Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #1

Default Propane Quick Connect

My 2007 RoadTrek Chevy 190 Popular gives me the ability to attach a gas grill or gas firepit to the onboard propane tank using a quick release. The quick release fitting is built in. What adaptors do I need since gas fire pit comes with normal tank screw on connect. I don't know if have to purchase new 10' hose nor what others recommend. I would appreciate any ideas.
sally4157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally4157 View Post
My 2007 RoadTrek Chevy 190 Popular gives me the ability to attach a gas grill or gas firepit to the onboard propane tank using a quick release. The quick release fitting is built in. What adaptors do I need since gas fire pit comes with normal tank screw on connect. I don't know if have to purchase new 10' hose nor what others recommend. I would appreciate any ideas.

The quick connect is a standard one for propane that you should be able to find a hose with it already on it. 6ft hoses used to be the norm, but I have seen 10 ft a couple of places, IIRC. Find a hose that the other end matches your firepit or firepit existing hose.

Be aware that if your firepit is setup to run off of a standard propane bottle either the little 1# or a 20#, that means it is intended to be used on a "high pressure" propane source, meaning right from the bottle. The Roadtrek accessory propane is listed as "high Pressure" but it is not really at bottle pressure. The propane bottle will be at about 100psi, and the Roadtrek output will only be about 10 psi. The specs may say 15 psi for the Roadtrek, but most appear to have a 10 psi regulator on them.

It is very possible that the firepit would run with a very low flame at that pressure, so be aware of that possibility. A propane dealer may be able to find a different regulator for the firepit, or even readjust the one you have, but also maybe not. Removing the regulator from the Roadtrek tank works, also, and won't affect any other things in the van that run on a different regulator, but it is expensive to remove and replumb the propane.

Best would be to find a propane shop, or RV dealer that is experienced at the propane and have them hook up a hose to your firepit to test to see how it works. If it doesn't work well, they should be able to give you a recommendation of what to do to remedy the situation.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I carry a hose like this one https://www.rvupgradestore.com/quick...7D3DC0DB93E677

And an adapter to the bigger size connector like https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Camco...-p/14-9715.htm

But Booster is right that not all propane devices work with the relatively lower pressure Roadtrek tap. I do use a propane fire pit like this one https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Camco...-p/14-9715.htm

My Roadtrek has a 10 psi regulator on the quickconnect line. But I notice that newer ones have a 15 psi. I’m thinking about switching next time it needs replacing.

You might be able to find better prices than the above links with more searching. I just pasted in the first one I found.

An operating hint. Connect up the quickconnect to your desired propane device before opening the valve on your propane tank. Then open the valve on the quickconnect. Only then very slowly open the valve on the propane tank.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas grill connect, propane, propane connention, quick connect