Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2023, 09:39 PM   #1

Default Losing the steering Dodge wobble

Greetings All,
After a multi-state many months long search I finally landed a second owner 2001 roadtrek 190 versatile. This has been my dream rig for quite some time. I am seeking advice to eliminate the very loose front end Dodge wobble and I intend to keep this vehicle until they plant me. That said, cost is not an object. I am looking for advice on a steering stabilizer and I believe a steering box bracket that is available aftermarket. I was driving a 2015 Thor freedom elite 23h so I am used to RV handling. Any guidance would be deeply appreciated because I would like to be one and done with this repair.
Waterville Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:46 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterville Florida View Post
Greetings All,
After a multi-state many months long search I finally landed a second owner 2001 roadtrek 190 versatile. This has been my dream rig for quite some time. I am seeking advice to eliminate the very loose front end Dodge wobble and I intend to keep this vehicle until they plant me. That said, cost is not an object. I am looking for advice on a steering stabilizer and I believe a steering box bracket that is available aftermarket. I was driving a 2015 Thor freedom elite 23h so I am used to RV handling. Any guidance would be deeply appreciated because I would like to be one and done with this repair.
We have a 2000 Dodge PleasureWay Lexor-TS which I think is very similar. We had our steering wheel gearbox replaced and it eliminated the play significantly.
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:53 PM   #3
Gold Member

Default Dodge steering fixes

Here are a couple of links you may find helpful. Things I learned with my 1999 Xplorer (Dodge).

I first had all bushings/ball joints replaced with the best quality available,
then I had my steering box rebuilt by Red Head Steering - https://redheadsteeringgears.com/
and added this steering box stabilizer.https://www.dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com/
I also had several alignments done until it felt right (no pulling to one side, etc.) and it now has significantly less wandering. I still have to pay close attention at all times or it will wander a bit one way or the other.

Links to rear anti-sway bars (I never got around to adding one but I think it would help):
https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...m_medium=email
https://www.etrailer.com/Anti-Sway-B...ll-description

Hope this helps
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I sold my 2000 190P a long time ago, and it never handled well. My belief is that the only solution is wheel spacers. On the 2000, at least, the rear wheels do not track directly behind the front. As a result, if the road is not perfectly flat, the wheels are on different parts of the ruts and try to move different ways. I came to this conclusion after realizing that the handling depended dramatically on the road surface. Try driving 70 mph on a perfectly flat road (usually has to be concrete). Then see the difference driving on well-worn asphalt. My conclusion was the only solution was to get the back wheels behind the front. Or to drive slower, which is the path I took until I could afford a new van.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I've had my1997 PW Dodge 3500 since 2016. I did put on the Dodge steering stabilizer and that gave some improvement. Biggest improvement in handling that I got was Bilsteins and re-arched rear leaf springs. Many swear by the spacers but I haven't tried that. Part of the issue is that Dodge had an "all-time" power steering during those years. Meaning it remained engaged at high speeds. Most current cars/vans have a power steering system in which the effect is greater at low speeds, less at high speeds. FWIW I can take my hands off the wheel on the highway and it stays going straight ahead. Factory service manual from Dodge says to take the steering box completely off the car to adjust. Labor intensive. On my PW the alignment specs are NOT the Dodge van alignment specs. Perhaps someone has the Roadtrek specs for yours. Tire inflation is important as is the air bag inflation. Raising the latter can give the van a better angle to offset the squirely front end via some weight transfer. PW says tires: 60F, 80R (although I do slightly under that on the front). Airbags at 60. My 2Cents.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:32 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Those 1990's B3500 were fitted OEM with standard Rear housing normally used for dual wheel setup. Since those Rear housing are narrower (for dual wheels), when they are mounted with single wheels you have to compensate the short length with wheel spacer and as a result your rear wheels will now have the same spacing as the front wheels, thus greatly improving the ride, and reducing wandering . This should be your first and least expensive corrective action.
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:26 AM   #7

TKS. Looking like Red Head rebuilt steering box with brace will be the way to go. Upper/lower ball joints are brand new.
TKS for getting back
Old 06-05-2023, 12:35 AM   #8

TKS. Your post follows direct to what I have learned from two other 2001 Roadtrek Versatile 190 Owners who have been in contact. I bought this unit because of the rebuilt on a lot that Seller did including a "like-new" trans build to the tune of $4,000.00. The loose Dodge steering can be overcome....just have to find the right mix. I am not giving up. I can't wait to retire my 2015 V-10 Thor Freedom Elite Class C Billboard on Wheels. Five years of fighting the wind is quite enough.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:58 AM   #9
Bronze Member

There is an adjustment screw on the steering box. Tightening that will give you a temporary fix. The fact that you have to tighten indicates wear so you will have to replace it eventually. The redbox is the best replacement.
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:18 PM   #10

Tks. Yes, Red Head keeps popping up. I have a email request into them to get the correct model #. I'll post solution when complete.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:29 PM   #11
Bronze Member

give this a look: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Dodge/19-002-01-REV-A
SQUASHMIRE is offline   Reply With Quote