Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donker View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! After months of thinking I actually purchased 2x 100ah AGM batteries tonight, I just went to get on the road already! Always room for change in the future.

Too much to concern myself with learning about float charging voltages and what this alternator puts out. I don't want to damage the expensive lithium battery, so I got this pair of trainer batteries.
Good decision, and you'll probably be just fine. Use as many 12v appliances as you can (exception is fridge on propane) so you won't need the 110v inverter with it's inherent drain and inefficiency. So long as you charge daily by driving at least a few hours or plug in to a campsite you may find you never get the batteries below 75% discharge. That includes running a few hours of lights & tv, plus overnight vent fan or furnace (depending on the temperatures).

Hopefully you have a battery meter to monitor your voltage. There will be fluctuations and voltage drops as you are using your batteries, but test your batteries at rest and don't let them drop regularly below 50% of charge or significantly past that so as to not shorten their life cycles. This means you have 200 amp hours times 50%; or 100 amp hours to use on a typical basis.

Here's a link to a general state-of-charge voltage chart of various lead-acid battery types:

https://www.energymatters.com.au/com...age-discharge/
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote