Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2020, 05:30 AM   #1
New Member
 
roadbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Oregon
Posts: 16
Question Onan external fuel pump

Trying to get the controlled dc power out of the box to the external pump without dropping the genset, this in a 2008 210 Popular w/ 2.8 KVFA26100K.
Any magic tricks for this? thanks
__________________

roadbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 835
Default

You might be able to get to that lead on the left side of the generator but a better solution is to learn how to drop it. Put in a junction box for the AC lead. You will have to drop it eventually anyway, may as well learn how to do it now. Just an opinion.
__________________

hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 159
Default

Use a hole cutter large enough to get your hand through the hole to access the wires. Make a plate to cover the hole when done. The cover is fiberglass, so wear a mask.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:26 AM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 835
Default

There is a detailed thread on this forum explaining the steps necessary but I don’t have the bandwidth to search for it. First step is to remove all grounds from the coach battery. The AC line goes through the floor and must be removed from the transfer switch. It is not convenient to remove it from the generator. You will need Torx bits to remove the generator from the brackets and those bolts may fail due to rust. Have fun and search for all related threads.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 318
Default

I too have a 2008C210P and have a related question. Not knowing the construction of the pump, or its operating principle, would putting a second pump mounted outside flow through the internal pump should it fail?
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
I too have a 2008C210P and have a related question. Not knowing the construction of the pump, or its operating principle, would putting a second pump mounted outside flow through the internal pump should it fail?
Dunno. I can tell you that you cannot blow through an Onan fuel pump. Just tried it. That doesn’t mean 4psi won’t open it up but it probably won’t
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5
Default Onan 2800 fuel pump replace

Thanks for this thread. I hope to replace the pump on our 2006 Popular 210 in the next week. I have the pump, filter and a valve to put in line from the gas tank. I have two long 45 degree pliers, essential to reach in to squeeze on the hose clamps that should be delivered today or tomorrow (or monday).

Also, I will change air filter. I almost decided on replacing the carb ($59). But the signs seem to point to the fuel pump.

I expect do to the work without dropping the generator. The plan is to back up onto my ramps. These have a max weight load of 3,000 lbs each. I need to get the rear axle weight before I try using them. If not, I will make a ramp from two by eight lumber, stacked.

Thanks for the note on disconnecting all batteries, to be safe. And, of course, make sure LP is tightly "off". And I'll remove the exhaust pipe, to make the area more friendly.

There is a video on Youtube that inspires me
Wonderi39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #8
New Member
 
roadbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Oregon
Posts: 16
Default

Just finished my external pump project. I dropped the genset maybe 8" with a floor jack, fought the cover up, grabbed the DC line to the internal pump, and extended it and the fuel line to aft of the genset where I put the filter / pump / fuel select valving. I found a feedthru rt angle bulkhead fitting for 1/4" and used this to get back into the genset.
Raising the cover was difficult. It has been suggested that cutting an access port in the cover would be easier, leaving the cover in place. I think this is better than what I did. Be careful, don't overcut.... I used a Dremel and a good air filter on my snout.
The RT is heavy, perhaps 9,000# total, guessing 3k rated ramps marginal. A good floor creeper essential as well. Safety first.
I put the fuel selecto on the WRONG side of the pump. Don't do that! Also Airtex E11007 has and angled output tube; for this app, a straight tube would be better.
Thanks to all the contributors on these Forums, you are an invaluable resource. Cheers

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/a...1&d=1593796588
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump-&-valve-1.jpg (21.5 KB, 26 views)
roadbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker1 View Post
Just finished my external pump project. I dropped the genset maybe 8" with a floor jack, fought the cover up, grabbed the DC line to the internal pump, and extended it and the fuel line to aft of the genset where I put the filter / pump / fuel select valving. I found a feedthru rt angle bulkhead fitting for 1/4" and used this to get back into the genset.
Raising the cover was difficult. It has been suggested that cutting an access port in the cover would be easier, leaving the cover in place. I think this is better than what I did. Be careful, don't overcut.... I used a Dremel and a good air filter on my snout.
The RT is heavy, perhaps 9,000# total, guessing 3k rated ramps marginal. A good floor creeper essential as well. Safety first.
I put the fuel selecto on the WRONG side of the pump. Don't do that! Also Airtex E11007 has and angled output tube; for this app, a straight tube would be better.
Thanks to all the contributors on these Forums, you are an invaluable resource. Cheers

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/a...1&d=1593796588
Nice job. Now that you're an expert, come do mine.

My generator has suddenly started working great for the first time in the 2-1/2 years since I've owned it. But, as you found out, it's hard to access most things and I'm sure I find out first-hand some day.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 159
Default

For information, the weight on the rear of my 05 210 RT with empty water tanks was 5860 lbs.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:20 AM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5
Default

This not be the right place but you all sure know a lot about the Onan generator! I have a question . . . while the generator is running I hear a clicking behind the generator start switch, near my fuse panel in my 2006 Road Popular 210. I am new to Roadtrek and generators - but the sound seems unexpected. The microwave runs, the coffee maker runs. (until the generator quits at about 7 minutes - fuel pump issue). What should I make of the clicking sound. thank you
Wonderi39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:24 AM   #12
Platinum Member
 
eric1514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ID AZ
Posts: 686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderi39 View Post
This not be the right place but you all sure know a lot about the Onan generator! I have a question . . . while the generator is running I hear a clicking behind the generator start switch, near my fuse panel in my 2006 Road Popular 210. I am new to Roadtrek and generators - but the sound seems unexpected. The microwave runs, the coffee maker runs. (until the generator quits at about 7 minutes - fuel pump issue). What should I make of the clicking sound. thank you
It could be the clock keeping track how many hours the generator has run.
__________________
2006 Dynamax Isata 250 Touring Sedan

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 318
Default

I have also investigated moving the pump outboard. On my generator it would be absolutely impossible to reach the pump from the rear and I have no desire to drop the unit. As was suggested in a later post I intend to cut a hole in the case, either with a Dremel or using a hole saw, taking care to avoid damaging the internal parts and inviting a lot of grief. I would leave the old pump in place, fish the 12 volt wire out and run a new fuel line into the carburettor.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 318
Default

It is the hour meter.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #15
New Member
 
roadbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Oregon
Posts: 16
Default

Hiya... I think you'll have to lower the unit maybe 8" to clear the steel hangers and access the fiberglass cover. You may need to disconnect the fuel line and the remote start cable but the DC to the starter motor and the AC to the coach probably have enuff slack. I used a Dremel with a small wheel ( and a good face filter ) to cut in the wrong place. I brought the pump's DC lline out thru the front of the unit thru a grommet to a terminal strip. Cheers
roadbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #16
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 318
Default

The power line is all I really need: feed to the pump is already outside the enclosure and it would be simple to run a new fuel line to the carb. I would abandon the old fuel line and pump in place.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:33 AM   #17
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 835
Default

Just an opinion but you are 90% there. Detach the AC line and DC line, pull the generator out from under the coach and do the job right. A good learning exercise for a job that will eventually have to be done.
__________________

hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×