Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2023, 01:47 PM   #1

Default 2000 Dodge American Cruiser

We found a 2000 American Cruiser with only 13,000 miles. They want $37,500. Do you think that is a good price? I can't seem to find values for this class B and we have never owned an RV before but we want to be able to travel with our 2 small dogs.
Kathy
Kittykat57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 05:26 AM   #2

We bought a 2000 a year ago with 55K on it for 25K. 13k miles is pretty low, should be in great shape. They're kind of rare, were only manufactured for a few years. It's hard to find information on them. I hear there's a facebook group you might check with, but I don't do facebook, so have never been on there.

We got the engine (Dodge) parts all checked out at a mechanic, had the owner show me that everything else was in working condition. Had to kind of learn on the fly how everything worked as we didn't have all the manuals, but enough I suppose to figure it out- it was our first RV. Didn't have a bed as advertised that converted to a queen so that was a project to get it to at least a semi-full. See my posts on here regarding that.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 02:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Didn't have a bed as advertised that converted to a queen.

Hey Dave I see jackknife beds on my local craigslist from time to time- maybe you should watch your local listings

regarding Dodges of that vintage, there can be issues with failing ECM's - seems that the aftermarket is making ecm's available

that seems like alot of money for that American Cruiser but that is the buyer's call. before the covid RV panic ( which is easing) I'd of guessed that to be a $18000 van.

the appliances used in our vans are almost always common to other makes- Suburban & Dometic manuals can be found online- the "grey areas" could be the design/build/location of electrical and plumbing systems. that is where other owners will be valuable
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 11:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Can't find any info on it tells you everything you need to know!

There are 2 ways to price something, price to sell or price to keep, guess they really want to keep it.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 03:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat57 View Post
We found a 2000 American Cruiser with only 13,000 miles. They want $37,500. Do you think that is a good price? I can't seem to find values for this class B and we have never owned an RV before but we want to be able to travel with our 2 small dogs.
Kathy
You obviously did not buy this, because I currently have a contract on the exact same rig, only I negotiated a lower price. Did you pass because of the price? I'm just curious if you checked it out in person and took it for a test drive? I am buying from out-of-state. It looks like a really clean unit, but It's also possible if it's sat for a long time it could have hidden issues. Vehicles that sit fo a long time are not necessarily all their cracked up to be.
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:48 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTroy View Post
It looks like a really clean unit, but It's also possible if it's sat for a long time it could have hidden issues. Vehicles that sit fo a long time are not necessarily all their cracked up to be.
Regarding "hidden issues," I don't know anything about this van, but, as I've reminded a few times recently, Dodges of this era must be checked for frame rust: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...mper-9697.html
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:15 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Buy a newer van and do a van build yourself.
Or buy an older van from state, county, and city sales and then do the build yourself. Generally vehicles are maintained well by city, county and state. Also, generally you can see their service records.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote