Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default what is the best inverter that uses the least power?

i see different inverters and was wondering what is the best as far as using the least power and drawing the least amps and cost wise .
for example i see this Thor one advertised . does this actually draw less amps then others ? and is it a good brand in the long run? or what's better?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thor-1500-Watt- ... 3a632b14b3
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: what is the best inverter that uses the least power?

Avoid that one. It is very overpriced. IMO
There is no magic with inverters.

Watts are amps multiplied by volts.
1000 watt microwave oven divided by 12 volts = 83 amp hrs from your batteries
add 10% or so for the inverter inefficiency and you are at approx 90 amp hr per 1000 watts on a 12v system

6 years ago I put a new 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter in my Roadtrek. On eBay, it cost me $75.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=33&p=37&hilit=2000#p37
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
Gold Member

thanks markopolo , i guess more what i was wondering was which one drws the least amps idle time . also that was probably a rare buy you made on e bay at that price. the thor inverter is on sale in heartland catalog for 139.00 with free shipping but didn't know about the brand if its any good or not ? also is the pure sin brand better then the thor brand ?? the thor is pure sin inverter to .
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

At $139.00 + free shipping I think it is an OK deal if it is for a 1500 watt or maybe 2000 watt inverter.

There basically two types of inverters:
Modified Sine Wave - cost less,
Pure Sine Wave - cost more, better for electronic items and microwave ovens etc.

I'd choose the Pure Sine Wave type if the cost difference isn't too bad.

I don't know the Thor brand but based on looking at their website and the info they provide and owner manual downloads etc. I would buy one.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The same Thor 1500 for $249 on eBay is available at online retailers in the $160 price range
http://www.summit-equipment-outlet.com/ ... -watt.html
http://www.directdepot.net/product_info ... s_id=35302

Looks like the price at Heartland is the best. That inverter has some nice features like the USB power port and the meter that shows you watts and volts.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Modified Sine Wave - cost less,
Pure Sine Wave - cost more, better for electronic items and microwave ovens etc.
Just braining through things here, but seems to me that heaters and motors would be fine with the MSW, but things with transformers in them, i.e. older microwaves, VCRs etc, might be a bit down on voltage because of more heat generation in the transformer, whereas newer stuff with it's own inverter PSU in, will tend to cope with anything vaguely AC-ish. I guess a hint is to read the sticker or box, if it says something like 90-240V 50-60HZ then it probably copes pretty well, but if it is more narrow, say 110-115V 60Hz then it might not be so happy with it.

Other than that I think you'd see most problems when the internal PSU of the device is "strained", i.e. when you've got it in maximum consumption mode. For a TV for example, this might be when you have the volume and brightness maxed.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote