Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2022, 08:58 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Lets Talk Solar

I have a '97 Roadtrek Popular 190. Currently, I have 2 100 amp hour Renergy LiFePo4 batteries, being charged either by a Renergy 40 B to B charger or by shore power.
My wife and I usually drive enough daily to keep the batteries charged but we have a trip coming up where we won't be doing so much driving and no shore power and would like to be able to top up the batteries so I'm looking at solar.

We have basically two systems 1) permanently mounted to the roof 2) portable "suitcase" both have advantages with a permanently mounted system we also have two choices ridged and flexible.

If I go permanently mounted I'm leaning towards flexible to conform to the curved roof and reduce drag.

I like the idea of the suitcase but if we are parked we are probably off on a hike or some such thing and worry about the pannels also hiking off. Also, there is not a lot of storage space in a Roadtrek. But not having to park in the sun also has its benefits.

Please tell me the good and bad of all the options.
Thanks