Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Newbs from GA

As the kids finish HS and we start to look toward eventual retirement, my wife and I are looking to travel more. Cruises are nice for some visiting some places, but for many more hitting the road is the way to go - hence my presence here.

I like the notion of a sub 20 foot B, while the wife kid of likes some B+ models for the added space for things like e-bikes. Driving a rig that wide - particularly backing it up - may break her of that, but we'll see. Our absolute length limit is 25 feet so that we can get into National Parks without an issue.

I suspect that we will start with something old & used to get our feet wet and hopefully the repair bills will be less than depreciation would be on something newer. But we're also keeping an eye on new stuff, because one day it will also be old & used. And in the mean time the engineer in me can gather ideas & notions of possibly doing my own DIY when I eventually have the time & space to maybe make that possible.

So this weekend it's off to the local Atlanta area RV show, wishing that we had the time & money to go to the big show in Hershey instead. I suspect that most all of this show will be towables of some sort, with a smattering of big A & C rigs. But we'll see, and I'm sure we'll have a good time.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
As the kids finish HS and we start to look toward eventual retirement, my wife and I are looking to travel more. Cruises are nice for some visiting some places, but for many more hitting the road is the way to go - hence my presence here.

I like the notion of a sub 20 foot B, while the wife kid of likes some B+ models for the added space for things like e-bikes. Driving a rig that wide - particularly backing it up - may break her of that, but we'll see. Our absolute length limit is 25 feet so that we can get into National Parks without an issue.

I suspect that we will start with something old & used to get our feet wet and hopefully the repair bills will be less than depreciation would be on something newer. But we're also keeping an eye on new stuff, because one day it will also be old & used. And in the mean time the engineer in me can gather ideas & notions of possibly doing my own DIY when I eventually have the time & space to maybe make that possible.

So this weekend it's off to the local Atlanta area RV show, wishing that we had the time & money to go to the big show in Hershey instead. I suspect that most all of this show will be towables of some sort, with a smattering of big A & C rigs. But we'll see, and I'm sure we'll have a good time.
Welcome to the forum LostInWoods!

I saw this posting at a PPL Consignment lot in Cleburne TX. A rare model and no longer made on the Promaster chassis. Was it simply not popular or was it over capacity with any sort of load of passengers and gear on board? Just too slow and cumbersome? Maybe someone will post who has one.

Regardless, the used Winnebago Trends sell pretty cheap yet pack a lot of space in a tidy package with sleeping capacity for up to six. If I didn't have mine, I'd probably drive up and look at it.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...trend_rv-43065
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
Platinum Member

LostinWoods, good luck on your search. Check out used Leisure Travel Vans or Pleasure Way campervans, both known for quality construction. LTV no longer makes their Class B Free Spirit, but we are very happy with ours.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
Gold Member

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the Trend and also the Paseo, and it's funny how the Trend does seem to be pretty cheap (comparatively) while the short-lived Paseo seems to hold value really well. Go figure.

I had not really looked at the older LTV class Bs, but saw that they once offered the Free Spirit SS, which had a slide. I'm curious what y'all's experience with slides might be.

My inclination is to avoid them as an eventual water problem. It rains a lot here and I won't have a place to garage an RV anytime soon. Pleasure Way's CEO said on a recent Ultramobility interview that they won't offer a slide because of water and their 5-year warranty. Is this a justified concern or maybe just paranoia on my part and perhaps theirs?
Old 09-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Unless you have a "toy hauler" bikes go on a rack behind the van - length of van doesn't matter. Some ebikes are quiet heavy so tongue weight of van and total weight of bikes and hitch needs to be considered. We have a ~23 foot Sprinter and find it has plenty of internal storage and comfort for us and still easy to drive...but everyone has different travel style.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I think figuring out how you intend to travel is the first step. If you are going to be stopped for a week or two at one location, then the interior living features are more important. If you are going to be constantly bouncing from place to place, then travel comfort and ease of set up and take-down are the key issues.

A lot of people with B's live "out" of their rig rather than living "in" it. We were tent campers and our Etrek gives us a place to get out of the cold and rain. We still spend most of our time outside when the weather permits. By contrast, my cousin goes south to get away from the snow. They travel around some, but often stay camped for a month or so stretch in one place. They have a class C.

Buying used makes sense in the same way it does for any vehicle. You let someone else pay the initial depreciation. But with RV's there is another issue. They are "built" rather than manufactured and often new ones have the same kind of problems you have with new home construction. Buying used lets someone else fix the builder's mistakes.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfichman View Post
Just saw this forum. 2008 Roadtrek RS, bought it new and love it. None of the fancy electronics, but it has been a great rig.
Doing another cross country trip this winter from Las Cruces NM to VA & down to FL and along the gulf back to NM
I look forward to sharing info.

Welcome to the Class B Forum:

Lots of fun and helpful members here on the Class Bs in General.

If you do head down to Florida checkout http://CampFlorida.com As this may be helpful in finding that special RV Park somewhere in the state of Florida.

Also, if you do any Wal-Mart Boondocking Stops this may be a useful link. Enjoy and safe TRAVELS. You can also find RV PARKS above in CAMPGROUNDS. Wal-Mart Parking locator & Bed & Briefest
http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

Now as for this Forum you may want to make note of the above two MENUs. The top Menu will open the forums for your reviews and feedbacks. The next MENU below is your MENU for inputting what you want fellow members to know about you. Please Click USER CP on the top left under the main menu and once open start at the top and slowly take them to step by step letting this forum know what you want about yourself, RV, Travels, History Thanks look forward to more POST.

Also, from time to time, you may get a note email from the administrators which you will find under your NAME on the top right.

Thanks for JOINING and Welcome to the Class B Forum. Safe Travels, Happy Trails and enjoy the adventures. Welcome.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote