Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #1

Default auto tech in need of assistance

I'm an auto tech, fairly new to the industry.

I've been working on VW Eurovans for about a year now.

Today I had a customer come in with a Rialta asking for me to inspect her vehicle for a trip to canada and to fix her ignition switch.

I found several problems with the vehicle, all of which I know how to fix rather easily.

However I find myself about to start tearing out my hair tracing this electrical problem with the ignition switch.

If you put the key into the ignition everything turns on. the radio, dash, AC, etc.

This all happens without turning the key.

Also the vehicle, and accesories will not turn off until you remove the key from the ignition, regardless of the key position.

I found one connection in the bundle of wires at the fuse box that if disconnected will correct the problem. but if will aslo kill the power supply to the radio. I disconnected the radio harness to see if anything was backfeeding but it is not. the connector has two colors, is yellow to black. the wires are brown/red (same color and the key in ign signal from ign switch) and the other wire is yellow to purple/blue. this is the only connection in the wire bundle that i can see that has mismatched colors.

My question is if this is something that Winnebago has wired into the unit for camping purposes, or if anyone has experienced this problem.

I will continue to search for the solution over the weekend but it seems I will need some of God's favor to work this miracle.

dwhaley88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #2

Default auto tech in need of assistance

I have tried replacing the ignition switch since it is common failure, but this did not affect the issue

dwhaley88 is offline   Reply With Quote