Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindt View Post
Phoebe3
Just saw your post. Did you install the Onan resonator or something else? Do you feel you had a significant noise reduction? Did you measure dB before also? Onan claims only a 1 dB reduction but You Tube video I saw sounded like more.
I did not test before installing the resonator and I used a NIOSH app on my iPhone to perform the test so the readings might not be very accurate. To my ears, I'd say it cut the volume by about 20%. Additionally, the tone was lower so somewhat less irritating.

The resonator/muffler came from Amazon (Cummins Power Generation 155-2449). The cost was about $46 and we paid a welder to put it on so total came to less than $100. Negative Amazon reviews seem to stem from folks who used the slip-together technique rather than welding.

10 Feet away = Onan 65 db; Van engine 62 db

50 feet away = Onan 51 db; Van engine 48 db

Recorded 12/2017 after putting resonator on. Readings taken from passenger side. Onan exhausts from driver’s side but our neighbor's house is there so I couldn't get a reading.

We are considering adding another one or a baffle on the end of the generator tailpipe. Would be great if it was no louder than the van engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator Muffler 1.jpg (237.8 KB, 20 views)