Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #1

Default Transmission.....& water heater

We purchased our 2000 Rialta in 2005 with 30,000 miles on it. We had been pulling a 37' fifth wheel with a truck so needless to say we "downsized". We are very happy with our purchase and love the way it drives and the fact that you can park anywhere you like and get in all the camp spots.

Our first major trip out was a very expensive experience. We drove from AZ to Oregon and about Sacramento, CA the transmission went out. I knew that the previous owner had towed an enclosed trailer for his motorcycle and misc. stuff from Minn. to AZ and back a couple of times and there might have been too much weight to pull causing the transmission problem. But don't know for sure....anyway we now have a new transmission and all is well.

We are planning a 10,000 mile trip this summer and I have a question about the water heater? We have hot water when we are on the road because of the circulation from the engine, but when we are parked for a couple of days are not able to get hot water. The operators manual is not much help.

When we are plugged in to electricity while parked, doesn't the water heater function then....or is mine just not working properly?

I would appreciate hearing from someone regarding the hot water heater operation.

Thanks

F. Land

azlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Bronze Member

If you are plugged in and have turned on the switch as you enter the coach then you should have hot water. If not check the breaker. Other than that some one could have left the switch on when it was dry and burned it out.

Good luck!

csreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
Platinum Member

The Water Heater electric switch did not heat my water either in my 1999 HD. It turns out that the water heater on/off switch is not really adequate for the amps of the wiring and, in my case, the wires were melted at the switch. This probably happens to many of these by the looks of the thing. I got an actual water heater switch at Lowe's and it is gray in color as well as the backing plate. It is rated for high amps and a much safer bet. Once the new switch was installed the water heater worked like a charm!!! The 20 amp wiring from the water heater was too thick for the 15 amp rating of the original switch.

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote