Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2023, 07:25 PM   #1

Default 1998 Dodge pleasureway.

Looking for tips from the wise Dodge Pleasureway owners. Looking at a 1998 Dodge pleasureway 360v8. Anyone familiar with these units?
Dodgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 09:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I own a 1997 Dodge PleasureWay. I'd advise taking it for a highway drive and see how it handles. Some comments have included "white knuckle" driving and "sloppy wander." I believe this varies quite a bit. Steering is light because it has a kind of "all time" power steering where the full impact of PS is felt continuously (as opposed to the more common type where the power impact is felt more on the low speed end and less on high speed). My 97 handles pretty well. I can take hands off the wheel at highway speeds and it just keeps going where it's pointed. Many factors play into it. Wheel alignment, tire pressure, airbag pressure, worn steering components including worn steering box.

I'm happy with the PW. The fit on the RV side is very good. PW sources the components. Meaning Dometic fridge, Suburban water heater, etc. Those are found on many makes of RVs so not unique to PW.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:26 PM   #3

Thanks. What model and engine is your unit equipped with? How many K.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:57 PM   #4

Default 2000 and earlier Pleasureway owners and alternatives

Newbie to motorhomes/campers. Looking for advice from experienced folks that have had either early models Dodge Pleasureway or something similar for travelling. Looking at spending 25 to 30k.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Engine on my 1997 (1996 chassis mfg date) is 5.2L 8cyl. Current mileage is just over 80,000 miles. Qualifier: We bought this from my wife's dad who got it in 1998. When we bought it in 2016 it had 45k miles. Low mileage was because of medical issues. So it was unusually low miles and well taken care of. I think that he always thought he would get back out in it but at 99 yrs old decided it was best to stop driving all together.

We've traveled extensively around SW US. Have been out for long weekends and a few times for months. Engine has been a strong performer. Expected repairs to chassis in brakes and tires. I did have the rear springs re-arched and 4 Bilstein shocks. This resulted in a fairly dramatic ride change for the better. Downside to these years is that they rarely had passenger side airbags.

PleasureWay does a good job of the interior finish. Other components are subject to age/wear. Stovetop, water heater, furnace = still original with no issues. I've replaced the water fill hose which was leaking. I've removed and fixed toilet (fairly easy) as an internal hose had split. I've replaced LP tank valve and regulator. Added a house battery cutoff and battery monitor.

3-way fridge still original. I am planning on removing it and replaceing the thermostat which appears to have no effect. In moderate to cool outside temps it drops into the high 20s no matter what the setting. So the "cooling" part appears ok; just not controlled.

Your budget appears good for this vintage.

best.glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote