Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-30-2023, 02:28 AM   #1
Platinum Member
 
THEBRAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 180
Default small dash board solar trickal charger 5watt is plenty right

small dash board solar trickal charger 5watt is plenty right
been using this since upsidedown world for the boat house battery w/ excellent results.it's 5watts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I like this bc of the charge controller. Itís also 5watts, so 5watts to use as a trickle charger is plently right? Like why do they offer these basicely none chargers up to 20 watts, is that to just pad the bill? or or there another spec I'm overlooking?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5HDAPDC75&th=1

priority of both chargers is to keep a unused battery topped off while vehical is unused.

thanks for small solar trickle charger advice
__________________
05 Pleasureway Lexor RD on 04 Chevy 3500 6 litre engine. new tow vehicle for my 24' Ocean cruiser.
THEBRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:46 AM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 1,569
Default

Probably not enough power. It will just run your battery down. You can try it but I would not. Between it getting dark and not always getting direct sun it cannot stay ahead of it’s own power drain let alone a modern car’s parasitic draw.

Put a 100 watt panel on the roof with a charge controller and you have a chance. Yes, I learned it the hard way.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:03 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
THEBRAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Probably not enough power. It will just run your battery down. You can try it but I would not. Between it getting dark and not always getting direct sun it cannot stay ahead of itís own power drain let alone a modern carís parasitic draw.

Put a 100 watt panel on the roof with a charge controller and you have a chance. Yes, I learned it the hard way.
what the hell is going on here!

did you even read my question?

do you even know what a trickle charger is used for dam.
__________________
05 Pleasureway Lexor RD on 04 Chevy 3500 6 litre engine. new tow vehicle for my 24' Ocean cruiser.
THEBRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
what the hell is going on here!

did you even read my question?

do you even know what a trickle charger is used for dam.

He explained that trickle solar chargers don't trickle anything at night, and they don't much when it is cloudy, rainy, or in the shade. At that point you have to add up the parasitic drain of the vehicle/coach, wherever the charger is, for the whole day and compare it to what the total daily average is for the solar output. It will very likely be closer to 1/3 or less of what you think it is if you are taking 5 whats for 24 hours every day.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:22 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
THEBRAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
He explained that trickle solar chargers don't trickle anything at night, and they don't much when it is cloudy, rainy, or in the shade. At that point you have to add up the parasitic drain of the vehicle/coach, wherever the charger is, for the whole day and compare it to what the total daily average is for the solar output. It will very likely be closer to 1/3 or less of what you think it is if you are taking 5 whats for 24 hours every day.
the Guy obvisiouly didn't read the question a 100watt panel to trickel charge dam.

the 1st one I link to my first solar tricakl charger kept/maintained my boats house battery at 12.2vdc for 3 years of none use.

I seriously doubt the charge builtin charg controller would drain the battery just bogus jibberrase. I was gonna step up to 7.5 or 10 watts but decided 5watts was plently this from someone just asking bc solar is new to me.

also I have the panel aimed south/west so I get a full days sunlight.
btw these little chargers charge on cloudy days just a tad less. proballey don't charge much in shade.

I don't concider either my 04 RV van or my 03 savana conversion to be modern vehicals that have parasitic draws. like that dam 08 V8 trailblazor has.away rant over.

amazon never shipped my roof rack so I'm on hold for extreia big solar panels.
__________________
05 Pleasureway Lexor RD on 04 Chevy 3500 6 litre engine. new tow vehicle for my 24' Ocean cruiser.
THEBRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:46 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
the Guy obvisiouly didn't read the question a 100watt panel to trickel charge dam.

the 1st one I link to my first solar tricakl charger kept/maintained my boats house battery at 12.2vdc for 3 years of none use.

I seriously doubt the charge builtin charg controller would drain the battery just bogus jibberrase. I was gonna step up to 7.5 or 10 watts but decided 5watts was plently this from someone just asking bc solar is new to me.

also I have the panel aimed south/west so I get a full days sunlight.
btw these little chargers charge on cloudy days just a tad less. proballey don't charge much in shade.

I don't concider either my 04 RV van or my 03 savana conversion to be modern vehicals that have parasitic draws. like that dam 08 V8 trailblazor has.away rant over.

amazon never shipped my roof rack so I'm on hold for extreia big solar panels.

The Chevies of that era, we have one, will use between .04 and .07 amps for the parasitic if all is factory and in good shape. Many use more than that from addons, though. Then you you have to add on what the maintaining amps of the wet cell starter battery are and that can vary a lot from maybe .1 or less to .3 amps for a good battery to even more than that. Our coach will use about .4 to .5 amps if the 12v power is on so the detectors and any other monitors are using power and it drops to .1 to .2 with the 12v off. If the batteries are disconnected it goes to about half of that as long as the solar is disconnected from the batteries also.


In a boat, you may have been with the batteries totally disconnected? How many and what type? Are you going to disconnect the starter and coach battery to do this?


There is a lot more to this than "it worked on X so it will work on Y", IMO.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:17 PM   #7
otr
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Vermont
Posts: 80
Default

Really interesting post, my 2000 RT 190v went for the entire winter in a barn in VT with a full charge on the engine battery, I use a quick disconnect, so the battery was disconnected from the van, started as soon as I turned the key yeah!
Probably would be worth having something like this just to keep the battery happier over the off season!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:31 PM   #8
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by otr View Post
Really interesting post, my 2000 RT 190v went for the entire winter in a barn in VT with a full charge on the engine battery, I use a quick disconnect, so the battery was disconnected from the van, started as soon as I turned the key yeah!
Probably would be worth having something like this just to keep the battery happier over the off season!
Yes.
A complete battery disconnect will keep a fully-charged, healthy battery adequately charged for many months. This is often a better choice than screwing around with a trickle charger.
__________________
Now: 2022 Fully-custom buildout (Ford Transit EcoBoost AWD)
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:07 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tinley Park IL
Posts: 325
Default

My dash charger works great. I have an anti-rodent device hooked up to the chassis battery and my 7.5 watt has not failed me. You need a live cigarette lighter to plug into. 08 Chec=vy PW Lexor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV solar trickle 7.5watt.jpg (46.6 KB, 6 views)
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 04:18 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
THEBRAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
My dash charger works great. I have an anti-rodent device hooked up to the chassis battery and my 7.5 watt has not failed me. You need a live cigarette lighter to plug into. 08 Chec=vy PW Lexor
hey Tom that the same visor solar charger I have, the prerimeters cloth has completely deteriorated but it still works. the new charger is built much more durable no cloth.

yes both my vans the 1500 an the 3500 have live cigarette lighter circuits, if they didn't I'd make one.

pls post up the rodent device you have. are you using the rodent device bc your van stays parked most of the time?
thought about stepping up from 5 amps to higher maybe 7.5amps went w/ 5amp again.
thanks
__________________
05 Pleasureway Lexor RD on 04 Chevy 3500 6 litre engine. new tow vehicle for my 24' Ocean cruiser.
THEBRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 04:40 PM   #11
Platinum Member
 
THEBRAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The Chevies of that era, we have one, will use between .04 and .07 amps for the parasitic if all is factory and in good shape. Many use more than that from addons, though. Then you you have to add on what the maintaining amps of the wet cell starter battery are and that can vary a lot from maybe .1 or less to .3 amps for a good battery to even more than that. Our coach will use about .4 to .5 amps if the 12v power is on so the detectors and any other monitors are using power and it drops to .1 to .2 with the 12v off. If the batteries are disconnected it goes to about half of that as long as the solar is disconnected from the batteries also.


In a boat, you may have been with the batteries totally disconnected? How many and what type? Are you going to disconnect the starter and coach battery to do this?


There is a lot more to this than "it worked on X so it will work on Y", IMO.
usaly I do dissconect the 1500s battery but now am getting lazy an just connecting the trickle charger.
I've never done a parasitic draw test on either van. probably should have bc since the 03 1500 basicely sits (undriven since I got the RV) it drained down to 10vdc. so I'm cranking her an rolling the tires to differnt position (prevent flat spots) more often.
really like the idea of the trickle charger, wish I had a 3rd trickle charger for the riding lawn mower, I'm now having to charge before I can crank the mower dam.

yes you correct the boats battery (interstate lead acid group27 deep cycle I use as start battery I don't need a marie start battery) stays unconnected. boat doesn't have house batt. yet sorting out the isolator/separator method
plus I'm leary of lead acid batterys w/ there associated fumes inside the cabin. thanks
__________________
05 Pleasureway Lexor RD on 04 Chevy 3500 6 litre engine. new tow vehicle for my 24' Ocean cruiser.
THEBRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:34 PM   #12
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tinley Park IL
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
hey Tom that the same visor solar charger I have, the prerimeters cloth has completely deteriorated but it still works. the new charger is built much more durable no cloth.

yes both my vans the 1500 an the 3500 have live cigarette lighter circuits, if they didn't I'd make one.

pls post up the rodent device you have. are you using the rodent device bc your van stays parked most of the time?
thought about stepping up from 5 amps to higher maybe 7.5amps went w/ 5amp again.
thanks
Here you go. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rv rodent flashing hook up.jpg (82.3 KB, 4 views)
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:03 AM   #13
Platinum Member
 
THEBRAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 180
Default

finally got around to connecting the new solar trickle charger up to RV.
connected to the live ciggarette lighter socket. I'm not liking the red LED indicater that says it's on concerned a LED could drain the battery.manufactor says the reverse diode prevents draining but thats part of the charge controller not the on/off indicater.or I maybe wrong.

I will insert a multimeter in the circuit to see if I'm getting the 22amps.

I may just disconnect this LED to prevent any drain however small it is.it can't be much more than the burglar alarm built into the radio.

considering a 555 IC chip and making a fake burglar alarm blinking LED mounted to top of dash, to keep scum bags away.
could also add resistanse to lower power draw.
what do you guys think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solar trickle chargers led drains batery.jpg (120.8 KB, 6 views)
__________________
05 Pleasureway Lexor RD on 04 Chevy 3500 6 litre engine. new tow vehicle for my 24' Ocean cruiser.
THEBRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 12:11 AM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tinley Park IL
Posts: 325
Default

[QUOTE=THEBRAIN;147983]finally got around to connecting the new solar trickle charger up to RV.
connected to the live ciggarette lighter socket. I'm not liking the red LED indicater that says it's on concerned a LED could drain the battery

It won't drain it. It's only on when charging, and that light is lit from the solar. Unplug it during the day and you'll see what I mean. Regarding the fake camera. I've had one for years. It has a little solar panel on the top that recharges the battery. Got it on Amazon
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 01:46 AM   #15
Platinum Member
 
THEBRAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 180
Default

[QUOTE=ChicagoTom;148041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
finally got around to connecting the new solar trickle charger up to RV.
connected to the live ciggarette lighter socket. I'm not liking the red LED indicater that says it's on concerned a LED could drain the battery

It won't drain it. It's only on when charging, and that light is lit from the solar. Unplug it during the day and you'll see what I mean. Regarding the fake camera. I've had one for years. It has a little solar panel on the top that recharges the battery. Got it on Amazon
no Tom thats a negatory the red light is always on even at pitch black night time it indicates the charger is plugged in.

remember this is the new solar charger not the old visor charger like yours which doesn't have a red LED to indicate plugged in.

I do have a street light at end of driveway about 50' away.
I doubt the moonlight will charge. but the red LED was extremely bright.

on the back is the charge controller it has a tiny green Led that indicates either charging or not.

not sure what fake camera your referring to?
__________________
05 Pleasureway Lexor RD on 04 Chevy 3500 6 litre engine. new tow vehicle for my 24' Ocean cruiser.
THEBRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 02:58 AM   #16
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tinley Park IL
Posts: 325
Default

[QUOTE=THEBRAIN;148045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
no Tom thats a negatory the red light is always on even at pitch black night time it indicates the charger is plugged in.

remember this is the new solar charger not the old visor charger like yours which doesn't have a red LED to indicate plugged in.

I do have a street light at end of driveway about 50' away.
I doubt the moonlight will charge. but the red LED was extremely bright.

on the back is the charge controller it has a tiny green Led that indicates either charging or not.

not sure what fake camera your referring to?
I see, yes mine goes out at night, but I still think you're worrying about nothing. Regarding the fake camera, I thought you were asking about it. I have one. No worries
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.