Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Metal storage box to attach to hitch

Good day to everyone... I am looking to add a storage box similar to a stowaway swing away box. However I would like one in metal for security purposes. ( yes I know with the handheld saws these days it is barely a step above the plastic ones..) but at least it should produce more noise when attempting to cut through. I have looked on the site and saw an older post for Nicova... but it seems they are out of business. Does anyone else have another suggestion for a metal like storage box that can attache to the rear hitch and preferably swing away from the rear?
Many thanks for any help.. >
Buggybumpers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

anything substantial will have a weight penalty.

I know my local classifieds has a plastic stowaway w/ lights ( non swing) @$300

If I were doing this myself on the cheap, I'd attach a box to a harbor fright type cargo carrier- even a pick up type crossbed box. ( but we use our rear doors daily)

the swinging mechanism is the expensive part- I am pretty sure that stowaway ( and others) sell just the swinging frame

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Hi, Buggybumpers (love the username!).

To my knowledge - and I researched the heck out of this issue over the span of approximately two years - there is nothing on the market like you describe. Part of the reason is as the other poster noted - there would be a serious mass penalty. Many all-metal designs become almost untenable due to the resulting tongue weights alone. And on top of that, there are frequently GVWR issues that have to be considered with Class Bs.

My suggestion is that you make a careful determination of exactly what you want to carry in such a device, and then back-design to what you need in the way of a carrier, thinking minimalistically during the process.

Once you have a carrier design in mind, then it becomes a matter of execution. Santa Claus solved this predicament for us by bringing my husband a welder for Christmas last year, but such a job could also be hired out.

Here is a series of blog posts describing the construction of our carrier and the rationale behind it. If a big box is what you desire, you might think in terms of adapting a bigger Yeti or Cabela's cooler as the box - it would be much more secure than a Stowaway or the other competing product which I believe is called Gear Space. Our design did turn out to be minimalistic in every respect, but it is also pretty much immune to any smash-and-grab scenario, and the same cannot be said for any commercially-available hitch carrier that I have ever seen (with the possible exception of a few very small custom units such as produced by Aluminess).

And here's a money shot of our carrier. After this pic was taken, I trimmed the sides with reflective DOT C2 and also put non-slip abrasive step pads on the right side of it where Mrs. Canine Smilie is perched.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Thank you all so much for the quick replies... one last question... I am unsure of the whole weight on the hitch... how much weight can be allowed on the hitch itself? 200 pounds higher.. I look at the inside door but thats all gibberish to me.. thank you for your help
Buggybumpers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

depends on the hitch itself and the chassis of the van

on my 2005 chev chassis my hitch is rated to pull 5000# and carry 500#...but if you extend that weight out ( like a lever) you reach the rated weight sooner.

that info should e in your manual- and as touched on above many of the class B's are already close to max weight rating with people, food and water tanks full.

determine what you would want in a box- if it's a couple of lawn chairs, bbq and a kite...plastic will be fine.

mike
Old 12-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

"5000# and carry 500#"

mkguitar, I thought that it is twice those numbers With a Class IV hitch?

You check the manual?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
depends on the hitch itself and the chassis of the van

on my 2005 chev chassis my hitch is rated to pull 5000# and carry 500#...but if you extend that weight out ( like a lever) you reach the rated weight sooner.

that info should e in your manual- and as touched on above many of the class B's are already close to max weight rating with people, food and water tanks full.

determine what you would want in a box- if it's a couple of lawn chairs, bbq and a kite...plastic will be fine.

mike
Yes, and yes, and yes.

Our 2006 T1N Sprinter is 500# and 5000# but even with that, there's wholly separate issue of the GVWR and would we want to expend 500# on the hitch? Probably never. Detailed analysis omitted for brevity.

And if the stuff to be carried is not expensive, to heck with the whole analysis - just get any old thing to carry it with.

I did not want to see my $400 Yeti stolen, not to mention its contents, because I had a specific application - taking frozen food packed on dry ice to remote areas to feed people we were meeting there. If I lost my cooler to a thief, not only would I lose my $400, I'd also lose my vacation logistics and my sanity.

But if we were taking lawn chairs and beach toys, there's no way we would have gone to as much effort as we did. It would make no sense. The commercial plastic hitch-mounted boxes can be opened in 15 seconds or less with a crowbar. The biggest loss in a toy / lawn chair scenario would be the financial issue of having the carrier itself broken, because many of them are not cheap.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"5000# and carry 500#"----
You check the manual?
yes for MY van those are the specs, yours may differ.

Mike
Old 12-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #9
Platinum Member

If you are looking for some ideas on a metal hitch box - check out these photos I took last summer in Winnipeg. It has tripod landing gear made from swing down trailer hitch jacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Nicely done, except for the security. An expensive box like that runs a big risk of being stolen in its entirely right off the hitch itself (not just the contents stolen out of the box). A sledgehammer is all that is required to defeat a typical hitch pin. We have a heavy-duty locking pin, plus we have a secondary security chain running from our carrier to the chassis. The chain is a Pewag and the locks on both ends are shielded from cutting.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:25 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I know, it looks a little Jed Clampett-esque but it works!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I did the metal box on the hitch carrier.
Made a tube that slides inside the hitch tube.
Difficult to slide out ,but gives me rear door access.
Had to make a lighted license plate carrier .
The rack on bottom also has openings for shovels and the like if you do any boondocking.
Rock solid,even has a ball on the end to pull my little kayak trailer.
Go luck ,happy travels.
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
I know, it looks a little Jed Clampett-esque but it works!
I like it.
Did very similar,but on the back.
Never though to use the front?
Good idea.
Any problems with air flow for cooling system?
Old 06-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I also chose a metal cargo box for strength & security. It has two bike carriers on top.

I used two hitch receivers for stability and four heavy duty slides to make sliding the box out from the van rear doors effortless. The dual support tubes are "Z" shaped to raise the ground clearance of the cargo box.

The build is detailed here: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...-van-3382.html

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Default Sweet Rig

Nice van you have there Marko.
I have a 1997 Roadtrek.
Just getting ready to repaint the whole thing.
Wanted to go all white,but thought it would be too much white.
After seeing your Rig,it's going all white.
I took a "back porch" rear hitch platform.
Added a large aluminum security box.
And it too has a bike carrier.
I can also store my shovels and the like in the opening under the box.
I added one of the 49" five way led lightstrips to the bottom of the rack for added visibility in the rain and stuff.
Again ,Super nice looking rig. Thought it was a much later model?
Cheers
Eddie
Old 06-26-2017, 12:48 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Thanks Eddie. I have to repaint the running boards and have been wondering if I should match the bumper color or stay with white. I'll ask for some how to paint advice in a new topic.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Any cooling problems? You look like you are in Florida, and radiators need all the airflow they can get in the summer. Also, do you need front license plates in your State?
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Nice!
I have a swing out that I made.
But weight is an issue.........the trailer wheel is a great idea.
Thanks for the pic.
Eddie
Old 08-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #19
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I also chose a metal cargo box for strength & security. It has two bike carriers on top.

I used two hitch receivers for stability and four heavy duty slides to make sliding the box out from the van rear doors effortless. The dual support tubes are "Z" shaped to raise the ground clearance of the cargo box.

The build is detailed here: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...-van-3382.html

+1

Looking good !