Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3
Default Advanced RV ballpark cost for class B

I was wondering if anyone here has built a custom rv at Advanced RV. I can go on Roadtrek and build an RV to price out, but since Advanced RV is custom built, I am unable to do that. Can anyone tell me a ballpark cost for a 22 foot Mercedes chassis Class B with the usual bells and whistles? Thanks.
__________________

sjedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
Gold Member
 
warpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 98
Default

I thought that it was in the ballpark of 200-250k but I'm sure someone will be able to give you more definite numbers. Way, way beyond my budget!
__________________

__________________
Wannabee (hopefully someday one of following):
SC XL21 Plus (dream)| WBO 59G| Aktiv 1.0| Axion
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:33 AM   #3
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjedelen View Post
I was wondering if anyone here has built a custom rv at Advanced RV. I can go on Roadtrek and build an RV to price out, but since Advanced RV is custom built, I am unable to do that. Can anyone tell me a ballpark cost for a 22 foot Mercedes chassis Class B with the usual bells and whistles? Thanks.
Just go on the ARV website and look at the prices they ask for used units. That will tell you Warpig is probably quite a bit low.

Pull up their individual rental units and they also show a "buy" price.
RENTAL VEHICLES Luxury Motor homes - RV Rental By Advanced
.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #4
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,312
Default

"If you have to ask..."
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, Ks. Suburb
Posts: 856
Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
"If you have to ask..."

That's a good one.

$200-$250k is a good start at the new price point
__________________
Bob & Sharon
2019 Winnebago Travato K (2018 Chassis)

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
That's a good one.

$200-$250k is a good start at the new price point
Except, they want $270K + for the two used '2016 models in their rental fleet. I'm not saying they won't build you a new one for under $300K, but the OP mentioned wanting some bells & whistles.
.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, Ks. Suburb
Posts: 856
Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Except, they want $270K + for the two used '2016 models in their rental fleet. I'm not saying they won't build you a new one for under $300K, but the OP mentioned wanting some bells & whistles.
.
Yes, bells and whistles are $$$
__________________
Bob & Sharon
2019 Winnebago Travato K (2018 Chassis)

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 AM   #8
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 35
Default

I think they are now in the $300,000 range. An excellent product if that is your price range.
__________________
Gail
2017 Travato K
Gail Staton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:34 AM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 4
Default

response from the company when I inquired:

Thank you for your question. Our motor homes range in price from $245,000 with very little customization, to well over $300,000. All of our motorhomes are built to give you the freedom of off the grid travel with battery systems that allow you to go for weeks at a time without plugging in and huge tank capacities that allow you to go longer between dumps and fills. Our systems are integrated and controlled on one touchscreen panel and we use diesel fired heat and hot water. We build a lot of motor homes that are not fancy on the inside. It is our systems and technologies that drives price more than material selections.

I hope this is helpful. I am available by email or phone if you have additional questions.
J__T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
Gold Member
 
Arlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 98
Default

If you are still interested in ARV, consider attending Advanced Fest 2019, which is in early May. I am not an ARV owner yet, but attended in 2018 and 2017. It was a great opportunity to see many of their vans, tour the production facility, and talk with Mike N. and many ARV employees. It is a fun weekend in a very relaxed and welcoming environment.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Just go on the ARV website and look at the prices they ask for used units. That will tell you Warpig is probably quite a bit low.

Pull up their individual rental units and they also show a "buy" price.
RENTAL VEHICLES Luxury Motor homes - RV Rental By Advanced
.
Noticed today that ARV has taken down the pricing for their used units. You now have to call to get the prices. I'd guess pricing on used unit is negotiable. Some have been on the list for a long time.
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #12
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Noticed today that ARV has taken down the pricing for their used units. You now have to call to get the prices. I'd guess pricing on used unit is negotiable. Some have been on the list for a long time.
Very hard to find on their website (even from the link I previously provided). But once you get to their page of .pdfs on their four current rentals, you can still find them, like this one.

http://advanced-rv.rentals/wp-conten...03/GiddyUp.pdf
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Noticed today that ARV has taken down the pricing for their used units. You now have to call to get the prices. I'd guess pricing on used unit is negotiable. Some have been on the list for a long time.
They're not in a huge hurry to sell most of them, since they use them for rentals to introduce people to the product. But yes, I would expect the prices to be negotiable.
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,609
Default

If you call them, they will give you a starter budget. Since it's completely custom, anything you choose to do has a cost. I've heard that the bearbones setup would be around $220k and it goes up from there. But that is an XL Sprinter. I would think you could save some money going with the smaller van, since all the material quantities would be less. They are now building on the 19' 4x4 Sprinter, so those are probably much less $ in the end.
__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #15
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,430
Default

In my conversion I paid for high quality materials and appliances at retailed prices such as Eberspacher, Origo, marine level electrical, Isotemp, Isotherm, back connected solar panels, Morningstar, Thinsulate, 80/20 extrusions and fasteners, Magnum etc.

For my 144” WB total material with CNCed HDPE and 80/20 aluminum extrusion machining was about $25K minus $3k for sold seats. My conversion doesn’t have shower enclosure (shouldn’t be too expensive) and a Li Power Plant. I think ARV high cost are mainly due to running full business, R&D, manufacturing, marketing, sales but not their material costs.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:35 PM   #16
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Very hard to find on their website (even from the link I previously provided). But once you get to their page of .pdfs on their four current rentals, you can still find them, like this one.

http://advanced-rv.rentals/wp-conten...03/GiddyUp.pdf
Interesting - good find, looks like Advanced RV Rental is a seperate company. Makes sense.

About RV Rental By Advanced. Luxury Mercedes Sprinter Motorhome.
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:40 PM   #17
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
In my conversion I paid for high quality materials and appliances at retailed prices such as Eberspacher, Origo, marine level electrical, Isotemp, Isotherm, back connected solar panels, Morningstar, Thinsulate, 80/20 extrusions and fasteners, Magnum etc.

For my 144” WB total material with CNCed HDPE and 80/20 aluminum extrusion machining was about $25K minus $3k for sold seats. My conversion doesn’t have shower enclosure (shouldn’t be too expensive) and a Li Power Plant. I think ARV high cost are mainly due to running full business, R&D, manufacturing, marketing, sales but not their material costs.
How many hours did you invest to complete your conversion? Labor is normally the biggest cost for a business like ARV.
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:04 AM   #18
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
How many hours did you invest to complete your conversion? Labor is normally the biggest cost for a business like ARV.
I didn’t keep accurate records so these are bulk numbers. The project started in late 2012 and van arrived early in 2013. It was “campable” by late 2013 and 90% finished by mid-2014. No work was done in 2015 and van was practically finished by early 2016. During this period we were in EU for the total of one year.

Just guessing, it took me about 3-4 month of full-time work, about 60% CAD cabinetry and electrical work, remaining time in assembly and purchases. All 8020 aluminum framing material was machined at the factory, practically all door, drawers HDPE finish panels were cut on CNC, all drawers came from Barker Brothers. Because bulk of my work was done on the computer practically no rework was necessary.

Was it a prototype?, yes it was. A dilemma for any DIY conversion, there were no 2-3 prototypes before a production unit would be rolling out.

I learned a lot, was it a fun project – yes it was, but would I do it again, perhaps not. With my objectives of 360-degree view and no stuff hanging below rocker panels for high road clearance my options are still very limited today. I would investigate how to get a Westfalia, Adria, Hymer EU or other EU brand conversion into US. Good news is that today we have 3 tall van brands available to choose, in 2013 it was Sprinter only.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #19
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I didn’t keep accurate records so these are bulk numbers. The project started in late 2012 and van arrived early in 2013. It was “campable” by late 2013 and 90% finished by mid-2014. No work was done in 2015 and van was practically finished by early 2016. During this period we were in EU for the total of one year.

Just guessing, it took me about 3-4 month of full-time work, about 60% CAD cabinetry and electrical work, remaining time in assembly and purchases. All 8020 aluminum framing material was machined at the factory, practically all door, drawers HDPE finish panels were cut on CNC, all drawers came from Barker Brothers. Because bulk of my work was done on the computer practically no rework was necessary.

Was it a prototype?, yes it was. A dilemma for any DIY conversion, there were no 2-3 prototypes before a production unit would be rolling out.

I learned a lot, was it a fun project – yes it was, but would I do it again, perhaps not. With my objectives of 360-degree view and no stuff hanging below rocker panels for high road clearance my options are still very limited today. I would investigate how to get a Westfalia, Adria, Hymer EU or other EU brand conversion into US. Good news is that today we have 3 tall van brands available to choose, in 2013 it was Sprinter only.
Thanks George. I agree that building a van is a fun project. I did one back in the late 70's when I built a 1973 Dodge pop-top conversion. I was a very basic camper. I also didn't want to do one from scratch again so I bought the Airstream Interstate and upgraded the electrical system to make it a reasonable boon-docking van.

OK say you spent 4 months at 40 hours per week, that would be roughly 640 hours. Labor cost for a company like ARV is around $100/hour considering overheads and benefits. That means about $64,000 in conversion labor. Company margin could be another 10-25% on top of materials and labor. You can see why these custom jobs can get pricey.
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #20
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thanks George. I agree that building a van is a fun project. I did one back in the late 70's when I built a 1973 Dodge pop-top conversion. I was a very basic camper. I also didn't want to do one from scratch again so I bought the Airstream Interstate and upgraded the electrical system to make it a reasonable boon-docking van.

OK say you spent 4 months at 40 hours per week, that would be roughly 640 hours. Labor cost for a company like ARV is around $100/hour considering overheads and benefits. That means about $64,000 in conversion labor. Company margin could be another 10-25% on top of materials and labor. You can see why these custom jobs can get pricey.
Good comments with one correction building one versus many, a prototype versus production units. Assuming 640 hours total, the nonrecurring cost of my R&D would be at 60% = 384 hours which I wouldn’t have to do in a next conversion - this cost would be distributed for this model line.

Have I had a fully tooled shop my manufacturing side of that expense would also be lower let’s say by 25%? So, 640 hours – 384 = 256, -25% = 192 hours = $20K plus distributed R&D cost. With higher volume I could subtract another 25% by introducing better tooling or even automation.

With these numbers I struggle with NA, and especially ARV, prices. I see way more R&D and factory automation in EU and associated lower costs.

Another perspective are fiberglass trailers ranging from $20K to the most expensive Airstream new addition Nest at $50K. They need similar appliances, similar sizes, frame and wheels, fiberglass molds, they also need to be built from inside just like our vans so from manufacturing perspective costs of making Van RVs or Fiberglass trailer should be similar but prices are not.

I think higher volume allowing for more upfront spending in design and tooling makes EU costs lower and undoubtfully their prices are more in line with their costs.
__________________

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×