Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2022, 06:54 PM   #1

Default New Member from Oregon

After 30 years of VW Westfalias, we're making the switch to a Promaster 136HT converted by GTRV. Looking forward to having a reliable modern van for our adventures here in Oregon and and nearby!
larryburt5@icloud.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hello And Welcome !
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryburt5@icloud.com View Post
After 30 years of VW Westfalias, we're making the switch to a Promaster 136HT converted by GTRV. Looking forward to having a reliable modern van for our adventures here in Oregon and and nearby!
Congratulation, we had two Westfalias in seventies and eighties. Since 2013 we returned to camper van RV and enjoy it since. Have fun with your camper van, North West is great for small RV.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryburt5@icloud.com View Post
Did you get the 1500, 2500, or 3500?

I ordered the smallest Promaster option for a basic conversion and had it done at Colorado Camper. I talked to the friendly folks at GTRV about a number of options, but the logistics (and California tax issues) worked better through a Colorado converter. It is fun designing a rig that has everything you want, but nothing you don't...

Be sure to join the Promaster discussion forum and the Promaster Facebook page if you can tolerate that system. I have loved both of my Promasters, but they do have their quirks and issues... same as every vehicle. Both of mine have been very dependable, but I am a low mileage driver.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Welcome, the westies are hard to beat for simplicity and quality of build but they are missing the luxuries available in modern vans. We have owned 3 and know them well. The westies and the B vans are both similar communities and when you see an old VW it will always bring good memories.

This forum is particularly good for advice on almost any issue or someone will point you in the right direction for any help you need.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 05:05 PM   #6

I got the 1500 model. Promasters have a very high load capacity, we won't have a lot of heavy cabinetry, and I'm concerned about the already noticeable tilt, several inches higher in the rear. Hoping the van levels out after the build, if not, I will look into having the suspension modified, I've heard a leaf can be removed from the rear suspension.

I also looked into Colorado Camper, but GTRV in Sebastopol, California, is closer and I've been following their builds for several years.
larryburt5@icloud.com is offline   Reply With Quote