Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k
Default No spare tire

Our Winn Travato 59k has no spare..did get repair kit with compressor...haven't looked at it yet. Wondering what experieces some have had with flats...what service provider do you think is best???
Old 05-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: No spare tire

11 years of Sprinter ownership. Never had a tire issue of any kind. Carried a spare in our old rig. Never touched it. We have a spare for our current rig, but no carrier, so we normally leave it at home to save space. Lose no sleep whatsoever over it. I suppose when and if we head to Alaska, we will probably take it.

Best choices are pretty clearly Coachnet or Allstate RV Motor Club. AAA's RV service is expensive, mediocre, and not available nationwide. Good Sam is simply a reseller of Allstate. Allstate (which is what we currently have) was cheaper than Coachnet last time I checked, but I recently read that they have some good deals now. They apparently have a US-based call center, which is probably worth something. I may switch to them next time.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I don't worry about a spare either. My van has a fairly common tire size for pickups, so I'm not concerned with getting one on the road.

If I were making the trek to Alaska, it would be a good idea to buy a bare tire and stash it somewhere - maybe on the roof.

If you really are concerned about having one always, Roadtrek is offering a continental kit for their Promaster based Zion. Surely it's simply a bolt-on to the rear door. So maybe you could order the parts from them and bolt it on your Winnie.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:42 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
I don't worry about a spare either. My van has a fairly common tire size for pickups, so I'm not concerned with getting one on the road.

If I were making the trek to Alaska, it would be a good idea to buy a bare tire and stash it somewhere - maybe on the roof.

If you really are concerned about having one always, Roadtrek is offering a continental kit for their Promaster based Zion. Surely it's simply a bolt-on to the rear door. So maybe you could order the parts from them and bolt it on your Winnie.
it needs a hitch-roadtrek uses a side hitch behind the drive side door but you could put it behind your middle hitch. you could also use this-i've heard good things about it

http://www.tiregate.com/hg-series/

coachnet
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:51 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Coachnet or Good Sam roadside. With Coachnet being the preferred. You have 1yr of Winnebago roadside with your new 59K

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:45 AM   #6
Platinum Member

My Roadtrek CS has a full size spare carried underneath.

However, in case of a tire failure, my plan is to call CoachNet and have them send someone to change it out. I'm too old and fat to do that job now.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Platinum Member

When I get my rig if it does not have a spare tire then I will do something like tiregate which gerrym51 posted.
Also, to make things easier I think I will carry the rapid jack.
http://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Manufact ... op?ie=UTF8
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Gold Member

Big thanks for the replies...will they bring a tire with the ....have Promaster chassis..think tire/rim is common
Old 05-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperml
When I get my rig if it does not have a spare tire then I will do something like tiregate which gerrym51 posted.
Also, to make things easier I think I will carry the rapid jack.
http://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Manufact ... op?ie=UTF8

i don't see how the rapidjack would work on the van. it appears you need 2 tires close together? i do know you have drw on cs but it seems this could only work using inside tire taking off outside tire in rear?
Old 05-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass59k
Big thanks for the replies...will they bring a tire with the ....have Promaster chassis..think tire/rim is common

it is a common tire-however the tire also has to get on a rim. if you depend on them to have a tire you are also depending on having a rim, or the ability to put tire on your rim.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

i don't see how the rapidjack would work on the van. it appears you need 2 tires close together? i do know you have drw on cs but it seems this could only work using inside tire taking off outside tire in rear?[/quote]

I am looking to get a B+ rig such as Pleasure Way Plateau XL that has dual rear tires so I believe the rapidjack will work on those types of RV's.
If it does not then it does not cost very much and I can always return it to amazon.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I would think that the jack would only be good for the outside tire of duals, meaning it would only work on 2 of six tires. I don't think it would be worth my carrying it for that limited use. It would be very nice on a multiaxle trailer though.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I bought a spare tire carrier off a new Jeep Wrangler and bolted it to the rear door of my Promaster. Works great. About $70 in parts and a little over an hour of labor.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am looking to get a B+ rig such as Pleasure Way Plateau XL that has dual rear tires so I believe the rapidjack will work on those types of RV's.
If it does not then it does not cost very much and I can always return it to amazon.
Again, that will only work if you have a flat on the outside tire of a dual wheel set-up, not the inside tire and not the fronts.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:48 PM   #15
Platinum Member

if you bought a van with no spare you have 2 choices. 1. take your chances-as wincrasher says the odds are in your favor -you either will have no flats-a very slow flat or nail flat that can be fixed(at least temporarily) by the slime or the tow will have a spare tire and rim.

2. if it will cause you worry-even though it probably will not happen-then your only choice is to buy a tire /and /or rim-this is a chioce-and put it on the back somehow-or in your bathroom area i suppose.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:06 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514
Quote:
Again, that will only work if you have a flat on the outside tire of a dual wheel set-up, not the inside tire and not the fronts.
... and if you use a Rapid Jack to lift on one of the duals under a loaded van you would likely damage the tire by overloading it.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #17
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass59k

it is a common tire-however the tire also has to get on a rim. if you depend on them to have a tire you are also depending on having a rim, or the ability to put tire on your rim.
That sounds scary and somewhat unlikely. ..guess I'd better learn about tire kit???
Old 06-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #18
Platinum Member

mas59k this is the tirefit system-i don't know if the promasters is bigger-it;s basically a Slime tire inflation kit

Old 06-01-2015, 10:48 PM   #19
Platinum Member

If I didn't have a spare I would always carry lots of food and beer knowing I might be sitting there for a long time waiting for someone with a new tire. I would also carry some wet wood and matches so I could send smoke signals if I was out of cell phone range.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 AM   #20
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
mas59k this is the tirefit system-i don't know if the promasters is bigger-it;s basically a Slime tire inflation kit

Saw the video..thanks..hope I don't have to use it