Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 PM   #1

Default I've owned 10 VWs...but this is the first Rialta

There were the two Baja Bugs, the type 181, the diesel Rabbit, td Caddy, td Quantum, Jetta Mk4 TDI, two td Vanagons, a Mk1 Jetta diesel coupe, and now the Rialta.

I love it. It's a '96 in really nice shape inside and out that I got for an even 10k.

The p.o. kept scrupulous records on it and I know every time this rig has been in the shop for the last 19 years.

The 10-year-old tires look great but I've been behind the wheel in an old RV when first one of the rear duals blew out at 70mph and then one of the fronts let go 200 miles down the road. I learned my lesson. Those tires looked great too! Needless to say the new ones are on order.

The majority of my VWs have been diesel ( I love 'em!) And actually I'm in the process of building a 1.9 TDI-m engine for my '83 Jetta coupe.

So I got to thinking...the 2.5 gasser in my Rialta is quiet but gutless. Why not replace it with a 2.5 TDI ? Even pulling that great big Rialta the 2.5 would probably return an honest 27-29 mpg and that would be if I installed a bigger turbo, injectors, intercooler, etc. which would give me 200hp and 250 lbs. of torque.

Surely I can't be the only person who's ever considered this.

mammonista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #2

So I checked on Eurovan TDI 2.5 conversions and found a shop in Ontario, Canada that specializes in this particular job. He orders the engines complete from Germany along with the 5-speed VW transaxle and intercooler, ecu, wiring, harness, and intercooler. It's not cheap. But he agreed that my numbers of 200hp and 250lbs of torque is entirely feasible and in fact the engines are capable of much more dependable hp and torque. And he agreed that the 2.5 TDI and 5-speed combo in a Rialta would probably get 26-29mpg at 60-65 mph. But it's not cheap! In fact any savings in fuel economy would probably be paid back after we had circled the globe several dozen times. On the other hand a 500 mile cruising range would be nice and the cost to convert could probably be recouped if/when we ever decided to sell.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I had lot of VW too....mostly diesel .....I love them too !

mY last conversion was a 1.9 AHU in my 94 Eurovan westfalia ....with a K24 & ,216 injectors ,

I had 140 hp/275 ftpnd torque .... and this @ 30mpg with great power !

I considered converting my Rilata to TDI 1.9 too.....But I have a VR6 and I have to admit I dint use it much yet ( bought in nov 2014 ) .....

The 1.9L conversion would be much cheaper then a 2.5 ..... the 2.5 is unknown in the US ,,,,if you ever get stranded .......

the ALH 1.9L with a VNT type turbo would give great power / economy ..... figure 25 mpg !

Dan

Old 03-21-2015, 12:04 AM   #4

Hi Dan,

Well now that you mention it... I have a 1.9 AHU in 'Vanamo' (my '87 DIY DOKA). I'm planning on dropping a 1.9TDI-m into that in a couple of months. I already have the engine and a Rover mechanical TDI pump for that application. I'm thinking of going to the 2.5TDI in full electronic guise because it's a bigger engine, can produce more reliable power/torque, I want to be the first kid on the block to have one, and... I think I can probably recoup the cost of conversion if I ever decide to sell the Rialta

Old 03-21-2015, 12:05 AM   #5

Old 08-26-2023, 01:50 AM   #6

Default Did you ever pull the trigger on this?

I know this its an old thread but I am wondering if the OP actually made an engine swap in his Rialta. I have my new to me 1995 and the first thing i though was this. Ive driven T5s with the 2.5 TDI and 5 speed srandard tranny and its perfect for this camper van size and weight. More even if you want to haul extra weight (motorcycle trailer for example)

It would be nice to know the name of the shop that does this cinversions in Ontario since I am in Manitoba... check on pricing etc.

Thanks
Serialtagio is offline   Reply With Quote