Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2021, 11:22 PM   #21
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
You wouldn’t want to pay what they would have to charge to just break even on the project. Get the generator out first then decide what you want to do. Go through the learning curve of repairing it yourself, take it to a small engine repair shop that doesn’t have RV in it’s name, or replace it with the new model.

The cheapest way will be to repair it yourself. Along the way consider replacing it with a new, fuel injected, no slip ring (inverter) generator. That is probably the wisest move but $3k is a lot of money.

Look at the bright side, you are going to learn a lot of things you need to know.

The charge for dropping the generator would be pushing $300. You will be well paid. Let us know when you get it out.

New carb is less than $40 on Ebay. Amazon has the fuel pump for less than $50. Bend over for a new voltage regulator. I don’t know any way to beat the $300 for that.

Basically agree and will add that new Onan is not LOUD.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:24 PM   #22

That's good to know..
thomas763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtwood View Post
When I had this problem I simply held the button down at the panel or on board until it starts. If needed, change plug and filters + oil. Many years ago I couldn’t start the genset so dropped it to have look. Turned out to be ‘green death.’ Driving on the salty eastern winter roads caused snow to pile up on the wiring harness which eroded the contacts. Replaced and insulated and away she went. Hope this helps.
At the time, I used a scissor jack and hydraulic jack positioned under two pilings or just 2x4’s. Lowered it down while on a dolly and it came out nicely. By jimmying the jacks you can take the bolts out without damage on both sides as well as the strapping bolts on the back and the ground wire bolt. It will be a bit of a struggle, but what isn’t. Good luck.
Burtwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:25 PM   #24

I appreciate everyone that shared their knowledge in this thread..
Old 02-15-2021, 11:32 PM   #25

Are you referring to the hex bolts that are on the generator cover facing down towards the ground?
Old 02-15-2021, 11:43 PM   #26

Did you need to use any power tools? The reason why I ask is because I live in the Roadtrek and not being able to have a generator would limit that option..
Old 02-15-2021, 11:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas763 View Post
Are you referring to the hex bolts that are on the generator cover facing down towards the ground?
No, if it is like mine, there will be two side plates and criss-cross straps on the back. The bolts on each side hold the genset as well as the back straps. If you take the right amount of care everything can be done without damage. The hex heads you are referring to have rubber cushions on the other side that the genset rests on. If it is like mine.
Burtwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:58 PM   #28

I'm just going off the top of my head from what I can remember after being under the van yesterday.. Are you referring to the 2 bolts that are facing out towards the passenger side of the van? FYI.. Its a 1996 Chevy Roadtrek 210 Popular.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:12 AM   #29

Also, since that generator's fuel supply is coming from the vehicle's fuel system is there anything I should know come time to dismount the generator from the vehicle to avoid fuel spillage?
Old 02-16-2021, 12:19 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas763 View Post
Also, since that generator's fuel supply is coming from the vehicle's fuel system is there anything I should know come time to dismount the generator from the vehicle to avoid fuel spillage?
Chase down the removing the generator thread. The fuel line will be removed from the drivers side forward corner of the generator. Remove the negative line to the battery. The 12 volt line to the generator is direct from the battery with no fuse and it will touch metal when you release it. You will have to drop the generator a bit and reach in up top to undo it. Probably a half inch bolt and nut under a rubber sleeve. You are gonna get so smart so quick!

The side bolts that hold it in will break if rusted.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:25 AM   #31

Awesome! Thanks for that info. I appreciate it
Old 02-16-2021, 08:42 PM   #32
Platinum Member

IIRC, Dinosaur makes a voltage regulator. I'm pretty sure that's what I installed on mine.

High slip ring resistance(previous owner neglect) did my regulator in.

I dunno if it was factory or not but there was a large double gang weatherproof junction box installed on the bottom of the floor on our 2000 200V. I was able to simple remove the cover and unhook the 120 AC wiring.

Installing a similar box if you don't have one will save some time and aggravation. Just cut the wires from the transfer switch to allow an extra 8" at the new junction box. Get new wires for the genny side that are long enough to also allow for an extra 8" at the box. It will make installing a bit easier instead of snaking wires up and reattaching and will save a ton of effort the next time the genny comes out.

BTW, while you are in there, take a good look at the muffler. FWIW, Cummins wanted well north of $200, found it online for about $140.

Also, give serious thought to an externally mounted low pressure fuel pump. That way the genny will not have to be lowered when the fuel pump fails. You could even put on a tap on the fuel line for an alternate intake for treatments and another post pump tap for remote filling of toys. I found having a tap to fill toys quite handy.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:09 PM   #33

When disconnecting the AC conduit from the onan MicroLite 2800 there seems to be a wire that goes inside the generator.. How would I disconnect that wire?
Old 02-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #34
Platinum Member

You don’t. Disconnect the other end at the transfer switch or cut it and install a junction box.

I guess you didn’t chase down the removing the generator thread.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:46 PM   #35

Just curious, has anyone converted their roadtrek 210 popular single wheel rear end into a dually?
Old 04-04-2021, 04:22 AM   #36

Hey All, does anyone no how strong the fiber glass roof is on a 1996 Roadtreck? I am 230 lbs and want to do some prep work to the roof for solar but am concerned if it will support my weight..