Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2024, 06:31 PM   #1

Default CS Adventurous Inverter Issue

My 2015 Roadtrek Adventurous CS - batteries less than 2 months old, were lasting 12-15 hours for just some fans and lights, occasional TV use.

A few days ago, batteries fully charged (shore power over 30 hours), after 30-45 min of same light usage, inverter steady beeps, battery indicator shows completely dead and the panel above the bed shows red led instead of green which is noted "check errors on box".
If I start the van (under hood Generator) the batteries show fully charged again on the panel, but this will happen again in the same 30-45 min window afterwards, over and over this cycle.
I did notice the fan isn't running on the inverter ever anymore and I don't know if that could be why its shutting down and beeping and if the fan is replaceable or the whole inverter must be changed
I have no decent dealer service near me so I would love if anyone has some advice.
I have the solar option and the 2500 watt inverter under the bed.
I have been using this van every night almost for over a month and this just started a few nights ago.
jmnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

First thing to do is test the batteries. Put a volt meter on them and report here.

If the batteries are flooded lead acid check the water level. Take them to AutoZone or O’Reilly’s for testing. No charge.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:19 PM   #3

I will do that this evening. They are new and have worked great 4 AGM batteries, until recently this week. I don't understand why as soon as I start the engine which runs the under hood gen that they reset and show a full state again but dead in 30 min
Old 04-01-2024, 09:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnorton View Post
I will do that this evening. They are new and have worked great 4 AGM batteries, until recently this week. I don't understand why as soon as I start the engine which runs the under hood gen that they reset and show a full state again but dead in 30 min

A lot of the control and monitor panels are just voltmeters with indicator lights. When you start the engine they see voltage that is higher than full battery is so the show full, when they aren't. Put a digital voltmeter (cheapo even from harbor freight) and and check the batteries manually to be certain.

The only way to accurately monitor batteries is with a shunt based monitor like a Victron or Trimetric.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is totally understandable and normal. The battery meter is just a voltmeter and as soon as the engine starts the voltage will go to full. It is not as smart as your cell phone battery meter.

My guess is one of your AGMs has failed. Get it tested. Get a shunt based battery monitor installed.

Read this. He is not right about everything but he knows more than most of us.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

https://shop.bogartengineering.com/p...attery-monitor
Old 04-01-2024, 09:56 PM   #6

That makes sense thank you for the input I have not checked the individual batteries I just plugged it in for about 30 hours with nothing on to make sure the batteries were fully charged then sure enough, 2 hours in to boon docking, the inverter started beeping. I have noticed I don't hear the fan on my inverter anymore either its right under the bed and I have heard it in the past. There is no display on my inverter only 4 lights so I don't know how to get codes.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
That makes sense thank you for the input I have not checked the individual batteries I just plugged it in for about 30 hours with nothing on to make sure the batteries were fully charged then sure enough, 2 hours in to boon docking, the inverter started beeping. I have noticed I don't hear the fan on my inverter anymore either its right under the bed and I have heard it in the past. There is no display on my inverter only 4 lights so I don't know how to get codes.

Sounds like is either dear or needs some kind of reset. Try to find and owners manual online for the inverter so you can see what it says about it.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:59 PM   #8

Just looked at my inverter it has a Jan 2022 date code so its been replaced my Roadtrek is a 2015
Old 04-02-2024, 05:14 AM   #9
Platinum Member

The inverter won’t work properly tied to failing or low voltage batteries. Solve that problem first.

Just an opinion.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:12 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
The inverter won’t work properly tied to failing or low voltage batteries. Solve that problem first.

Just an opinion.

Good point as that is likely if the batteries are truly dead like it appears.

Many inverter/chargers will start to charge in float mode, or at least activate, if you plug in while the engine is running and holding the voltage up, so that would be worth giving a try.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:06 PM   #11

Did your van come with 4 AGMs originally or is it converted from Ecotreks?
Moto vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 04:42 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto vita View Post
Did your van come with 4 AGMs originally or is it converted from Ecotreks?

The 2015 brochure on their site is showing 2AGMs standard and 4AGM optional. No mention of Ecotrek. I am not sure when they became available.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:17 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Just a quick note. I am not sure how a shunt based monitor would give you any better information than you have. I would get each battery checked to make sure they are all actually taking and holding a full charge. If they check out, then the problem is likely with your inverter. In that case, its seems that the only real options you have are either replace it or get it fixed. Its possible it is just the fan and the inverter is overheating.

Given that you have had no problems before this while using the van pretty heavily, something has changed. That may seem obvious, but it would likely rule out any changes made before you bought it as the direct source of your current problem. That doesn't mean you don't have a bad battery or inverter.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:12 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
Just a quick note. I am not sure how a shunt based monitor would give you any better information than you have. I would get each battery checked to make sure they are all actually taking and holding a full charge. If they check out, then the problem is likely with your inverter. In that case, its seems that the only real options you have are either replace it or get it fixed. Its possible it is just the fan and the inverter is overheating.

Given that you have had no problems before this while using the van pretty heavily, something has changed. That may seem obvious, but it would likely rule out any changes made before you bought it as the direct source of your current problem. That doesn't mean you don't have a bad battery or inverter.

A battery monitor would have likely identified that there was a problem in real time as he would been able to see what was going in and out of the batteries themselves. Now the only benefit would be seeing what is going into them as they appear dead.

They were stated as 4 AGM batteries and could run lights and fans for 12-15 hours. If that is all the time they would run them, the batteries were very bad then or not charged much at all.

Of course the batteries need to be all checked out at this point, by a capacity test, not a current draw test, but only after being fully charged.

Now is the time to fine out if the charger is actually working before replacing any batteries. At this point, probably all charging systems need to be confirmed as working. The unit has only been with the OP a couple of months so the condition as purchased is mostly unknown, I fear, in the charging areas.

AGMS take many hours to charge, with 8+ hours not unusual and if a big bank and low charge current it can be quite a bit more.

One big problem with a lot of systems in RVs is that the idiot lights just show a full light by voltage so the batteries can be very low but it the charging is running the light will show full and the users shut the charger off or unplug, leaving mostly empty batteries.