Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
But that brings you to E-P levelers. I can see they save time especially in side to side leveling and in off-grid situations you don't have to rely on tell tale blocking. It probably is a want rather than need choice.
We're from different planets. For you, the need determines what you want. For me, the want determines my need.

I see this differently. If you are using RV park facilities, leveling is generally not an issue. But IMO, one of the reasons for going to a class B is it's relatively anonymous footprint and scale that permits you to spend the night most anywhere. But what often puts a crimp in finding a comfortable parking spot is longitudinal and, particularly, transverse pitch. The ability to address this with an automatic leveling system in the rain or without messing with blocking, I think is a big plus and considering the modest cost addition to a class B that is already pushing six figures, it seems like money well spent. And in the context of the eye blinking cost of an ARV, it's chump change.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
We're from different planets. For you, the need determines what you want. For me, the want determines my need.

I see this differently. If you are using RV park facilities, leveling is generally not an issue. But IMO, one of the reasons for going to a class B is it's relatively anonymous footprint and scale that permits you to spend the night most anywhere. But what often puts a crimp in finding a comfortable parking spot is longitudinal and, particularly, transverse pitch. The ability to address this with an automatic leveling system in the rain or without messing with blocking, I think is a big plus and considering the modest cost addition to a class B that is already pushing six figures, it seems like money well spent. And in the context of the eye blinking cost of an ARV, it's chump change.
I do think that you may still need to use some blocking under the levelers if it is wet or raining. We have seen lots of larger RVs with the levelers buried and not doing much of anything, and the park rangers not happy about the holes.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I do think that you may still need to use some blocking under the levelers if it is wet or raining. We have seen lots of larger RVs with the levelers buried and not doing much of anything, and the park rangers not happy about the holes.
I think the lower weight involved in a B opposed to a larger class A makes it less likely that the leveler will sink into mud. I agree that in any event blocking with levelers is a good idea to increase the surface area. But high impact blocks are thin, light, cheap and easy to store and a lot easier to position under the leveler than trying to move the coach wheels onto blocking. Also, I think the cross section of the platform on the EP leveler is pretty large.

HWH levelers on smaller coaches used to be commonplace until Mercedes got into the act with the Sprinter. Because their "sheet metal" chassis is probably more susceptible to tweaking than full box channel construction used by Ford and Chevy, Mercedes forbid upfitters from installing them for over a decade until they recently approved the installation of the EP leveling system which is currently available for installation from ARV and a few others.

I appreciate that everyone has different priorities but I've had coaches without levelers and coaches with them and for sure my next B will include them. I'd even pay the freight to add them to our 210 but for some reason both HWH and EP don't offer installations for this model. I'm guessing that we sit too close to the ground.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote