Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #21

Bud, thanks for idea I did tried using Seafoam of different procedures and its sure did cleaned carburetor start right away. I keep run for almost half day, as long as I turn my AC in low load no problem it will stay for 2 hours, the moment I switch into medium load surging will never stop. That's I thought the fuel not giving Enough fuel. Running in low load doesn't do any good I cannot even brew coffee .
Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renwick View Post
Bud, thanks for idea I did tried using Seafoam of different procedures and its sure did cleaned carburetor start right away. I keep run for almost half day, as long as I turn my AC in low load no problem it will stay for 2 hours, the moment I switch into medium load surging will never stop. That's I thought the fuel not giving Enough fuel. Running in low load doesn't do any good I cannot even brew coffee .

Take a look at your altitude setting on the carb and turn it to the lowest altitude it will go to and see if it gets better. If it does, remove the limiting cap and turn it the same direction, toward lower altitude to see if it gets batter. That setting is basically a mixture setting so low altitude is richer.

Continue to use the Seafoam, but try using a different procedure with it. Add Seafoam to the tank at the double storage rate, which they will give you on the bottle for cleaning. Run the generator at whatever load it will handle without surging for about 20 minutes and then let it sit overnight. Repeat at least 3 times or until it starts to be able to handle more load. Seafoam appears to work better when sitting still for a while, but the solvents get depleted after a while so need to run periodically to refresh it. This procedure has worked well for us and others, so worth a try.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Darius, as you research the surging you'll see that it's a pretty common problem. The jets can very easily get gunked up. Seafoam will help with the problem but it's a pain to get a strong mixture into the carb. I finally did some modifications to the fuel line to make it easier to get the seafoam directly into the carb.
- First I installed a 2-way fuel valve. In position "1" the fuel goes from the vehicles’ fuel tank to the generator as normal. In position "2" the fuel is shut off completely to the generator. In position "3" I have a piece of fuel line that I can drop into a jar of seafom and gas mixture that will now go directly to the carb. I leave the extra fuel line connected but I plug the other end and stow it up in the frame with a tie wrap.
Hope this helps! Dave
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel valve.JPG (52.0 KB, 53 views)
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBad View Post
Darius, as you research the surging you'll see that it's a pretty common problem. The jets can very easily get gunked up. Seafoam will help with the problem but it's a pain to get a strong mixture into the carb. I finally did some modifications to the fuel line to make it easier to get the seafoam directly into the carb.
- First I installed a 2-way fuel valve. In position "1" the fuel goes from the vehicles’ fuel tank to the generator as normal. In position "2" the fuel is shut off completely to the generator. In position "3" I have a piece of fuel line that I can drop into a jar of seafom and gas mixture that will now go directly to the carb. I leave the extra fuel line connected but I plug the other end and stow it up in the frame with a tie wrap.
Hope this helps! Dave
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a very common modification and has been done quite abit. It works well, with the only downside being the need for separate gas carrying if on the road when you need to do it. I built similar about 10 years ago which we used successfully until we got rid of the generator completely a few years ago. Some of the fancier setups used outboard motor gas line quick connects to do the connecting, along with the mentioned either/or valve. Easy at that point to just switch the valve and plug in the separate tank hose with no gas contact or hazard.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #25

Thanks DaveBad, I like your idea in that case I can clean the carb quite often without disconnecting the fuel . I just from Amazon it takes a month to delivery I guess something to the corona virus, I hope I will get before the end April.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #26

I went to that route before I end up broke the knob I bought a replacement. Thank you for the idea.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
I went to that route before I end up broke the knob I bought a replacement. Thank you for the idea.

If you are talking about the altitude knob, it is no surprise it broke. Most are broken or stripped out sooner or later. The knob has built in stops which is an emissions thing to limit mixture adjustment, so if you leave the knob off, you will get substantially more range on the setting, at least we did. It made the running for cleaning much easier because we could put more load on it before it would surge.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:21 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks DaveBad, I like your idea in that case I can clean the carb quite often without disconnecting the fuel . I just from Amazon it takes a month to delivery I guess something to the corona virus, I hope I will get before the end April.
Thanks
This is a good video describing the cleaning process with seafoam.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #29
Platinum Member

That is an interesting video in some respects, especially the concentrations of Seafoam used.

I was actually a bit surprised that the engine would start with the 1 to 2 Seafoam/fuel mix, although it probably started on the residual gas in the carb and then was able to run, and it was already warmed up. My guess would be that you wouldn't want to run much load on it with that mix, though, as I would think it won't make much power. It certainly will clean with that mixture though, as long as it gets into all the passages. It might also need a bit of starting ether in the spring to start with that mixture.

The cleanout procedure given is pretty typical of many of the carb cleaning products and does work well and as shown is best of spark plug(s) are removed. Of note is to be very careful where you put the spark plug wire(s) when you do it. If it is close to the plug hole(s) and near ground it can spark and create a blowtorch out the plug hole. A similar method was used in the good old days of carburetor equipped cars around here in Minnesota. Remove the plugs and use a little torch to ignite the fuel in them to deflood the engine. You eventually hit one with an intake valve open and it will bark back and clean the intake also.

Personally, if you are going to do the fuel line removal a couple of times a year to just condition for storage, the valve and port setups make a lot more sense to me.

If you do use the fuel line removed method, it is always a good idea to have a hose pinch off clamp available to prevent the removed fuel line from siphoning the gas tank of the RV. A small vise grip with the grip teeth taped over or other methods to protect the hose works fine.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:38 AM   #30

My two way valve arrived so exited can’t wait to hook it up after cut the fuel lines installed exactly DaveBad did to his generator got the proper mixture of Seafoam and premium gasoline started cranking darn things will start switching the the valve back infort different position no avail. Switch back the old fuel line after few cranking generator runs surge for a while then calm down like a baby. I said to myself wow this will work because the way I set up the two way valve is after the fuel pump there’s no way the Seafoam will suck into the line. The only convenient for me to set is close to carburetor and the fuel filter.
The problem with the Roadtrek so compacted the fuel pump is sat next to the generator which is enclosed in a plastic box almost impossible to open. For the mean time continue on my six pack ����
Old 03-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
My two way valve arrived so exited can’t wait to hook it up after cut the fuel lines installed exactly DaveBad did to his generator got the proper mixture of Seafoam and premium gasoline started cranking darn things will start switching the the valve back infort different position no avail. Switch back the old fuel line after few cranking generator runs surge for a while then calm down like a baby. I said to myself wow this will work because the way I set up the two way valve is after the fuel pump there’s no way the Seafoam will suck into the line. The only convenient for me to set is close to carburetor and the fuel filter.
The problem with the Roadtrek so compacted the fuel pump is sat next to the generator which is enclosed in a plastic box almost impossible to open. For the mean time continue on my six pack ����
The valve should be put in between the fuel tank and the generator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel lines.JPG (105.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-07-2020, 06:49 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Did the original problem with an Onan BGE generator that started this thread get solved?
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Did the original problem with an Onan BGE generator that started this thread get solved?
Too difficult to install the 2way valve. I have go under the van due to the design of the fuel line.
Thanks