Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2023, 11:43 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Best small propane grill?

I've had bad luck with small propane grills. I'm looking for recommendations. I have a Roadtrek SS Agile and use either small propane bottles or the attachment hose to the RV that has the same threading as the bottles. My only requirements:

1. Can do a hard sear on a couple of steaks no problem (gets really hot)
2. Stays lit in the wind
3. Has a very small storage footprint.

Any suggestions appreciated! Cheers!
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
I've had bad luck with small propane grills. I'm looking for recommendations. I have a Roadtrek SS Agile and use either small propane bottles or the attachment hose to the RV that has the same threading as the bottles. My only requirements:

1. Can do a hard sear on a couple of steaks no problem (gets really hot)
2. Stays lit in the wind
3. Has a very small storage footprint.

Any suggestions appreciated! Cheers!

Magma makes a 9X12 grille that is very compact and gets very hot. We actually modified ours to run cooler because we like to grille chicken slowly and also pizza. The are made to run on bottles, but won't run on the attachment hose because that is likely regulated down to 10 psi so won't get very hot unless the regulator has been removed. 10 psi is not high pressure like bottles or low pressure like home appliances so very odd a choice on Roadtrek's part.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:27 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Second The Magma Grill

I also have a Magma 9X12 grill, which I've been very happy with. It gets plenty hot and is big enough to cook for two. I had to replace the regulator once due to my own carelessness. Spare parts are readily available at West Marine.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:50 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Thanks! I'll check it out. I actually compared the output with my current Cuisinart grill (that doesn't get hot enough) between a bottle and the 10 PSI hose. No difference.
Old 12-04-2023, 01:30 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Default OONI Pizza Oven?

Been looking at these (recently got hooked on sourdough) and I could justify one of these ovens if "multi-use." Seems somebody already thought about that and they can be hooked up to the RT propane drop. And, there are a number of grilling accessories too. Could be an option. Can't say. just thinking of the possibilities. High Heat, pizza on the road, steak, or burgers. Just need to look at the size and if I have space.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:53 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Hated My Cuisinart Grill

Quote:
Thanks! I'll check it out. I actually compared the output with my current Cuisinart grill (that doesn't get hot enough) between a bottle and the 10 PSI hose. No difference.
I had a Cuisinart "Petit Gourmet" grill that would not get hot enough and was real chore to clean. It's what I replaced with my Magma.

Generally, I've had great luck with Cuisinart brand products, but this one was awful.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:12 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:

The Cuisinart probably has a backflash restrictor in it. It usually would look like a sintered filter and near the inlet to the regulator. Our Fold-N-Go grille had one and it was horrible getting any real amount of gas through it.

Our Magma was very much different on the hose than bottle, at least in the output range we used it. It might get closer at the higher outputs.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:18 AM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Magma makes a 9X12 grille that is very compact and gets very hot. We actually modified ours to run cooler because we like to grille chicken slowly and also pizza. The are made to run on bottles, but won't run on the attachment hose because that is likely regulated down to 10 psi so won't get very hot unless the regulator has been removed. 10 psi is not high pressure like bottles or low pressure like home appliances so very odd a choice on Roadtrek's part.

Hey Booster, is there a part number with this? I'm only finding a 16x20 ish sized grill.
tlillard23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:27 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlillard23 View Post
Hey Booster, is there a part number with this? I'm only finding a 16x20 ish sized grill.

Here you go. They have jacked the price a lot lately, but sometimes deals are around. Even used on ebay sometimes.

https://magmaproducts.com/products/t...39505500176560
Old 12-04-2023, 03:05 AM   #10
Bronze Member

That's the same Cuisinart I have! Same problems. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2023, 03:09 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Thank you! $233 on Amazon, just ordered.
Old 12-04-2023, 03:16 AM   #12
Platinum Member

We use small Magma as well, it is stored on the ladder and it can be used on the ladder in the outer position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR02212.jpg (412.0 KB, 18 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:03 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Best one I found is a Weber. Consistently grills as well as its larger brothers. Packs small, made to disassemble and clean.
Weber Go-Anywhere Gas Grill, One Size, Black https://a.co/d/g1GCeBX
honeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 05:38 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Pit Boss portable Propane Grill

I got one of these and love it! It also just fits in my Road trek storage area. I think the single burner does fine, but they do have a 2-burner model.

Pit Boss Grills PB100P1 Pit Stop Single-Burner Portable Tabletop Grill , Grey https://a.co/d/25t9Rge
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshots_2023-12-10-13-37-59.png (603.7 KB, 4 views)
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:52 AM   #15
Bronze Member

I like the solaire portable gas grills, they’re not cheap but great for searing.. Most will connect to a propane bottle used for a torch but an adaptor cable will hook up to a big tank.

https://solairegasgrills.com/products/portable-grills/

Not for everyone, you can’t slow cook. But steaks, burgers, etc. they’re great. I love mine.
RTRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 06:31 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Magma

Hi
Magma ,,, we ad one on the back of our boat.
It's hot ,Hot, HOT, ours had a attachment so you could yse a pot on it.
We used it exclusively in the Bahamas from two months, for every thing from coffee and pancakes, to steaks. Great Grill and they know it $$$$$$
good luck
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote