.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I am pretty sure it was this company that did a very good job on ours and were very knowledgeable.

https://www.boatbeds.com/newport-beach/
booster is online now   Reply With Quote