Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How to save/bookmark a thread?

There's a lot of valuable information on this forum, but sometimes there is a thread that I think would be very useful to return to later. I may not remember the keywords or perhaps the keyword that I might use would be so generic that I would have a hard time coming back to the particular thread I'd like to reference.

Is there a way to bookmark or save particular threads?
Old 11-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Right above the first post in the thread is a link labeled "Thread Tools". Click that and select "Subscribe to this thread".

Then to see your subscribed threads, go to "Quick Links" on the top nav bar, and select "Subscribed Threads" near the bottom.
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks! With emojis to make it long enough to post...
Old 11-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
Platinum Member

If I limited my bookmarking efforts to thread subscription on some forums, I'd still never find anything. For instance, my husband's lithium installation thread on Air Forums has more than 500 replies. I need to be able to access useful info that people have posted IN that thread, without going on a 500 post search-a-thon. So I do things like the following:

-- If the info is really valuable, I copy it and compile it in an off-forum reference document. This can become handy later on whenever someone posts the question, "Do you remember when so-and-so posted his/her procedure? How do I find it now?"

-- Similarly, sometimes I copy permalinks (direct URLs to specific posts) to documents.

-- If I just want to find my way back to a specific thread, sometimes I'll insert a relevant hashtag, or an intentionally mis-spelled word so that a unique search result comes up later. I make my mis-spellings obvious (e.g., double the first consonant in the obvious search term) so that I don't have to write them down.

Some people swear by Google for in-forum searching from outside of the forum space, but I find it to be hit or miss.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
Site Team

What we REALLY need is an "ignore this thread" feature (similar to "block this user", which we DO have). I like to sample every new thread, so I don't miss interesting discussions. But, may threads don't interest me, so I would kill to be able to opt out of future messages in specific threads.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, none of the major forum platforms support this relatively straightforward feature.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
What we REALLY need is an "ignore this thread" feature (similar to "block this user", which we DO have). I like to sample every new thread, so I don't miss interesting discussions. But, may threads don't interest me, so I would kill to be able to opt out of future messages in specific threads.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, none of the major forum platforms support this relatively straightforward feature.
So the "Ignore this thread" option under "Thread Tools" doesn't do what you want?
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Oooh, really want to add a comment here, but I fear the banhammer
wrightstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
So the "Ignore this thread" option under "Thread Tools" doesn't do what you want?
Oh, wow. How embarrassing. Looks like it might. My "Thread tools" is cluttered with a bunch of moderation stuff, so I never noticed that one.

Awesome. Thanks!
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Banhammer. I've learned a new word today. A catchy one.

For the undesirable phenomena that have been hinted at here, and I do NOT mean my comments in the context of Class B Forum but other unrelated forums, there is a certain amount of thread garbage that I slog through so that I can spot certain misbehaviors which I also archive for future reference, just in case I need them later.

For instance, shadow banning.

Again, I have NOT seen this on Class B Forum and I am NOT intending to be critical of any mods here (which is against forum rules).

I'm talking about OTHER forums. There's an instance in which I had assumed that I was the only user being subjected to selective deletions of topic-relevant posts that clearly did not violate forum rules. These deletions are silent - if a forum rule is genuinely broken, what typically happens is that the post is deleted AND a mod issues a warning via PM. Well, if no forum rule is broken, there's no warning that can legitimately be issued - so there's just the selective, subjective thinning of posts with the apparent hopes that the poster will not notice what's being done to them.

That behavior tends to quickly drive the best contributors off a forum. The people with skills and ideas and original content to contribute are the ones least likely to tolerate being manipulated by others. I never want to see the skilled people exit.

To my surprise, in communicating with people off-other-forums, I found out that I was not the only user being shadow banned. So I started assembling a dossier of examples just in case the practice escalates to the point where the nuclear option is called for. There's a forum rule against publicly calling out mods, but sometimes a private case for correction needs to be made, with evidence of the allegations.

The obvious rebuttal to this is "Well, if you got shadow banned, you must have been acting like a crap-poster."

Actually no. Some people are insecure and they can get jealous of posters who display technical skills that they do not have. By diluting the contributions from such users, I guess they feel better about themselves in comparison (?).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
Bronze Member

http://www.yourdictionary.com/banhammer

Enriching one's vocabulary is always a good thing!
wrightstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:33 AM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to tluna
Default tluna

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
If I limited my bookmarking efforts to thread subscription on some forums, I'd still never find anything. For instance, my husband's lithium installation thread on Air Forums has more than 500 replies. I need to be able to access useful info that people have posted IN that thread, without going on a 500 post search-a-thon. So I do things like the following:

-- If the info is really valuable, I copy it and compile it in an off-forum reference document. This can become handy later on whenever someone posts the question, "Do you remember when so-and-so posted his/her procedure? How do I find it now?"

-- Similarly, sometimes I copy permalinks (direct URLs to specific posts) to documents.

-- If I just want to find my way back to a specific thread, sometimes I'll insert a relevant hashtag, or an intentionally mis-spelled word so that a unique search result comes up later. I make my mis-spellings obvious (e.g., double the first consonant in the obvious search term) so that I don't have to write them down.

Some people swear by Google for in-forum searching from outside of the forum space, but I find it to be hit or miss.
On Mac OS I can help, take a "screen shot or copy and paste", to take a screenshot just click on command and 4 at once and your cursor will change to crosshairs just drag the crosshairs across whatever you want to copy and it will automatically copy to your desktop. .......Now all you have to do, is drag your copy from desktop to your new pages document and save it to your files.

Good luck!
tluna is offline   Reply With Quote