Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default What's In Your Outdoor Kitchen?

Hi Everbody,

What kind of stove do you use when you cook outside? Do you travel with some kind of portable grill, either charcoal or propane? How do you carry this? Are you able to find room inside your rig, or do you use a hitch-mounted (or roof) cargo carrier?

Thanks,

Robert
Redwood City, CA
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We use now an Insant Pot and a portable induction cooktop on our current trip outside. On previous trips we used a Coleman combined griddle and burner propane grill, a large cast iron Dutch oven with charcoal for stews and pizza, and just cooked on the fire pit grate with wood if just grilling hamburger, brats and hot dogs.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

For trips without external Stowaway 2 hitch storage just white gas single burner Svea / Optimus and small barbeque by Magma. For longer trips double burner Coleman white gas stove. I prefer white gas over propane canisters, less headache. Usually 2 LPG bottles for barbeque are enough for good few days.

For light I carry small white gas powered Coleman Peak1 lantern. It is a real antique today. LED lights will likely purge old fashion LPG or white gas mantle lights.
Attached Images
File Type: png svea.png (220.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png mag.png (231.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: png cole.png (201.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: png lant.png (588.6 KB, 24 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:23 AM   #4
Platinum Member

We also use the small Magma. Not as compact as some grills, but fits in a 35 Liter plastic tub between the bench seats when traveling. Works exceptionally well for grilling and I can put a saucepan on it if I don't want to heat up the van. No paint or teflon, cooks evenly, good wind resistance and temp is well-controlled.

One of the finer things in life that we bought based on a recommendation here. Ironically, I thought it was Davydd who recommended it, but I see in his post he doesn't use one. Guess it just reminded me of ARV quality...
Old 05-22-2018, 12:32 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Another one with the smallest Magma grille. It was the only one I could find that would fit in the outside pod storage on our 07 C190P Roadtrek. No grille smells inside the van that way and it cooks extremely well for us. We also carry, but rarely use, a Fold-N-Go two burner propane stove. They both will run off the van big propane tank, even at the same time, with our 15' Extension hose, so we can get a picnic table 95% of the time. We also have a small folding table to use if we need it.

The only things cooked inside the van are in the microwave, I think we used the stove once in the last decade and that was before we got the outside burner stove.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I use an Olympian LP grill via a removable bracket on the side of my van as shown in attached photo. It connects to my LP tank via a quick-connect fitting on the LP fill panel behind the RH rear tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0560med.jpg (111.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Very nice! Where do you store it between uses?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
Very nice! Where do you store it between uses?
My Airstream Interstate has a large cargo area in the back, behind the lounge/bed. Here is a photo of a partial load I can carry. The Olympian Grill is in the black storage bag under my folding tandem bike in the center of attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Folding TandemLR.jpg (143.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 05-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I see. My Class B has very little storage space behind the rear couch/folding bed. I've decided to go with a hitch mounted cargo carrier and a nylon duffel bag that fits in it for all my outdoor kitchen gear.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Thanks for the Replies

I like the idea of the instant pot and induction plate if I know I'll have shore power. In the boonies, I'd rather burn the fuel to cook, instead of generating electricity first.

For short trips, the backpacking stove would work. I'll have to pull out my old Svea stove and see if it still works.

For now, I use a Zippo 2-burner camping stove. It has good BTU output and is unaffected by wind. It has legs, so I can set it up next to a table without taking up space. Also, the legs fit into mounts that are threaded in such a way as to provide leveling on uneven ground. It has a little bubble level in it, to help with adjustment.

For a grill, I'm using a small charcoal cooker called a Cobb. It cooks well, but it does mean I have to have charcoal for it.

As I said elsewhere in this thread, I've gotten impatient with how difficult it is to carefully pack all this so it'll fit. So, I bought a cargo carrier into which everything goes and comes out very quickly.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #11
Silver Member

I use a small Iwatani grill, Kovea Camp One stove, and Coleman folding oven. Everything is stored in the rear under the sofa bed. Made an air sealed carry/storage box for the grill, a stand and a storage box for the oven.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #12
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I use an Olympian LP grill via a removable bracket on the side of my van as shown in attached photo. It connects to my LP tank via a quick-connect fitting on the LP fill panel behind the RH rear tires.
For a second I thought you had a built-in drawer.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I've been using a propane Cadac Safari Chef Lightweight. It has a grill, 2 sided griddle (flat and raised ribbed) and a top which doubles as a lid or wok. It folds into a 12" x12" x 8.5" package and fits nicely in the rear storage compartment under the bed. BTU output is medium, but perfect for 2 people.

https://www.amazon.com/CADAC-Safari-..._&dpSrc=detail
Old 05-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
Platinum Member

We are just waiting delivery on our 2019 Plateau. If space permits I hope to take our instant pot mini , induction hotplate, sous vide, and smallish C.I. frypan.

We have a small Weber BBQ we have used for years with our Airstream trailer (that bbq is not the more modern kind Weber now offer (Q), it is the "Squareish" one! Not sure if it will fit under the rear sofa.
if not I will try to find a smaller bbq. On line, I have seen a smaller stainless Camco one and also the Coleman "Fold n Go" which is the smallest I have seen.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #15
Platinum Member

We use the old toolbox shaped Weber grill, stored for traveling in a large trash bag in the cabinet for hanging clothes. I've recently gotten a 3 quart Instant Pot and have found I can run it off of my Magnum inverter so I'll likely retire the grill for most trips unless I think I'm going to need to use it as a fire pit.
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
Platinum Member

We carry a Coleman propane stove with the combo burner and grill. I also picked up one of the Tembo Tusk Skottle grills at Overland Expo last year but we haven’t tried it out yet. These are very popular with the Overland travelers and don’t take up too much space when disassembled. Easy to prepare food for a larger group all at once using it. They also make a table top model that uses a smaller disk and smaller burner.

https://tembotusk.myshopify.com/coll...-skottle-kit-1
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #17

Love the simplicity and ease of an ordinary Weber compact gas grill. Great for 2 people!
hherbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #18

Default Easy clean up!

George Foreman Camp and Tailgate Portable Propane Grill, GP200R
Food doesn't fall through or stick - no slots and easy easy clean up! Got it from Walmart... love it!
gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I carry a folding grill that folds to size of a laptop. Requires only 14 briquettes per cook. I use a small piece of a fire starter to get coals going. Perfect size for 2 strip steaks or 4 burgers/chicken pieces/chops. If line with tin foil there is no mess or odor so can store inside your vehicle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Jetboil genesis two burner (folds like a clam shell) and an attached jetboil burner for really fast coffee.

Grill collapse to 14” x 8” and is real charcoal.

Both work great!
Twinbridges is offline   Reply With Quote