Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2024, 07:40 PM   #1

Lightbulb Who knows lights? LED > halogen

2004/5 RT Chevy 3500 Express.
When I purchased my RT a few years back the headlight housings had been replaced with darkened (fogged?) versions and still had the original halogen headlights. The lights were not very bright, probably unsafe, so I replaced the lights with LED lights with 3 times the lumens (44,000L). Not much improvement. So I replaced the housings with the clear version. It’s better, safer but I would like better.
Is there a problem with converting halogen to LED headlights? Do LED lumens equate to halogen lumens? There is a newer LED version with 66,000L.
Another question I have is: Do the LED headlights focus properly when used in a housing designed for halogen bulbs? Does it matter?

2. I like LED lights because they do not burn out very often.
When one of my front turn signals burnt out, I bought replacement LEDs. When a turn signal burns out the dash indicator blinks quickly to let you know one has burnt out. But when I replaced the bad light with a new LED the dash indicator still blinks quickly as if a light is out. It’s OK. I replaced the other front turn signal with an LED and the same result. It was blinking slowly/OK; now it also blinks quickly. I believe the vehicle's flasher controls the blinking and wonder if the flasher’s sensor cannot sense a functional LED. If so, is there a replacement flasher that works with LEDs? I can use as is but not sure if the flasher will detect a broken LED and...
UncleMeat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMeat48 View Post
When I purchased my RT a few years back the headlight housings had been replaced with darkened (fogged?) versions and still had the original halogen headlights. The lights were not very bright, probably unsafe, so I replaced the lights with LED lights with 3 times the lumens (44,000L). Not much improvement. So I replaced the housings with the clear version. It’s better, safer but I would like better.
Is there a problem with converting halogen to LED headlights? Do LED lumens equate to halogen lumens? There is a newer LED version with 66,000L.
Another question I have is: Do the LED headlights focus properly when used in a housing designed for halogen bulbs? Does it matter?

When one of my front turn signals burnt out, I bought replacement LEDs. When a turn signal burns out the dash indicator blinks quickly to let you know one has burnt out. But when I replaced the bad light with a new LED the dash indicator still blinks quickly as if a light is out. It’s OK. I replaced the other front turn signal with an LED and the same result. It was blinking slowly/OK; now it also blinks quickly. I believe the vehicle's flasher controls the blinking and wonder if the flasher’s sensor cannot sense a functional LED. If so, is there a replacement flasher that works with LEDs? I can use as is but not sure if the flasher will detect a broken LED and...

LEDs don't have enough electrical resistance to make the flasher work right. Some of the better LEDs have a built in resistor, other people will add a resistor to the wiring. Most systems will also work OK if you change out the flasher for an electronically timed one from the normal mechanical one. On parking and tail lights, dash lights, interior lights that don't flash you may or may not be OK but many wind up leaving one of them as an incandescent to make it work without flickering.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMeat48 View Post

Optics are critical for proper illumination. It would be best to get headlights designed for specific LED bulbs if available or get LED bulbs with LED dies geometry resembling filament from incandescent bulbs.

This one works on my 2023 Honda: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
search for LED bulbs CANBUS error free
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
LEDs don't have enough electrical resistance to make the flasher work right. Some of the better LEDs have a built in resistor, other people will add a resistor to the wiring.
Some of the LEDs used in turn/brake applications that DO NOT have a built in resistor may work OK. BUT - the brake functions normally, but flashers do a "quick flash" like one of the bulbs is burned out. My experience with an earlier version.

Worthwhile to do the research.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 03:53 PM   #5

Default Led lights on chevy express

Go to Headlight Revolution online.

In my Honda CRV I put the GTR Ultra 11 headlights in for my low beams.

Incredible difference!

They focus well and do not blind other drivers.

These are high quality LED Headlights, so they are expensive and they are guaranteed for life!

You get what you pay for in this instance!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:14 PM   #6

I was dissatisfied with slightly faded headlights on my 05 C190P, and when a mounting tab cracked, I pulled the plug and bought some Amazon stock replacements. Was - okay, but not really happy enough for night driving in northern Ontario watching out for deer and moose.
So I dug out some old halogen auxiliary lights I had from decades ago in the garage, put them on a bull bar and installed with appropriate switches/relays on the 190. Upper lights are distance lights, bottoms are fogs. Took a bit of work but overall better now.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...mALnaz0wKoRPQi
Jfstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:35 AM   #7
Silver Member

Being that you are in AZ, this may not matter, but LED's don't generate much heat from the bulb, so that if you are driving in freezing, wet weather, the headlights are likely to ice over.

From experience, if you are going to convert to LED headlamps, do an entire switch out of the headlight assembly, just don't change the bulbs. I've done this on motorcycles and while the LED was bright, visibility at night was actually worse than the halogen.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halogen, led, lumen