Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2010, 12:45 AM   #1

Default 2004 Roadtrek 170 Popular

It sure is good owning my Roadtrek for the last 5 years. Great on the road, camping, long distance travel, local market short stops, plain cruising with it... going to church with it (not many campers can do that!)..., I've really done a lot of additions and changes to it. Even had mishaps like unknowingly driving on a road island and damaging its fender. Last month, a pickup truck side swiped the Roadtrek's rear bumper. The really thing that bothers me a lot is when I'm putting gas! No matter what position the nozzle is turned sideways, upway, downway... the clutch would release. I'd press on the nozzle to put gas, still it would release. Just imagine the line behind me wondering what I'm doing! So... I would only put gas at night when there's no line, let alone traveling far on the road. I've taken it to the Chevrolet dealer and they don't have a solution for it. They'd say, "It's been converted in Canada!"
Sampera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2004 Roadtrek 170 Popular

I'm not sure if this gas nozzle thing began when you were side swiped or you've been dealing with this for the last 5 years. The problem is, of course, that the gas filler tube does not accept the gas as fast as you pump it. If it's been with you all the time, one of the things I've learned with another GM product is that the gas pump nozzle should not be pushed in as deep as possible, because then the rubber insulator jams against the lip in such a way as to prevent full flow. You need to allow air to escape from the tank at the same rate as you pump the gas. Try backing off a bit, and perhaps just easing off on the nozzle too.
If the problem began with the side swipe, it is possible that the little spring loaded flap near the top if the filler tube has broken off and is lodged in the filler tube, blocking the flow of fuel. Get a "snake" and carefully feed it into the gas filler tube to feel if there is a blockage or perhaps a kink.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: 2004 Roadtrek 170 Popular

Are the pump nozzles the type with the accordion sleeve along the spout that are
supposed to "grab" onto your vehicle while fueling? I believe they started in CA and
are known as clean air types of pump nozzles. I only run into them in the USA once in
a while and have had similar problems. I've tried what JR suggested, and sometimes it
works, and sometimes not. I try not to press the nozzle apparatus hard against the van's fuel
fill pipe assembly, and let it do the work when the suction begins to hold it in place.
Link to some others who've had a similar problems, and a fix of sorts...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/new-ca- ... 58181.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/new-ca- ... 181-2.html