Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #81
Platinum Member

I don't think Voltstart should be seen as a solution to avoiding an Ecotrek module shutdown.

Others may disagree.

My thinking is that I would not want the van engine starting automatically at any hour day or night.

You might be parked really close to other campers or the van might be in your garage or in a ferry. In other words, there are times when the Volstart switch will be turned off. The Ecotrek modules need to be able to work whether you have Voltstart or not.

There are park rules to consider also: British Columbia parks for example:

Quote:
Does BC Parks have a policy on vehicle idling?
BC Parks has an Idle Free policy in provincial parks that applies to both vehicles and boats moored within the boundaries of a protected area.
and

Quote:
Are generators allowed in provincial parks?
Generator use is permitted between the hours of 9a.m. – 11a.m. and from 6p.m. – 8p.m. This policy was created to help reduce air pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, fuel consumption and noise levels.
Idling during permitted generator hours might work. You'll probably have to explain to park rangers and your camping neighbors that your van engine is your generator.

Has anyone confirmed that the amp hour ratings on the Ecotrek modules are at 12 volts? The 1600 ah rating of the E-trek was only at 6 volts. That made it only 800 ah at 12 volts.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #82
Platinum Member

ecotrek batteries are 12 volt(actually 12.8. how they are listed is correct
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #83
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
ecotrek batteries are 12 volt(actually 12.8. how they are listed is correct
Is it in print somewhere? I'd like to post a copy here.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #84
Platinum Member

From an older pdf (65 lb modules):

65lb_module.JPG

sure looks like 4 x 3.2v cells in series

ecotrek module.JPG

You can see why it would be time consuming checking all that wiring and crimp connections if troubleshooting a problem.

Have the modules changed? A newer pdf says 80 lb modules.

80lbs_per_module.JPG
Old 10-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #85
Platinum Member

I have to agree with Marko on the Voltstart just not being a fix all for hitting the battery cutoff, as that really isn't the purpose it was designed for I think. Pets, some rapid recovery of batteries is you are running low (when in an appropriate place and and tme) etc are some of the things is for IMO.

I think folks have to realize that there still is the need to monitor what condition you batteries are in, and chose appropriate action, or inaction. Roadtrek makes this difficult in many cases as they don't have monitors to tell what is going on, many times with just the pretty useless panel lights. I would hope that Roadtrek does not tell folks to leave the Voltstart on all the time and not worry about the batteries' SOC or usage.

The big thing is that the batteries going into low voltage cutout should not be a big deal. As soon as there is a charge source it should start charging. When your cordless drill quits running because the lithium battery is too low, you don't have to call the factory to get it to work again, you just put it in the charger (unless it is too hot but then it just delays the charge cycle till cool). Roadtreks should do the same thing. A warning message of some sort when you are within "X" amount of running out would be appropriate, though, so you can chose the time and place to recharge more easily.

Interesting in the older literature Marko shows about using the lithium in "tandem" with AGM batteries. We haven't heard much about that setup for quite a while, and I still don't understand how they can make it work unless it is two complete banks and systems that switch back and forth. From what we heard early on it was not that way and just parallel batteries.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #86
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Attachment 2868

You can see why it would be time consuming checking all that wiring and crimp connections if troubleshooting a problem.

Have the modules changed? A newer pdf says 80 lb modules.

Attachment 2870
That is exactly how the battery pulled out my rig looked... when we were changing it to AGMs. It was the ECO 200.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #87
Platinum Member

A working Ecotrek unit

https://www.facebook.com/groups/road...3811851111132/

Partial quote for the benefit of anyone not using facebook:

Quote:
I just want to report in after lurking for so long. I picked up our new Etrek XL with Voltstart and 800 lithiums and 470 solar last Friday. That is one sweet Vehicle. After RT helped me correct a little owner error everything is working perfectly.
gerrym51 had previously mentioned a report of this ecotrek working so this would indicate it is still working almost a week later.

I hope the main problems are a thing of the past so that we can move on to things like owner reports on performance.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #88
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
A working Ecotrek unit

https://www.facebook.com/groups/road...3811851111132/

Partial quote for the benefit of anyone not using facebook:

gerrym51 had previously mentioned a report of this ecotrek working so this would indicate it is still working almost a week later.

I hope the main problems are a thing of the past so that we can move on to things like owner reports on performance.

the good-it appears to be working perfectly-the bad-it's the only one out of 7 that i know about
Old 10-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #89
Platinum Member

It would be nice to know how many nights off grid he has spent in the unit during his testing.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #90
Platinum Member

Yes, he needs to get past the 10 day threshold for us to know it's really working.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #91
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Yes, he needs to get past the 10 day threshold for us to know it's really working.
Now that's sad.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #92
Platinum Member

I feel so... important... as the one who created the 10 day threshold by never getting beyond it in two tries.

I love my AGMs... and my solar that keeps them at full charge even in the shade. I just hope that they get these lithiums to be able to do the same. (this is parked in the driveway BTW... it is being daily driver at the moment.)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #93
Platinum Member

i'm pretty sure he has not allowed himself into a situation were voltrek is not on.

i don't think he's gone overnight without voltrek on. i don't know what would happen if he did not have it on
Old 11-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #94
Platinum Member

Just updating this topic with gregmchugh's post: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post35797

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Not relevant to this exactly but in an effort to get some of the 24v lithium battery Etreks working Roadtrek has removed the 12v tap that supplies the 12v loads and replaced it with a 24v to 12v DC converter. Not sure that helped getting them working in any cases or what configuration they are now delivering with the 24v lithium sysytems.
Progress on the ecotreks
Old 11-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #95
Platinum Member

If you read what I said, I indicated that the switch to the 24v to 12v converter had been tried in an attempt to fix one of the 24v Ecotrek systems but in the case of that van it was never fixed and the owner returned it for a full refund. Whether they have switched to the use of the converter for newer vans is possible but not confirmed. I want to make it clear that the switch to the converter on the 24v Ecotreks may not fix anything at least it did not in at least the case where details are known. Should have been more clear in the other post and will edit it to make it clear.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #96
Platinum Member

It's good that you clarified that.

So, no progress that we know of yet I guess
Old 11-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #97
Platinum Member

Not really clear yet, there are reports that the latest delivered Ecotreks in the smaller 12v configurations have a new controller board and relay described as the fix implemented by Roadtrek to the initial problems. No long term results on these latest deliveries obviously.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #98
Platinum Member

nobody posting and complaining.

the last 5 ecotreks i know of seem to be working fine

i do not know if the one's that were not working have been fixed
Old 11-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #99
Platinum Member

There are 24v Ecotreks? I thought those were E-Treks... with AGMs. There was one attempt to get a problem filled E-Trek working by adding lithiums, but that didn't work out and RT gave them a new rig. It's the standard E-Trek with AGMs. (this is all getting very confusing).

I noticed that the man that reported the smoking lithium batteries and inverter issues never reported back. I suspect that RT is pushing those with problems to NOT post about them.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 11-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #100
Platinum Member

The recent van that was not finally delivered and the owner refunded was a 1600 amp hour Ecotrek and these are configured as 24v systems. I believe that the 800 amp hour Ecotreks may also configured as 24v systems but I have not seen a confirmation of that.

My understanding that there are Etrek vans that can be AGM or Lithium and there are other vans that can have the Etrek option added with AGM or Lithium. At least that seems to be the way the options are setup on the Roadtrek website.