Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default 12 volt tv question and dvd recorder

I am not sure if this is the right place for this topic but here it goes , i have an older 12 volt (and electric) tv its an rca color 13? inch tv xL100 model, i have had it since 1990 maybe , anyway it still works good except it seems like the speaker is playing out a little sometimes , i am wondering should i keep it and have it fixed later for the van use since it's 12 volt or would it be better to get an updated lcd 12 volt , why i am asking is i would imagine a lcd 12 volt would use less battery voltage than this older model not to mention taking up less space this is actually about 15 inches? from front to back . another question i have is do they make a 12 volt dvd recorder for rv's?
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: 12 volt tv question and dvd recorder

Funny you should ask.
I was in the hunt for a new TV last year. I had a 13" CRT TV that came with the Roadtrek
from the factory, and found out it drew about 108W, so to conserve power, and get a more
updated TV I started looking around.
The only decent quality 12V DC flat screens (specs-wise) I could find when I was looking
last year, was made by Jensen (aka ASA Electronics) in Elkhart, Indiana. They were true
12V DC power (possibly dual power, with a 110-120 AC option, I can't remember now) and
I sent them an email asking where I could get one. They suggested RV and Marine supply
retailers might have them. It seems some RV manufacturers use them as OEM factory
installs in their rigs, but they aren't normally sold by themselves. I checked around near
me, and sure enough, and no one had any in stock, and some places hadn't even heard
of them (12VDC powered LCD TV). So they might work, if you can find one. Maybe a wrecking
yard for RVs might have salvaged one or two?

So, not wishing to wait until my next trip to Indiana, I began searching the web for a
very low wattage draw 110 V AC powered TV, and settled on a Sharp flat screen 19" LCD
TV (LC19SB27U or UT) which only draws 29W. I now use it and run it off of a 150W
mini-inverter which plugs into the coach battery system in my Roadtrek. I have another
small (100W) inverter that I charge stuff with, or run our netbook from while we're out on
the road. I also have a small DVD player which we rarely use, but it's 12VDC powered.
I think there may be more options available for 12V DVD players. Try Walmart?

The TV cost me $330 (Canadian dollars) at Best Buy Canada.
The inverters I picked up at Canadian Tire on sale for abour $20/each.
You can probably get them just about anywhere. Both are fused for safety.
As I suggested, the DVD players are probably available anywhere too, but maybe Walmart?
If not, try an RV retailer or a Marine Supply store. They usually carry more 12V DC stuff.

You might also want to switch the dome light incandescent bulb in your Aerostar to an LED bulb
if you can find some. They draw about 1/10th the power of a standard incandescent, and will
save you some battery power off of your engine battery when you use your dome light at night.
Until you get some sort of coach battery system set up. Just a thought. There are some
threads on here that discuss LEDs as an option to save battery power.

Hey again lightspeed,
It occurs to me that to minimize space, you might consider a slightly thicker flat panel LCD
TV, with a built in DVD player. I'm also not sure about recording, but there might be one that does.
This site has some TV/DVD combos listed, so they do exist in 12V DC format.
http://www.roadtrucker.com/electronics-4.htm
Might be worth a think?
No idea what they consume power-wise, but you might want to do a bit of research on them.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Gold Member

Default Re: 12 volt tv question and dvd recorder

This is the 12V LCD TV/DVD we put in Taj recently.

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-di ... -9796.html

That same site has many 12V appliances including DVD players, but I didn't see any that were recorders. Might have to use a laptop with one built in for that purpose unless you want to run an inverter and haul a home sized unit. I didn't look any further than the 12volt-travel site though.

-Mike & Heidi
97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
http://WWW.VanTramps.Com
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote