Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #401
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMFlores View Post
That's exactly what I need. I plan on bringing an electric motorcycle with me and would like to travel with it inside. I also want a short Class B so that I can spend time in cities.

I think Outside Van and Sportmobile can build up something like this too.
If you are wanting something to haul your electric motorcycle in, you really only have a couple choices - Winnebago Travato G, Hymer Aktiv and Roadtrek Zion. Those are really the only ones with a loading area big enough for a bike, along with the low load floor so you could manage to get it inside.

The twin bed model of the Airstream Interstate might also work, but it's almost double the price of a Travato, and the load floor is much higher.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #402
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
If you are wanting something to haul your electric motorcycle in, you really only have a couple choices - Winnebago Travato G, Hymer Aktiv and Roadtrek Zion. Those are really the only ones with a loading area big enough for a bike, along with the low load floor so you could manage to get it inside.

The twin bed model of the Airstream Interstate might also work, but it's almost double the price of a Travato, and the load floor is much higher.
An electric bike weights 50-60 lbs. An electric motorcycle may weigh hundreds of pounds. How are you going to get it in an out of the floor?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:01 PM   #403
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

I'm also considering the Safari Condo Promaster Flex. And I'm also considering the possibility that I'll have to carry it outside on a rack (not a trailer). Every decision is a compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
An electric bike weights 50-60 lbs. An electric motorcycle may weigh hundreds of pounds. How are you going to get it in an out of the floor?
A ramp. I've loaded all manner of motorcycles onto vans, lifted pickups, even Honda Elements. I would need four strong tie-down points to secure it in place during transit.
JohnMFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #404
Platinum Member

Default 2017 1/2 Travato 259k Rear Privacy Panel

The 2017 1/2 Travato seems to be one of the best choices among affordable Class Bs. The recent updates make the Travato even more of a best buy.

There is only one issue I wish they would address - the rear bathroom design. Most RVs with a rear bath will create a permanent or removable panel so the bathroom is not exposed when opening the rear door by default.

Any Travato 59k owners feel this is unnecessary or have developed a post purchase solution?
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #405
Silver Member

there is a chain latch on the door so that it cannot be opened inadvertently.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue #10468 "Mister Motorhome"
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #406
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Most RVs with a rear bath will create a permanent or removable panel so the bathroom is not exposed when opening the rear door by default.
Nah...
Nothing like a throne with a view:

latrine.jpg
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #407
Platinum Member

I was at one of those restaurant chains you find off the interstates and a Travato 59K owner had the rear door open in the parking lot (not sure why) but it was drawing tons of unwanted attention (the bathroom was not occupied).
Old 02-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #408
Platinum Member

Quote:

There is only one issue I wish they would address - the rear bathroom design. Most RVs with a rear bath will create a permanent or removable panel so the bathroom is not exposed when opening the rear door by default.
Many owners with rear baths find them a convenient way - after a hike with muddy boots or a muddy dog - to clean up, etc. before entering the RV.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #409
Platinum Member

Yet more evidence that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Hell would literally freeze over before I'd buy any Class B that has a toilet where the million-dollar view ought to be.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #410
Platinum Member

That is probably the biggest and most functional bathroom and shower that I have seen in a Class B. Always compromises though.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #411
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Many owners with rear baths find them a convenient way - after a hike with muddy boots or a muddy dog - to clean up, etc. before entering the RV.
Maybe i need to get over it. My 1st and only RV had a rear bath and I preferred the layout and privacy wall.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #412
Platinum Member

I think the issue is seeing the bathroom with the doors open. A permanent wall is a different issue. However, with unibody Euro style vans that can't have outside access storage you pretty much eliminate a lot of outside storage options that vans with beds in the back give you underneath you can get to from the back doors. There are always tradeoffs. The other is it usually forces the bed toward the front of the van and thus turns the van into an either or choice of staying up or going to bed. For one person, not a problem. For two people it is uncomfortable and inconvenient.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #413
Platinum Member

Losing the storage is definitely a downside to that layout. Also I love opening the rear doors and having the view and airflow out the back.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #414
Silver Member

Another interesting change to the Travato 2017.5. If you order the top rack on the Travato, the solar panel is now mounted with clips to the rack. I'm now trying to figure out if this is a good thing or not. The same is true for the new Paseo, BUT... the panel is mounted across the rack bars and on the Travato it is nestled in between the cross bars. I wonder if it is mounted length wise like the Paseo if one cannot add a second 100 watt panel right next to it? See image below:

http://assets-cdn-interactrv.netdna-...0020894277.JPG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unit_photo_201702130911170020894277.jpg (57.4 KB, 23 views)
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #415
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Another interesting change to the Travato 2017.5. If you order the top rack on the Travato, the solar panel is now mounted with clips to the rack. I'm now trying to figure out if this is a good thing or not. The same is true for the new Paseo, BUT... the panel is mounted across the rack bars and on the Travato it is nestled in between the cross bars. I wonder if it is mounted length wise like the Paseo if one cannot add a second 100 watt panel right next to it? See image below:

http://assets-cdn-interactrv.netdna-...0020894277.JPG
I think this works well if you are going to use only one panel. If you want to add more on the Travato, I do not see that being do-able via the rack system.

See Wincrasher's Travato solar upgrade
Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #416
Silver Member

Quote:
I think this works well if you are going to use only one panel. If you want to add more on the Travato, I do not see that being do-able via the rack system.

See Wincrasher's Travato solar upgrade
The rack allows the panel to sit above many of the vents in the back, thus giving more location options. I believe, if turned sideways, another panel will fit next to it. I also believe that the 13 x 54 panels that Wincrasher installed will still fit down the side if they are on the rack mounted at the ends. Just another piece of the puzzle.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #417
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
The rack allows the panel to sit above many of the vents in the back, thus giving more location options. I believe, if turned sideways, another panel will fit next to it. .
I noticed the rack mounted solar panels, too, on the Paseo, and recently on a 2017.5 59K using the new rack system.

We were told that WBO would mount that way for us when we placed a 59K order mid-December, only to have them change their mind after they got the request in writing. So we dropped the rack. I saw a Feb 8 rvtrader ad from Lakewood NJ with the panel mounted on the rack. I asked again and this time WBO said OK.

So we re-added the rack and requested that mount. We wanted the ladder a bit also, so we could hang our beloved recliners ala the Beverly Hillbillies. I'm hoping we will at least eliminate the holes in the roof from the 100W panel, make adding the 80Ws easier and maybe the panel(s) mounted higher will be somewhat less shaded. I've also wondered/hoped a second 100W panel would fit on the rack in the arrangement you mentioned. I believe Zamp has changed or added a new side mounting system for their panels.

I will be glad to report on what we get up there if the van ever shows up. Mid March is the latest prediction.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 AM   #418
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldar View Post
I noticed the rack mounted solar panels, too, on the Paseo, and recently on a 2017.5 59K using the new rack system.

We were told that WBO would mount that way for us when we placed a 59K order mid-December, only to have them change their mind after they got the request in writing. So we dropped the rack. I saw a Feb 8 rvtrader ad from Lakewood NJ with the panel mounted on the rack. I asked again and this time WBO said OK.

So we re-added the rack and requested that mount. We wanted the ladder a bit also, so we could hang our beloved recliners ala the Beverly Hillbillies. I'm hoping we will at least eliminate the holes in the roof from the 100W panel, make adding the 80Ws easier and maybe the panel(s) mounted higher will be somewhat less shaded. I've also wondered/hoped a second 100W panel would fit on the rack in the arrangement you mentioned. I believe Zamp has changed or added a new side mounting system for their panels.I will be glad to report on what we get up there if the van ever shows up. Mid March is the latest prediction.
Really interested in hearing what you discover. I want the rack almost just for the access to the roof to clean, repair, etc. Hope a second 100 watt will fit next to the other. PLEASE keep us informed. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #419
BBQ
Platinum Member

It is a good thing to mount the panel on the rack:

1. you get a shaded roof.
2. separate the solar panel from the roof will result in cooler panel temp (ie more efficient operation = higher output)
3. smaller shadow from the air conditioner
4. you can add hardware to make the panels tiltable. (important for extended boondocking)
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #420
Platinum Member

I think solar panels may interfere with use of the moveable ladder. The ladder, when detached and moved, hangs on the rack. It looks like the 80W panels, so near the edge, would interfere. In the panel/obstruction/shadow jigsaw, there is now a ladder access piece to fit in.

I'm glad to learn rack mounted panels can be more efficient. Maybe we will get something more out of the ladder/rack beyond just carrying our our chairs!
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote